Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CALLED ME; great talk with senior agent about demise of service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CALLED ME; great talk with senior agent about demise of service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I'm not saying it aint a big deal! Just asking why a 1K would use that as one of the reasons for leaving.
Because it reflects on the airline as a whole. Obviously not going to be numero uno, but hey, it is something.

I got questioned on why offshore call centers were a reason I left years ago as a 1K, when I had still (thankfully) had a US line. Because I don't want to be part of some cheap ... airline with lame offshore call centers for US based passengers, that's why. Would that single reason have made me leave? No, of course not, but it is definitely a negative in the running tally.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Because it reflects on the airline as a whole. Obviously not going to be numero uno, but hey, it is something.

I got questioned on why offshore call centers were a reason I left years ago as a 1K, when I had still (thankfully) had a US line. Because I don't want to be part of some cheap ... airline with lame offshore call centers for US based passengers, that's why. Would that single reason have made me leave? No, of course not, but it is definitely a negative in the running tally.
Also, 1Ks likely won't be 1Ks forever. If they've been fortunate enough to make it MM, it's a drastic reduction in the lifetime benefit that was promised from a long time ago.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Superguy
I've gone GTEMs to several FAs in my travels, but only one GA.
I think part of that is innate bias in the appreciation program. You spend hours with the FA. You spend no time to a few minutes with a GA (more now under SHARES of course ).
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I get the feeling that the war lines are being drawn (or have been drawn) in corporate HQ... as well as on the line. (e.g. CO employees proudly announcing that their flight is operated by CO pilots and FAs).

A lot of UA employees were (rightly) proud of the progress they'd made over the last decade really making great improvements in their hard and soft product, their website, and corporate culture that really worked hard to deliver for their loyal customers.

On the flip side, CO employees were proud of the accolades and reputation they'd received, pre, ~2005 when they came back from the grave as a well-run, smooth and slick operation. Unfortunately, that operation never really competed globally, nor did they have to play in the 'deep end' with myriad other airlines with complex itineraries, etc.

When they finally came together, the CO side was in the process of being gutted by a slick, sarcastic CEO, while UA was generally improving their product (IPTE in particular) and their operating economics were on the up and up.

The CO people, in their accolade/reputational arrogance, said they knew best, UA practices were a relic of 20 years ago, came in and said their (crappy) SHARES system would be better and cost less. The FF program would switch to OnePass policies, and the systems limitations inherent there, etc. No real merger of equals, it was a takeover, COdbaUA.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by pcharles

And next from "listening", is there a "doing"? Well we know what they (CO) are doing, but they made one big mistake. When they integrated shares and changed everyone's FF# into one, each person's number was supposed to start with $$XXXXXX. That's what all their attention is on now, fixing that. Its important you know.
LOVE the above, you should add one more $ so it's, $$$XXXXXX

Originally Posted by pcharles
Do you think Jeff shows up for the Halloween party and everyone goes, "Dracula! It looks so real, so life-like!! Awesome, how did you come up with that one AGAIN this year?!"
Where did you come up with this? I LOL'd driving thinking about this...."Dracula! So real....so life-like!" haha! We are all walking around with two holes on our necks....nickles and dimes sucked right out of us!

UG
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
what a tankless job having to listen to the complaints knowing they are valid and feigning concern knowing there is absolutely no hope.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by entropy
When they finally came together, the CO side was in the process of being gutted by a slick, sarcastic CEO, while UA was generally improving their product (IPTE in particular) and their operating economics were on the up and up.

The CO people, in their accolade/reputational arrogance, said they knew best, UA practices were a relic of 20 years ago, came in and said their (crappy) SHARES system would be better and cost less. The FF program would switch to OnePass policies, and the systems limitations inherent there, etc. No real merger of equals, it was a takeover, COdbaUA.
I have said as much regarding this "merger" as being a takeover, but you've done a really nice job of helping to explain WHY this has happened. Particularly w/r/t the airline fka United and HOW the CO policies came to be almost universal.

Thank you!
Dave
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uwr
Thank you for sharing your story with us.

I suggest that you edit your original post by adding the word "EDIT" followed by the paragraphs above. I think that some of the inflammatory language detracted from your message, and your clarification needs to come immediately, not several posts down the line.
Done!

Originally Posted by joshwex90
OP, if you're 1K, why does the 50% RDM reduction for Premier Gold bother you enough to leave?
This is my first year as 1K. Prior to this I was Gold (50k level) and Gold is all I will make again next year. I don't fly enough to hit 1K. 100% of my travel is personal leisure travel, so 1K was a once off.

Now I know how impossibel it is to use GPUs I' wont bother with 25k mileage runnning toi hit 1K.

I'll be back to Gold. So a 100% cut in RDM is a big deal for me next year.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 19, 2012 at 3:52 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 2012, 3:11 pm

I would just like to see that pompous, arrogant, smug Jeff Smisuck come out with an apology ad, like Jim did after the "Summer of Love" and admit that he screwed up with the merger and that he will make it up to every customer by resigning and having the board replace him with a competent and inspiring CEO.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
The CO people, in their accolade/reputational arrogance, said they knew best, UA practices were a relic of 20 years ago, came in and said their (crappy) SHARES system would be better and cost less.
It does cost less. When CO sold SHARES (former EA SystemOne) to EDS, they negotiated a free license to the software. UA did not do the same when they sold Apollo to Travelport/Worldspan, so UA had to pay a licensing fee every year it was in use. (I'd bet money UA paid more over time than they made in the initial sale.)

On a similar note, I believe AA just asked the BK court to void their contract with HP regarding Jetstream, their next-gen res system. That will be interesting to watch.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
If all goes well, I'll likely have no interaction with a GA other than handing them my BP. However, when the crap hits the fan, a great GA can make a huge difference if they're willing to go the extra mile.

Originally Posted by channa:18783594
Originally Posted by Superguy
I've gone GTEMs to several FAs in my travels, but only one GA.
I think part of that is innate bias in the appreciation program. You spend hours with the FA. You spend no time to a few minutes with a GA (more now under SHARES of course ).
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:41 pm

I get the feeling that the war lines are being drawn (or have been drawn) in corporate HQ... as well as on the line. (e.g. CO employees proudly announcing that their flight is operated by CO pilots and FAs).

A lot of UA employees were (rightly) proud of the progress they'd made over the last decade really making great improvements in their hard and soft product, their website, and corporate culture that really worked hard to deliver for their loyal customers.

On the flip side, CO employees were proud of the accolades and reputation they'd received, pre, ~2005 when they came back from the grave as a well-run, smooth and slick operation. Unfortunately, that operation never really competed globally, nor did they have to play in the 'deep end' with myriad other airlines with complex itineraries, etc.

^^^

Originally Posted by RickS2R
I would just like to see that pompous, arrogant, smug Jeff Smisuck come out with an apology ad, like Jim did after the "Summer of Love" and admit that he screwed up with the merger and that he will make it up to every customer by resigning and having the board replace him with a competent and inspiring CEO.
Zero chance of $mi$ek apologizing. The only hope we have is that the board fires him. As long as he's in that seat, this airline is in a race to zero.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by 1KPath
I think the defining word is "disconnect"...between senior management and the middle management/customer facing staff and, of course, the customer! 1KPath Cousin, who is a long time pilot for UA (two years from retirement), told me last month that, for the first time, he is embarrassed to say he works for United. Sad, Sad, Sad!
And if he flew through the SFH in 2000 and he's only embarrassed for the first time now, that is something.

Originally Posted by jacroweORD
one may not agree with upper mgts decisions etc, but they have a vision. maybe some don't like the vision, but they have one. they report to a board, and a board is going to demand a plan and a vision. certainly they have made some mistakes, but they have a plan for where they are going.
A vision that the workforce doesn't understand, believe, or support is no vision at all. And there's no apparent vision for United beyond extracting every possible dollar from every customer every day. They sure aren't setting out to be the quality leader, or the service leader, or the irrops recovery leader, or the price / value leader. The only vision most employees seem to have left is a vision of a stiff drink at the end of the shift.

I have worked for horrible, craven, incompetent, let's-screw-the-customer management in the past, and there is no more sickening feeling for a committed employee trying to do a good job. Not that all PMUA employees fall into that category by any means, but still.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm somewhat surprised that these personnel have been so frank (and that the one on your plane would come forward to have her ear bent for 30 minutes). But I don't begrudge them at all for frankly sharing their perspectives.
I say go nuts. The whole operation is degenerating on a massive scale anyway. After 8 July I'm staying far away, no more UA bookings, so I'm rooting for total employee mutiny and meltdown, resulting in a wholesale management change. The only hope left is to torch the place. Reminds me of the old Vietnam war quote about how it was necessary to destroy the village in order to save it, but in this case it's the truth.

I get the feeling that the war lines are being drawn (or have been drawn) in corporate HQ... as well as on the line.
I agree. It's a dark and grim time in the history of UA. Hatred for the brand increases every day. If there's going to be a war for the soul of the company, with mass casualties and ultimately a coup d'etat or something, game on.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I've seen some tangible "good cop" improvements! They seem to be tied directly to revenue, rather than something more nebulous like "goodwill". Improved meals and enhanced amenity kits in the international BusinessFirst cabin provide a great incentive to spend more money to buy a business-class fare.
Me too - several times in a row now, so I don't think it's just a coincidence. The international meals (business) have definitely been improved!

Originally Posted by TIMOS

Now I know how impossibel it is to use GPUs I' wont bother with 25k mileage runnning toi hit 1K.
It is absolutely possible to use GPU's! I have been able to find R inventory for about 50% of the international flights I've taken this year (8) at booking. It requires planning ahead and some date flexibility though, something that I know is not possible for everyone.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by BearX220
And if he flew through the SFH in 2000 and he's only embarrassed for the first time now, that is something.
Both he and my second UA pilot cousin had been recalled to military service in 1999 and 2000...so they were not flying for UA during that time. Saying that, they both admit that the pilot action was not handled well and resulted in a lot of bad PR for the pilots and pain for customers...and this coming from a die hard union guy...but he also sees the demise of the airline industry as he knew it...and as our fathers knew it...with air travel becoming a mere commodity. He feels little pride in a company that is being run by bean counters only concerned with the immediate bottom line...having a complete disconnect with their customer facing staff and customers. If management lacks passion for the industry they run, is it any wonder that rank and file are feeling the way they do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.