Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Agent pulled RPU instead of GPU for International Reservation

Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum

Should I be concerned? I upgraded an international flight over the phone today (couldn't do it on line for some reason). Upgrade cleared as expected since there was one R seat available. But now that I'm reviewing my account summary, I noticed that the agent deducted an RPU instead of an GPU. Should I spend the time to correct this mistake if it will cause a problem on the date of travel? Or should I ignore it?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I would keep quiet.

Worst case, they take a GPU from you.

You can always ask RPU back in the case.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I'd set aside a couple of hours and call them to correct it.

I have spent a couple of HOURS getting SWU/GPUs moved in and out of our accounts: the last time I had GPUs returned to my husbands account the expiration date changed to 9/30/2012 instead of 12/31/2012. So that took a call to the MP1K desk and 45 minutes to get them to restore the GPU expiration date to the end of the year. It did take a supervisor to do it.

At the gate they very likely will not want to pull a GPU:better to have it sorted ahead of time.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by entrada
Should I be concerned? I upgraded an international flight over the phone today (couldn't do it on line for some reason). Upgrade cleared as expected since there was one R seat available. But now that I'm reviewing my account summary, I noticed that the agent deducted an RPU instead of an GPU. Should I spend the time to correct this mistake if it will cause a problem on the date of travel? Or should I ignore it?
Why are you posting this here? If you can select a BF seat then take it and keep quiet. If there's any challenge at the airport - unlikely, if you have a seat assignment - then it's nothing to do with you and everything to do with how UA's employees handled your RQ.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Exclamation

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Why are you posting this here? If you can select a BF seat then take it and keep quiet. If there's any challenge at the airport - unlikely, if you have a seat assignment - then it's nothing to do with you and everything to do with how UA's employees handled your RQ.
+1

Agreed.

I have few things went my way, but I don't feel like posting here.

Since 3/3 I have spent hours and hours dealing with UA for some trivial stuff.

If I got a break once in a while, I feel that I am "ENTITLED" to it.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by entrada
Is this a BusinessFirst market or International Business? If it's BF then I'd keep quiet if the e-ticket is synced properly... if it's International Business then a RPU was the correct upgrade instrument pulled.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Just say thank you, hang up, and pat yourself on the back.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Just throwin' this out there:

Is this a intl itinerary that has a domestic segment?

If so make sure that the RPU wasn't just pulled for the Domestic portion.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by kb1992
+1

Agreed.

I have few things went my way, but I don't feel like posting here.

Since 3/3 I have spent hours and hours dealing with UA for some trivial stuff.

If I got a break once in a while, I feel that I am "ENTITLED" to it.
Well said. One of the few benefits of archaic and manual systems and processes is the chance of an error in your favor.

Remember that agents manually debit upgrades in the system. Sometimes they double charge you. Sometimes they pull the wrong one.

You won this time. Move on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.