Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 17, 12, 4:11 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K MM
Agent pulled RPU instead of GPU for International Reservation

Should I be concerned? I upgraded an international flight over the phone today (couldn't do it on line for some reason). Upgrade cleared as expected since there was one R seat available. But now that I'm reviewing my account summary, I noticed that the agent deducted an RPU instead of an GPU. Should I spend the time to correct this mistake if it will cause a problem on the date of travel? Or should I ignore it?
entrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 4:19 pm   #2

I would keep quiet.

Worst case, they take a GPU from you.

You can always ask RPU back in the case.
kb1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 4:40 pm   #3

Programs: United 1K 1.9 MM
I'd set aside a couple of hours and call them to correct it.

I have spent a couple of HOURS getting SWU/GPUs moved in and out of our accounts: the last time I had GPUs returned to my husbands account the expiration date changed to 9/30/2012 instead of 12/31/2012. So that took a call to the MP1K desk and 45 minutes to get them to restore the GPU expiration date to the end of the year. It did take a supervisor to do it.

At the gate they very likely will not want to pull a GPU:better to have it sorted ahead of time.
mmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 5:31 pm   #4
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrada View Post
Should I be concerned? I upgraded an international flight over the phone today (couldn't do it on line for some reason). Upgrade cleared as expected since there was one R seat available. But now that I'm reviewing my account summary, I noticed that the agent deducted an RPU instead of an GPU. Should I spend the time to correct this mistake if it will cause a problem on the date of travel? Or should I ignore it?
Why are you posting this here? If you can select a BF seat then take it and keep quiet. If there's any challenge at the airport - unlikely, if you have a seat assignment - then it's nothing to do with you and everything to do with how UA's employees handled your RQ.
redtailshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 5:44 pm   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtailshark View Post
Why are you posting this here? If you can select a BF seat then take it and keep quiet. If there's any challenge at the airport - unlikely, if you have a seat assignment - then it's nothing to do with you and everything to do with how UA's employees handled your RQ.
+1

Agreed.

I have few things went my way, but I don't feel like posting here.

Since 3/3 I have spent hours and hours dealing with UA for some trivial stuff.

If I got a break once in a while, I feel that I am "ENTITLED" to it.
kb1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 7:15 pm   #6

Programs: AS MVPG | UA 1K | IHG GOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrada View Post
Is this a BusinessFirst market or International Business? If it's BF then I'd keep quiet if the e-ticket is synced properly... if it's International Business then a RPU was the correct upgrade instrument pulled.
usa18dca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 7:19 pm   #7

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, TK Star Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG
Just say thank you, hang up, and pat yourself on the back.
weirdlyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 12, 7:22 pm   #8

Programs: UA 1P, HH Gold, CGI Plat, Mariott Gold
Just throwin' this out there:

Is this a intl itinerary that has a domestic segment?

If so make sure that the RPU wasn't just pulled for the Domestic portion.
Old Jun 17, 12, 8:00 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; DL Plat; AS MVP Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz 5-Star; Avis First/Pres Club, National Exec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1992 View Post
+1

Agreed.

I have few things went my way, but I don't feel like posting here.

Since 3/3 I have spent hours and hours dealing with UA for some trivial stuff.

If I got a break once in a while, I feel that I am "ENTITLED" to it.
Well said. One of the few benefits of archaic and manual systems and processes is the chance of an error in your favor.

Remember that agents manually debit upgrades in the system. Sometimes they double charge you. Sometimes they pull the wrong one.

You won this time. Move on.