Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

13 June 2012 - UA 1632 [IAH-LGA] Severe turbulence injures five

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

CNN: Severe turbulence injures five

Good reason to pay attention to the seat belt sign!! It sounds like it was unexpected and, I imagine, was probably scary for those on the flight!

(CNN) -- Turbulence forced a United Airlines flight bound for New York's LaGuardia Airport to land shortly after takeoff Tuesday night and sent five people to the hospital, a United spokeswoman confirmed.

Shortly after United Airlines Flight 1632 took off from Houston's Intercontinental Airport at 8:08 p.m., the flight "experienced severe turbulence and diverted to Lake Charles, Louisiana, at 8:41 p.m.," spokeswoman Amy Ryan said.

Lake Charles Regional Airport Executive Director Heath Allen told CNN affiliate KPLC that three of the injured were members of the flight crew.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 14, 2012 at 5:40 am Reason: added details missing from thread title
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
For chrissakes, wear your selt belts on the plane, folks. Otherwise, you can be next person taken off on a stretcher.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
More details on AVHerald, although they don't mention the passenger injuries, just the FAs.

"The FAA confirmed one crew member received serious, two others minor injuries. The aircraft received no damage."
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
For chrissakes, wear your selt belts on the plane, folks. Otherwise, you can be next person taken off on a stretcher.
Actually you should always wear your seatbelt!
If you choose not to and become injured through turbulence, you should not be allowed to sue the airline!

Originally Posted by docbert
"The FAA confirmed one crew member received serious, two others minor injuries. The aircraft received no damage."
Amendment:
I hope the crew member is fine and well taken care of by the airline company.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
More details on AVHerald, although they don't mention the passenger injuries, just the FAs.

In these circumstances, the in flight crew are at high risk.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In these circumstances, the in flight crew are at high risk.
And while I know there can always be a bad apple, I'd hope that most pax understand why they might not get a drink in said circumstances in order to look out for the crew's safety as well.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
1. If you see the video, you could see lightening at the back.

(No wonder for bad weather...)

2. There is a reason why FA announces each time keep your seatbelt fastened even the fasten seatbelt light is not on.

Hope everyone okay.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
And while I know there can always be a bad apple, I'd hope that most pax understand why they might not get a drink in said circumstances in order to look out for the crew's safety as well.
I'll never take a drink when it's bumpy. Was on a flight once where all the drinks hit the ceiling (a couple laptops too). Only need to see that once...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: Continited, DL, KLM/AF, AA, US, AS, AC, VS, LH, BA, QF, NH
According to the local media, the FA is still hospitalized in "serious" condition.

We've had some hellacious thunderstorms over the last few days, with more forecasted over the weekend. No golf for me.

KPLC also reported that "on Tuesday, the airport saw five diversions alone, including an international flight."
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:54 pm

Looks like the FA is still in the hospital in serious condition. Stay buckled folks!

One of our FAs is hospitalized in serious condition from this incident. She suffered broken fingers, broken collarbone, 12 broken ribs, her pelvis was broken in 4 places and she has neck and spinal injuries. sCO CLE based FA
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TimF1975
I'll never take a drink when it's bumpy. Was on a flight once where all the drinks hit the ceiling (a couple laptops too). Only need to see that once...
Years and years ago, I was on a Piedmont DH-8 flight, it was really bumpy. One guy had a bloody Mary, the fa asked everyone to dispose of their drinks foe safety reasons. This guy refused, and was pretty rude to the fa about it. One nice bump and he was wearing his drink. I silently cheered.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.