Wiki Posts
Search

FA refuses to give name

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, AA-XP
FA refuses to give name

First off. This is a small nit pick on my side. My general experiences with FAs are usually positive.

On today's UA667 from LAX to LAS was in F on a paid ticket. As he was serving me my pre takeoff beverage I was being friendly and asked, like I do all FAs and he said: I don't give my name. I asked why? He said "I just don't. I've flown international enough to know not to"

What the heck? Common decency?

Last edited by jbharvey; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:02 am Reason: Corrected LAD to LAS, lol.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: United Gold
That's strange, but if he didn't want to give his name, why not just give a pseudonym?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-GS, AA-XP
LOL exactly. Just really weird and not very customer service oriented.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by jbharvey
First off. This is a small nit pick on my side. My general experiences with FAs are usually positive.

On today's UA667 from LAX to SYD I was in F on a paid ticket. As he was serving me my pre takeoff beverage I was being friendly and asked, like I do all FAs and he said: I don't give my name. I asked why? He said "I just don't. I've flown international enough to know not to"

I can understand why the FA chose not to however he could have given a pen name or something. This happened to my friend recently, a couple had asked her for her name and she provided excellent service to the entire First Class cabin by calling everyone their first names, was very attentive, and professional on sUA. Lo and behold the couple sent in an nastygram stating that the FA was too "up and about" in the F cabin... Needless to say I wrote in to Corporate and had that issue resolved.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by usa18dca
I can understand why the FA chose not to however he could have given a pen name or something. This happened to my friend recently, a couple had asked her for her name and she provided excellent service to the entire First Class cabin by calling everyone their first names, was very attentive, and professional on sUA. Lo and behold the couple sent in an nastygram stating that the FA was too "up and about" in the F cabin... Needless to say I wrote in to Corporate and had that issue resolved.
Kettles on ToD'$? Sorry and I'll head to the penalty box but glad you were able to get it resolved ^
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
make one up.."francis" is always a good one...(from Stripes)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by jbharvey

On today's UA667 from LAX to LAD was in F on a paid ticket. As he was serving me my pre takeoff beverage I was being friendly and asked, like I do all FAs and he said: I don't give my name. I asked why? He said "I just don't. I've flown international enough to know not to"

Should have just told you John or something equally generic.

Could be that like a lot of people he doesn't like to be called by his first name by strangers.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jun 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I guess he won't get any atta-boys with the new app.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-program.html
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I am not sure that this matters. If you write to Customer Service (or the 1K desk or whatever), the folks there can figure out whom you mean by giving your name and seat number (and if you can describe the FA at all--gender, glasses or not, etc.). I have written both complaints and compliments (far more the latter) about FAs and at least the 1K desk has always--at least when it was responding--responded with "thank you for letting us know that Ms. Jones gave you excellent service" or "we are sorry that Mr. Smith' service was unsatisfactory. We have passed your comments on to his supervisor," even if I had no idea of the FA's name.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
that's an odd and agreed, unfriendly response.
I have run into a couple of real odd ball attendants in US Airways First Class. On United, I've so far run into nothing but good service in FC.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:25 pm

Location: The counter of lost hopes and dreams, and for the creation of new ones in DEN
Programs: MP Rehab... or something like that...
Very understandable if one of my 80,000 coworkers does not want to give his/her name out because I've seen the burns that fellow coworkers have endured on certain metrics that used to be posted in our breakrooms. As for myself, my personal belief in these situations is give them what they want for I always have some type of logic/CYA background to accompany the story told... if I am doing something wrong, I want to know so I may set the bar of customer service higher for myself to provide even better service than expected... but again, I'm an unusual agent than the rest and will always try to better myself...

Cheers
-CLE-
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by CleUnited
Very understandable if one of my 80,000 coworkers does not want to give his/her name out because I've seen the burns that fellow coworkers have endured on certain metrics that used to be posted in our breakrooms. As for myself, my personal belief in these situations is give them what they want for I always have some type of logic/CYA background to accompany the story told... if I am doing something wrong, I want to know so I may set the bar of customer service higher for myself to provide even better service than expected... but again, I'm an unusual agent than the rest and will always try to better myself...

Cheers
-CLE-
is it a requirement that FAs wear a name tag?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Expect great service: yes. Expect an employee in a service industry to share personal info: creepy.

What's next, requiring employees to date customers?

Nothing rude or unprofessional in such a refusal.

If I were running an airline I'd require employees to wear name tags unique for each flight, and make it clear in the in flight magazine that these are pen names selected for pax convenience (so that an employee is not addressed as "hey you").

In lieu of such a policy, don't mistake a reasonable demand for privacy as rudeness.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 18, 2012 at 7:28 am Reason: removed now-deleted quote
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
Expect great service: yes. Expect an employee in a service industry to share personal info: creepy.

What's nest, requiring employees to date customers?

Nothing rude or unprofessional in such a refusal.
most service industry people wear a name tag, not their SSN..just a name..
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by jacroweORD
most service industry people wear a name tag, not their SSN..just a name..
Addressed in my edit to my post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.