Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

OnePass Pluss CC: Upgrades on Award Flights Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond

I have a Chase Continental Onepass Pluss CC. One of the benefits was being eligible for upgrades on award flights. Luckily it has always worked for me on the 3 award flights I've booked as I was always on the list and upgraded when my status allowed.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I booked my first award flight since the merger. I checkin at the EWR counter and ask why I was not on the list. The agent (who was pmua.. could tell by the pmua uniform) told me I couldn't get upgraded because it was an award flight. I explained to her about the credit card benefit and it being a pmco thing and she told me she never heard of any such thing and doubted it. I asked for a supervisor and she told me to go find one. Gotta love EWR lol. I asked another agent as I didn't see any supervisors and she told me it was only valid on domestic flights not international.

So I called United to try and get it resolved on the phone and the agent told me that it is only valid for 1K and GS and that they got rid of it when the airlines merged.

So fast forward to a few days later come my return flight I was on the upgrade list. I was checking in at BOG and asked the agent what place I was on the upgrade list when she told me I cant be on the list because it was an award ticket lol. I honestly didnt expect them to even know about the CC benefit considering they are overseas, but I explained it to her and she told me no I was wrong there is no such thing and wanted to try to take me off the list. I had to argue with her and explain to her I wouldn't even be on the list to begin with if what I was saying wasn't true so after that she just gave up and let me stay on the list to which I was luckily upgraded.

I tried looking for some info online and couldn't find anything and am looking for some clarification on this. Is this benefit still around? Did they change it for only 1K/GS?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by xkr0p
I have a Chase Continental Onepass Pluss CC. One of the benefits was being eligible for upgrades on award flights. Luckily it has always worked for me on the 3 award flights I've booked as I was always on the list and upgraded when my status allowed.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I booked my first award flight since the merger. I checkin at the EWR counter and ask why I was not on the list. The agent (who was pmua.. could tell by the pmua uniform) told me I couldn't get upgraded because it was an award flight. I explained to her about the credit card benefit and it being a pmco thing and she told me she never heard of any such thing and doubted it. I asked for a supervisor and she told me to go find one. Gotta love EWR lol. I asked another agent as I didn't see any supervisors and she told me it was only valid on domestic flights not international.

So I called United to try and get it resolved on the phone and the agent told me that it is only valid for 1K and GS and that they got rid of it when the airlines merged.

So fast forward to a few days later come my return flight I was on the upgrade list. I was checking in at BOG and asked the agent what place I was on the upgrade list when she told me I cant be on the list because it was an award ticket lol. I honestly didnt expect them to even know about the CC benefit considering they are overseas, but I explained it to her and she told me no I was wrong there is no such thing and wanted to try to take me off the list. I had to argue with her and explain to her I wouldn't even be on the list to begin with if what I was saying wasn't true so after that she just gave up and let me stay on the list to which I was luckily upgraded.

I tried looking for some info online and couldn't find anything and am looking for some clarification on this. Is this benefit still around? Did they change it for only 1K/GS?
Here is the relevant information from UA:

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.

I have printed out a copy of this page and carry it with me (See bottom of the page).

I suspect that less than 10% of UA personnel know the policy.

I have not had an issue with the upgrade of an award ticket in the last two months. 6 for 6 have been automatically upgraded at T-96 (my 1K window).
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for the link, I couldn't find it on the website. The fact that hardly any of the agents know about this whether on the phone or at the airport is troubling.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:48 am

I thought CPUs only applied to North American and Intra-Asian routes, so why should this work on BOG-EWR? What am I missing?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
I thought CPUs only applied to North American and Intra-Asian routes, so why should this work on BOG-EWR? What am I missing?
Northern region of South America is CPU eligible. See my same link above.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Someone who knows more about fare codes will post but....

There's something to do with the awards tickets being put in as X when they're supposed to be XN.....or something like that

People have called the airline and had it manually changed because if it is incorrect in system you will never be on the u/g list.

Aha!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...merged-39.html

Here's the thread - discussion on fare classes in the pages 31 onward.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 13, 2012 at 6:45 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 13, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
Someone who knows more about fare codes will post but....

There's something to do with the awards tickets being put in as X when they're supposed to be XN.....or something like that

People have called the airline and had it manually changed because if it is incorrect in system you will never be on the u/g list.
Short story - It used to be that only X was upgraded and not XN, however they seem to have this fixed over the past couple of months. That being said....... I have only had luck being upgraded during the upgrade windows, if you are not upgraded by the time of check-in, then it does not transfer you onto the airport standby upgrade list - and good luck trying to have someone add you to the list!!!!! Almost ALL of the agents and supervisors look at you like you have two heads and say they have never heard of it, and that it can't be done - even if you show them information from the web site.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:06 am

Never worked for me .... even for the four segments I flew about 2-3 weeks ago. I had a mix of X and XN fares.

Worked for a family member I purchased tickets for though.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Here is the relevant information from UA:

Upgrading award tickets

Premier members who are primary cardholders for certain Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades when traveling on award tickets on United-operated flights. The following credit cards qualify for this benefit:

MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business
OnePass Plus
World MasterCard for Business
Presidential Plus
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Club Card
MileagePlus Club Business Card

Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.

I have printed out a copy of this page and carry it with me (See bottom of the page).

I suspect that less than 10% of UA personnel know the policy.

I have not had an issue with the upgrade of an award ticket in the last two months. 6 for 6 have been automatically upgraded at T-96 (my 1K window).
We just received our MP Club Cards. We are both 1k: I think my husband is the "primary"account holder. Does this mean that if we redeem award tickets for LIH-SFO that only one of us is eligible to UG the award ticket?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.