Wiki Posts
Search

T-giving Saturday V-UP is cheapest fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
T-giving Saturday V-UP is cheapest fare

I am booking travel for Thanksgiving Saturday and I am finding that the cheapest fare for an ORD-PVD leg is a V-UP. This true whether one way or roundtrip. Kayak lists the fare code as V2UP*** . United lists the code as P. Total cost is $280. The plane appears largely empty save for ~3 FC seats and 5 E+ seats and 20 seats in the back. First, V is an expensive fare to be the cheapest available. Second, since when is V an up fare? I wonder if this is to satisfy so some sort of performance metric regarding the number of paid F fares.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 38,000feet
... First, V is an expensive fare to be the cheapest available. ...
the cheaper seats have been sold for peak holiday travel period

... Second, since when is V an up fare? ....
-UP fares are different from YBM Instant upgrades, V-UP is rare but not unknown. Search the old UA forum for "V-UP" and you will see a handful of threads.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
The plane is almost empty. Maybe they have just zeroed out the cheaper seats for the holiday. But if that's so, why wouldn't they exclusively sell more expensive F buckets by the same logic? This feels like a rev. dept miscue or evidence of a strange revenue 1st class performance metric.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... But if that's so, why wouldn't they exclusively sell more expensive F buckets by the same logic? ....
a -UP fare is not a F bucket and is a F seat only if P (or A?) is available.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:27 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
a -UP fare is not a F bucket and is a F seat only if P (or A?) is available.
AFAIK, on the domestic sectors, all UP fares book into P.

A is still considered a true F fare bucket along with F.

I agree with others, if they are expecting, based on historical demand, to sell the F cabin quite well then they should zero out P inventory since there will be plenty of people who will pay for F/A fare. Again, the UP program is still new so maybe that is something they still need to "refine" over time?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
During the holidaze, the dynamics of traveler profiles reverse. Biz travel is down, family travel is up.
Demand for Coach increases so fares rise (via lower buckets selling out early).
Demand for First decreases, so lower fares are offered (because the few P buckets remain unsold).

Having rising Coach fares meet (or even exceed) lower F fares isn't as rare as you'd think.
When I'm searching, unless I can grab one of the super low Coach buckets, I re-scan requesting Y/B/M and again requesting First. You just never know what you'll find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.