Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA 1551 LAX-IAD 7-Jun-2012 - FC Oversold by 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 1551 LAX-IAD 7-Jun-2012 - FC Oversold by 2

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Given I've been downgraded with no compensation, yes, I'd probably be happy with the $500. I wouldn't be thrilled with a transcon middle, but hey, I've been stuck there before due to irrops.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I thought the offer for $500 was decent, especially hearing stories of all the downgrades without compensation.

I was surprised that they actually solicited volunteers and not just selected 2 passengers for downgrade.

I think the automatic upgrade for Y/B and maybe M is part of the problem creating oversold FC. Heck if UA still kept the upgrade with instruments, then there would not likely be any issue.

Since most flights I've been on had upgrades processed at the gate, I was surprised that all upgrades were already in place a couple of days before flight and they oversold. It appears the system handled this flight poorly.

I booked my flight a week ago and was only able to select middle seat exit row. So, yes I would have been OK with volunteering for downgrade for $500.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I wish this would happen to me, for $500 I'll sit in a middle seat! Hell, I did it twice last year on VDBs and I only got $400
Me too - in an exit row or E+
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I can't imagine downgrading someone without offering something... But, UA does oversell first.
Originally Posted by musing
I was downgraded from an upgraded FC seat because of a last minute full fare FC passenger and was given no compensation...
My 82-year-old mother-in-law was flying DCA-IAH-SEA in F this past Wednesday and on the first leg was involuntarily downgraded to a middle seat in Y. This despite her showing up at the airport with F BPs in hand. Not a hint of compensation and when she got to SEA she wasn't clear on exactly what had happened to her. I am virtually certain the DCA gate agent picked out the F passenger least likely to fight back and disadvantaged her.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by BearX220
My 82-year-old mother-in-law was flying DCA-IAH-SEA in F this past Wednesday and on the first leg was involuntarily downgraded to a middle seat in Y. This despite her showing up at the airport with F BPs in hand. Not a hint of compensation and when she got to SEA she wasn't clear on exactly what had happened to her. I am virtually certain the DCA gate agent picked out the F passenger least likely to fight back and disadvantaged her.
file a complaint with DOT: a 82 year old woman should not have this happen to her.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/problems.htm

use the one for age discrimination.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA1K
flying IAD-YYZ on 5/28...2A on the e70 was broken. so they had to dg someone to Y. offered $400, and he goes "YES!"
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, though not often.

I actually took the bump in such a situation once, though I had them push me to DL rather than take a downgrade.
i'm guessing this happened pre 3/3, yes? i can't imagine the new united putting you on another carrier...?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by andryas
It happened to me due to change of equipment, sCO 753 to 752 with BF seats. I, along with three other elites, got downgraded for $250 voucher (IAH-LAX). The funny thing is, when the door was about to close, the red coat came in and told us who got the downgrade (seated in the same row) there was one seat available in F, but we had to give the voucher back. No takers! I guess the free upgrade worth less than $250
LOL!
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
That sentiment would go over like a lead balloon on Flyertalk. For some reason, folks on here hate "battleship" upgrades. When I get an upgrade, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth...but, others on here do complain.
Battleship LOL this as comical as The numbers the movie Did in theaters.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Continental250K
Battleship LOL this as comical as The numbers the movie Did in theaters.
Reminds me of Biff in Back to the Future...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I think the general consensus is that if downgraded from F to Y on a complimentary upgrade, United isn't technically obligated to provide compensation, but a decent/good GA would realize the disservice and offer compensation as goodwill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.