Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Likelihood of clearing the wait list?" thread (International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Likelihood of clearing the wait list?" thread (International)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Only 3 seats left in the first flight and 5 on the return. The J number is what matters.

Your status does not matter but the fare does (K is near the bottom).

You will be prioritized by your sponsor's status and then by fare.

This is a CPU flight, all GS, all those on Y/B fares and any 1K using certs/miles or on M fare will be ahead of you. All others, including non-GS on CPU will be below you.
GS is probably not an issue because of the PN values would clear the GS immediately.

I would say the odds for the outbound are poor to fair and the odd for the rerun if it gets no worse on sold seats is a bit better.
Thanks, that was my guess. He said the agent he talked to (I guess he called because he had never given them to someone else before) said she thought they would clear on the return. If they do, is this something that'll happen before check-in? If we get to check-in time and nothing has happened yet, what happens then, since that's when the regular CPU list starts?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure I would ever say that about a silver waitlisted on a hub-to-hub.

P9 PN8 means there's a decent change UA will open R at some point. Where a silver will come out is a different question. Particularly since UA has absolutely flooded the market with RPUs.
You're right, of course. I applied my personal bias/experience as a 1K and transferred it to OP.

However, the other two non-stop flights that day are showing Z0, P0, so OP is lucky that he is not on one of those flights, and at least has a decent chance of making it.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by horse glasses
....If they do, is this something that'll happen before check-in? If we get to check-in time and nothing has happened yet, what happens then, since that's when the regular CPU list starts?
If they don't clear in advance, they still can clear at the gate. You will be ahead on the priority than most CPU .
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I don't know whether this is the correct thread for posting this -

I have not played the UA GPU lottery for a long time now, since Lifemiles was great for confirmed C at a bargain price. Now that this option has disappeared, I am back to trying my luck at the GPU lottery again, and was wondering how things have changed in the last 2 years and if I my past experience is still relevant.

I know that SFO-FRA was always hit or miss but am I correct in still assuming that a flight that is Z9 ZN9 P9 (eg., UA 903 on 11/20) is probably a "safe" bet for a lowly 1k ? And that Z9 ZN9 P0 (eg. UA 990 SFO-CDG on 11/20 or 11/22 or ORD-AMS with similar loads) is a bit more difficult but not out of reasonable probability? It is around thanksgiving and I doubt there will be many last minute corporate business purchases ?

Thanks.

Last edited by 1k650; Oct 26, 2014 at 11:07 pm
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:05 pm
mhy

Programs: JGC
Worth waiting for the waitlist to clear for mileage upgrade to Business?

Hello,

I am taking a vacation trip back to Japan for New Year's . I'll be on the United EWR-NRT departing in late Dec and NRT-EWR returning in mid-January.

I've already purchased an Economy Plus seat on the outbound EWR-NRT leg, since I'm over 6 feet tall and the last time I bought Economy Plus it made a heck of a difference.

Now my question is - how good of a chance, realistically, do I have to successfully get a mileage upgrade (30,000 miles, which I already have, + $500 copay) to BusinessFirst on the way back if the availability is currently listed as 'Waitlist only'?

Basically I am wondering if I should purchase an Economy Plus seat for the return flight, or request the upgrade right away. I don't have elite status.

Also, if I pay for the Economy Plus seat now and simultaneously pay for the upgrade, would the E+ charge be refunded if my upgrade clears? I don't want to pay $150 for Economy Plus only to have it go to waste.

I will be expected to show up in the office the day after I arrive back in the US, and the last time I flew Business it just felt so much better going to work the next day. I'm not too concerned about the outbound since I will be on vacation and will not need to worry about anything.

Thank you!

Last edited by mhy; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:27 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Your question is addressed in the United Mileage Plus forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1256126-refund-extra-legroom-seat-e-merged-2.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mhy
Now my question is - how good of a chance, realistically, do I have to successfully get a mileage upgrade (30,000 miles, which I already have, + $500 copay) to BusinessFirst on the way back if the availability is currently listed as 'Waitlist only'?
Impossible to predict.

Also, if I pay for the Economy Plus seat now and simultaneously pay for the upgrade, would the E+ charge be refunded if my upgrade clears? I don't want to pay $150 for Economy Plus only to have it go to waste.
If you get upgraded, the E+ purchase will be refunded.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Hey all,

First time playing the GPU game and have been monitoring religiously for R space to open up to no avail yet. I'd love some guesstimation as to my chances of clearing before 24 hour window or even at gate.

Flight is UA896 HKG-ORD on Monday November 3rd. Understand it's typically an elite-heavy route, so hoping the Monday flight coupled with sponsor's status will help!

Sponsor is a 1K, I'm on a W fare with the current buckets looking as follows:

F2, FN2, A1, ON0, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z7, ZN7, P6, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9

Some P inventory which I've come to understand is possibly a good indicator?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by domzals1
Flight is UA896 HKG-ORD on Monday November 3rd. Understand it's typically an elite-heavy route, so hoping the Monday flight coupled with sponsor's status will help!
Booked 30/40. You still have a chance. Could be a bunch of GS/1K on the waitlist ahead of you though. W is lowest eligible fare.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K (.25MM) IHG Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Booked 30/40. You still have a chance. Could be a bunch of GS/1K on the waitlist ahead of you though. W is lowest eligible fare.
Happy to report back that sometime this afternoon Shanghai time, they must have released one R seat as my upgrade is now confirmed (traveling companion sponsored by same 1K is still wait-listed on a W ticket, interesting that UA will literally do this one seat at a time.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 4:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by mhy
[M]y question is - how good of a chance, realistically, do I have to successfully get a mileage upgrade (30,000 miles, which I already have, + $500 copay) to BusinessFirst on the way back if the availability is currently listed as 'Waitlist only'?
Impossible to predict.
True; the following thread may give some additional information on upgrade chances:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...s-upgrade.html
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:40 pm

How do you tell how many seats are booked on the flight ? Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 1k650
How do you tell how many seats are booked on the flight ? Thanks.
Just count the seats on the seat map. Although it is often not completely accurate.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Just count the seats on the seat map. Although it is often not completely accurate.
I don't think that is very accurate at all - doubt that is what Kaycee did ?
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k650
I know that SFO-FRA was always hit or miss but am I correct in still assuming that a flight that is Z9 ZN9 P9 (eg., UA 903 on 11/20) is probably a "safe" bet for a lowly 1k ? And that Z9 ZN9 P0 (eg. UA 990 SFO-CDG on 11/20 or 11/22 or ORD-AMS with similar loads) is a bit more difficult but not out of reasonable probability? It is around thanksgiving and I doubt there will be many last minute corporate business purchases ?
UA 903 has currently 14 / 52 seats open; UA 990 has 13 / 30 seats open.
My first choice would be CDG, then FRA or ORD.
Agree with you on lighter US outbound business demand, but there might still be EU business travellers heading back to Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.