Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United fair charges within 24hr

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

United fair charges within 24hr

United has the worst service ever. Booked a flight on 1st and had to make a change within 24hrs. When I rebook ed they put me eco called and asked what's going on they wanted an extra $460. Seriously I could have booked eco at $240. These people are just rediculous and try to find any way to nickel and dime you. I used to fly United alot but now I remember why I stopped using them.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by jrbasir
United has the worst service ever. Booked a flight on 1st and had to make a change within 24hrs. When I rebook ed they put me eco called and asked what's going on they wanted an extra $460. Seriously I could have booked eco at $240. These people are just rediculous and try to find any way to nickel and dime you. I used to fly United alot but now I remember why I stopped using them.
If it is within 24 hours, why didn't you just cancel and rebook? If you are asking why fares fluctuate, then I have to say this is not uncommon at all.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
That's just not fare.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:29 pm

My experience with 24 hour changes is that UA agents have been exceptionally helpful (sometimes even bending the 24 hour rule for a date change, for example) if you still have intention to fly.

But a fare still has to be available....
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
These "rules of thumb" apply to United, as well as American and Delta

1) You can cancel a ticket within 24 hours for no charge.
2) If you change a ticket, you're subject to the change fee you agreed to when you bought the ticket.
3) Fares change - the fare you bought one minute might not be available the next.

This isn't "nickel and diming". When you bought the ticket, UA sold it to you for the available fare at that time and with the conditions attached that you agreed to. Most people decide they don't need to read the conditions, but that's hardly United's fault. If you decide to change the ticket, the cabin/flight you originally bought might not be available for the same price. Ticket prices and availability vary with month/day/time/routing. For example, there are more cheap fares to Hawaii on a Wednesday than a Saturday, because more tourists like starting vacations on a Saturday. As a flight fills up, fares can get more expensive. This is basic airline pricing.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by Bonehead
That's just not fare.
I saw what you did there
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
2) If you change a ticket, you're subject to the change fee you agreed to when you bought the ticket.
Under the DOT rules, no change fee should be charged within 24 hours. (Although obviously there can be a fare difference)
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I would be more upset about unfair charges.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by Bonehead
That's just not fare.
"Fair is fare"

-Billie Jean Davy
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:41 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Could we please ask the OP to clean up his original post to be more coherent and informative? This thread is pointless without proper information. He could be talking about any number of things, and this is all noise until it's clarified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.