Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Paid Business / First - Involuntary Downgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Paid Business / First - Involuntary Downgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I was downgraded from C to Y at the gate on SFO-ICN in December. They told me I was the only upgrader. So UA's policy was definitely to downgrade upgraders first. Is CO's policy to downgrade in order of check-in time? That's as dumb as prioritizing meal choice by row number -- oh wait, CO does that too.

OTOH, maybe this is how I kept my upgrade on UA901 last week when the same flight had been cancelled the day before. I'm sure there were many more displaced paid C pax than there were upgraders.
It's bad form here to suggest that a United policy, properly implemented, would at times benefit you and others not, depending upon your situation. Stay on-topic and discuss only those times policies worked against you.

No different from cycling. Always discuss your fierce battles into headwinds. Tailwinds? You just felt especially strong that day. Tailwinds don't exist.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by KPhill
There were at least two supervisors involved fwiw. As I mentioned I was not willing to raise a stink to inflict misery on someone else because on some other flight it would be me in their situation - bad karma, right?
Had you kicked an old lady traveling for a heart transplant, maybe, karma....but the laws of the Universe also says that "The Universe helps those who help themselves". You got the short end from UA and that isn't how it should be, at 6'4", I would have not been happy - and I'm generally a happy gent.

I would have either had them put me on another airline, downgraded one who got upgraded at the gate, or put me on the next flight and upgrade me to F.

These stories of downgrades scare me, I have never heard this before, for the exception of LH.

UG

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IMhO.... (if those involved wants to do this):

chinatraderjmr, could you PM KPhill the SMI/J address you used for your "cancelled ticket" issues?

E-mail SMI/J your TAM receipt for next week, along with your original UA receipt, and the a brief description of the downgrade. BAsicaly, to show SMI/J the real $$$ he is losing. @:-)
^^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 1, 2012 at 9:17 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IMhO.... (if those involved wants to do this):

chinatraderjmr, could you PM KPhill the SMI/J address you used for your "cancelled ticket" issues?

E-mail SMI/J your TAM receipt for next week, along with your original UA receipt, and the a brief description of the downgrade. BAsicaly, to show SMI/J the real $$$ he is losing. @:-)
I like this idea. Can't hurt, so why not?
Ha Ha...you should email to CFO and see if you are over-entitled...

Seriously - Your downgrade is an undisputed fact. I will focus on getting my refund first instead of writing to SMI/J. See what UA offers you first (From C to the lowest Y available) and the amount is not right, then write to SMI/J. You will have a stronger case then.

But it is interesting that UA downgrade a full fare instead of upgrade - did you check in late?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by craz
I understand the OP deserved alot better treatment, but in no way should anyone who was UPed prior to the time the OP purchased their tkt be Downgraded so that the OP could fly in BF.

I do agree that anyone that on the day of flight was UPed using any item to do so is a candidate for Downgrading.

Otherwise if I was the last person that was UPed and if that was say 3 weeks ago and since CO oversold BF and they downgrade me as the last person who was UPed , CO would basically be saying well we UPed you but its not a gauranteed thing till the door is closed would drive most people away from ever flying CO
+1

UA should have solicited volunteers. If I was an upgrader, I would have taken three Y seats and $1200, plus return of my upgrade instrument (including any cash). Lots of upgraders would. If no takes, then idb the last ticket buyer, with mandated compensation, and a choice of a seat in J or F on the next flight, regardless of airline, or a seat in Y on that flight with three seats (and vdb or idb Y pax if necessary).

Originally Posted by meFIRST
This happens. Though usually not from full fare. Are you sure you were on full fare?. You're booking code must be "C" or "J".
Originally Posted by garykung

But it is interesting that UA downgrade a full fare instead of upgrade - did you check in late?
C is no longer full fare, J is.

Originally Posted by meFIRST
A is discounted First Class. Not full fare. If some sheik/ha showed up to buy the whole F cabin or if an IO + family + maid showed up, you would be bumped.

I've also been downgraded on EK before. Though I think Emirates handled that a little more graciously. UA does this too. Most airlines do (downgrading). In my case: I was offered the option of taking a later flight, but i had to be at my destination that day. So I flew Y.

See notice of "overbooking". You'll find it in your contract of carriage. For hot markets, places where people can and will pay lots of $$$ for a ticket, I recommend showing up at the airport early and boarding early.
As a rule, I do this on : all of the BRICs and certain mid east routes.

I usually like to be last one on the plane, but I know when not do that.

Sometimes when you snooze you lose. I empathize with the OP.
If a walk up, especially one not loyal to the airline can push me out of F or J, then that's the last time I pay cash to UA for premium seats on long hauls.

I agree with you about showing up early and boarding early. I was upgraded (at time of booking before March 2) on a post March 2 flight from BRU, and for the late boarders, SHARES was printing colliding BPs left and right. I was heads down minding my own business, and delivered a firm "no" when asked to change seats (from a middle section aisle on the pmua 767 to a non middle section aisle). Possession might not be nine tenths on airlines but it does seem to count. OLCI early, arrive early, board early, and mind your own business.

Last edited by mre5765; Jun 1, 2012 at 1:33 am
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Wow, the tone of the comments here are somewhat off the wall -- gee, let's just use any excuse to beat up on what UA did.
lol. thanks for the laugh. That was a parody, right?

-David
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
KPhill, were you in fact TOLD you were downgraded, or were you OFFERED $1200 and the 3 seats? If the latter, this whole situation was your choosing (not blaming you, I probably would have done the same thing).
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by njcommodore
KPhill, were you in fact TOLD you were downgraded, or were you OFFERED $1200 and the 3 seats? If the latter, this whole situation was your choosing (not blaming you, I probably would have done the same thing).
I was told. My problem is that they didn't offer the 1200 and three seats to others before forcing me to take it. I wouldn't have.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
"A" is a first class fare just as D is a business class fare. I agree if the cabin was oversold someone needs to be bumped BUT, THAT SOMEONE NEEDS TO COME FROM A LOWER FARE CATAGORY. YOU DON'T BUMP A PAASENGER W A "D" FARE IF THERE WERE OTHERS IN LOWER FARE CAT. Knowing UA, There were plenty of upgrades and even Z or P fares to choose from. YOU DON'T BUMP SOMEONE THAT PAID MORE THEN HALF THE OTHERS. I said I travel usually on an A class tkt. that's a FIRST CLASS FARE! If my flight was oversold the ONLY way I would move I'd if everyone else was holding a tkt with F As the fare base. I have NEVER seen EK over book 1st be even 1 seat. They constantly over book C which in some markets, they should not do as they always end up in trouble, but F, I'VE NEVER SEEN IT. I keep a good look usually of the availability on my flights (how many avail/how many sold, etc and in well over 750 flights from short to long to ultra long haul in the last 12 years on EK I HAVE NEVER seen F oversold. (if you look at any flights availability the MOST F seats you'll see for sale are 8 instead of 9 in other classes since most EK flights only havev8 seats in F
I took an IATA class in Geneva a while back which was taught by an EK manager. He specifically stated it was their policy not to overbook F.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I took an IATA class in Geneva a while back which was taught by an EK manager. He specifically stated it was their policy not to overbook F.

This is CO, not EK.

And this is Business, not First.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:29 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
If only karma was real.
It's as real, or not as real, as you want it to be, or not be. And there is no spoon.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: UA Gold
OP is a better man than I - I would have been livid. But I can confirm that UA had kicked out confirmed upgrades as well. I upgraded on an RPU at ticketing several weeks before ORD-LAX on 2/15. Flight got downgauged and they didn't call for volunteers - just denied my BP at the gate and told me to get in the back or get bent. I asked for compensation and got nothing; asked for a blanket or a meal on the plane and got denied as well.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I like this idea. Can't hurt, so why not?
Already emailed KPhil w the details...keep us posted

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Yep.....As i said I have NEVER seen an EK flight I was on over booked. My GF has been a "stewardess" with them for the past 2 years and she says it never happpens but complains all the time about the overbooking of C from flights originating in Sydney. She works C or F on the 380 and said its a real pain when they are told at briefing they have 3 passengers only to have a full cabin of bumped up C pax. Throws off the catering, etc and there policy is a little different then United. They are supposed to have One of Each main course per passenger so if they all want X, they all GET X (If they tell a F passenger on a long haul they dont have there first choice, it has to be written up and the catering station gets in trouble......WHAT A CONCEPT
(the extra meals then becone crew meals so everyone is happy

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 1, 2012 at 9:18 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by choatie88
OP is a better man than I - I would have been livid. But I can confirm that UA had kicked out confirmed upgrades as well. I upgraded on an RPU at ticketing several weeks before ORD-LAX on 2/15. Flight got downgauged and they didn't call for volunteers - just denied my BP at the gate and told me to get in the back or get bent. I asked for compensation and got nothing; asked for a blanket or a meal on the plane and got denied as well.
A last minute downgauge is an entirely difference matter, since it's hard to say the airline intentionally oversold the flight. This is why it's a good idea on flights subject to downgauging (e.g., 76x) to sit in a seat that exists in all configurations.

You still should have gotten better care than what you got, though.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I think the major issue here is that the OP was not asked if he would like to take this offer, he was told to take it. HUGE difference. I would fight the charge with AMEX, write in to complain to Customer Service and copy Jeff, and just for kicks purchase the ticket for next trip on another airline and include that receipt.

Unless people continue to do this, they will continue to take your money and not deliver what you are buying!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I think the major issue here is that the OP was not asked if he would like to take this offer, he was told to take it. HUGE difference. I would fight the charge with AMEX, write in to complain to Customer Service and copy Jeff, and just for kicks purchase the ticket for next trip on another airline and include that receipt.

Unless people continue to do this, they will continue to take your money and not deliver what you are buying!
+1 (I told the OP IMO he must complain so UA can see they wont get away with this. If he doesnt, it could set a terrible precident)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.