Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver - Paying for E+ before T-24/Upgraded to F - any refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE

Apologies if this has been asked. Searching didn't find anything.

Does anyone know how E+ upgrades are treated if a silver member pays in advance for E+ seats? In other words, if there are available E+ seats at T-24, and the member has already paid for E+ seats, can a refund be requested?

Specifically, I'm flying SFO-SYD in a few weeks. There are currently about 50 E+ seats on the 744, and I'd prefer for my wife and I to sit there. As a silver, I'll get upgraded right before, and I'm hoping that there are some seats at that point (that aren't in the middle). The logical thing is to just secure those now by purchasing them, but I have a hard time spending $300+ on something that I could get for free.

Yes -- the price of convenience and security often requires an investment like this, and I'll probably just do this. My specific question, though, is whether a silver member is entitled to a refund of the E+ fees at T-24 if there are available seats in E+ that precipitate a free upgrade.

Any experience with this? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Enki
Old May 29, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Nope! No refunds!
Old May 29, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Your UA 2P, why would you need to buy E+ seats? Just book them. AFAIK you just can't get exit row seats right?
Old May 29, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Welcome to the new United. As a Silver "elite" member, I'm now patrolling the seat map on a weekly basis and guesstimating when the last E+ aisle seats will be taken, and making a judgment call on whether to give Jeffy $49 or wait until T-24 and fight the kettles for the seat.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75k, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by paule123
Welcome to the new United. As a Silver "elite" member, I'm now patrolling the seat map on a weekly basis and guesstimating when the last E+ aisle seats will be taken, and making a judgment call on whether to give Jeffy $49 or wait until T-24 and fight the kettles for the seat.
That's what kills me. I'm doing the same thing on this 14 hour flight - patrolling the seat map. On the one hand, $150-ish for guaranteed comfort (relative to E- for my 6'5" frame) on such a long flight doesn't seem like a lot. But the idea that I have to pay now or hope that there are some decent seats left at T-24 is frustrating.

One thing I like about some of the other programs I'm in (thinking specifically of Hyatt) is that you can choose your amenity. They are small amenities, but I can make a value judgement as to what is best for me. Sure would be nice to be able to choose between things like a 50% mileage bonus, guaranteed E+ seating, and something else (not sure what). Now I'm dreaming about what they might do, like a lot of us here, but it sure would be better than guessing and, possibly, paying for a wholly unknown benefit.

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Your UA 2P, why would you need to buy E+ seats? Just book them. AFAIK you just can't get exit row seats right?
Nope. Can't do that. Nice solid spread of $135-$169 for each seat. Can't choose this at all as a silver anymore.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 30, 2012 at 12:58 am Reason: merge
Old May 29, 2012, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Silvers (old 2P) can not book E+ at booking anymore. Can only get for free 24 hours before departure, basically at check in. If they want E+ before that they have to pay for it.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
Originally Posted by enki
That's what kills me. I'm doing the same thing on this 14 hour flight - patrolling the seat map. On the one hand, $150-ish for guaranteed comfort (relative to E- for my 6'5" frame) on such a long flight doesn't seem like a lot. But the idea that I have to pay now or hope that there are some decent seats left at T-24 is frustrating.

One thing I like about some of the other programs I'm in (thinking specifically of Hyatt) is that you can choose your amenity. They are small amenities, but I can make a value judgement as to what is best for me. Sure would be nice to be able to choose between things like a 50% mileage bonus, guaranteed E+ seating, and something else (not sure what). Now I'm dreaming about what they might do, like a lot of us here, but it sure would be better than guessing and, possibly, paying for a wholly unknown benefit.

The policy for silver sucks (but I guess is good for higher elites). I am only 5'8", so an asile in E- is better than a middle seat in E+. At 6'5" for a long haul, I don't you have a choice but to say uncle and pay, esp. for long haul.

In 2013 I ought to make Gold, so I'll be on the other side of the fence, and hopefully will be able to secure E+ aisle. I don't care if I never get upgraded to C or F (but won't refuse it), aisle seat in E+ keeps me plenty happy.

Nope. Can't do that. Nice solid spread of $135-$169 for each seat. Can't choose this at all as a silver anymore.
At 6'5", I think you gotta say uncle. I am 5'8", so an aisle in E- is enough. Policy sucks for silver, but I guess good for higher elites. I hope to hit Gold in 2013. With the realignment of benefits, they seem to be targeting the GM on the cusp of sliver, and silvers at the cusp of gold. As far as Plat, 1K, and GS (and MM), they seem to be taking them for granted.

Last edited by dhelman; May 30, 2012 at 8:21 am
Old May 30, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
I can confirm that there is no refund... I tried what you describe a couple of different ways and it never worked. Now I just go ahead and pay out of my own pocket for E+ on nearly every flight (company won't reimburse).

Hate it, but I'm 6'4 270 lbs and I just can't go back to sitting in a regular seat.

I think I'll get to Gold by the end of September... Maybe next year I'll get to keep a little money in my pocket.

I'm also thinking that if I ever did get upgraded (ha ha ha ha) I'll also lose the E+ money, too, but haven't had a chance to prove that.

One thing I haven't tried is to release the E+ seat before checking in (which does get you a refund), THEN checking in a day later and try and get it back for free. Seems kind of like Russian Roulette, but it might work. That's all I can think of.

FWIW, I think E+ is the one good thing that UA brought to CO.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
I'm in the same boat. On the 3/31 DEN-NRT inaugural. Sitting in E- right now. Worried E+ is going to fill up because of the high number of elites on this flight. At 6'4", I need E+ for this flight, but don't want to shell out $105-$139 EACH WAY. I just hope a non-middle E+ seat is open come -24hrs for this measley Silver Premier flyer...
Old May 30, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: WN CP & A-list, Marriott Silver
Ahh yes, my single biggest irritation with the "new" United. I have yet to sit in E- since I achieved status with UA but that day is coming, I'm sure. So much for my loyalty over the past years...
Old May 30, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by V1-Vr-V2
Ahh yes, my single biggest irritation with the "new" United. I have yet to sit in E- since I achieved status with UA but that day is coming, I'm sure. So much for my loyalty over the past years...
All this doom and gloom in this thread, where the specific thread on this topic (E+ success at OLCI) , which is factually based, is almost 100% (except for rebookings, super late purchases, etc).
Old May 30, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I'm a long-time CO Silver Elite.

I HATE HATE HATE this new policy.

That was a long-time perk of being Silver Elite - you were always offered one of the reserved seats up front (granted, none were E+), but at least I felt like I was someone special given all the business I have given the airline over the last 25 years.

I used to worry about not getting upgraded to F.

Now I either have to shell out the same $ that a "kettle" would also pay (and/or someone who has NEVER flown the airline before) - OR - worry about getting an E+ seat at T-24.

I would even feel a "bit" better if the new airline offered me the seat at a reduced rate.

Also, I wonder what happens if I get my F upgrade now - looks like I wouldnt get my refund either, but I would try like hell to fight them on that one!!!

Logically you could argue you were paying the money for E+, which you didnt receive - and someone else could buy the seat for same $$$. My upgrade to F is supposed to be FREE
Old May 30, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
I have flown about 16 segments this year as a 2P, and i have gotten E+ seating on every flight (if i wasn't upgrade to first, which has happened on about 7 segments). Even when you're booking far in advance and you dont see that many E+ seating, thats because elites have taken it up. But then as those elites are upgraded using UDUs, then E+ seating always opens up closer to departure.

Unless you're flying really elite-heavy routes, imho silvers haven't lost too many perks.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
2P/Silver paid for E+ then upgraded to F, refund?

A related post, but wondering what happens in this case?

A 2P/Silver pays for an E+ seat, not wanting to risk getting stuck in steerage.

They are subsequently upgraded to F

Is a refund possible? Likely?
Old May 30, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I haven't done so since 3/3, but you used to be able to just go to united.com/refund and put in the information there and get a refund for the E+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.