Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recording of UA First Class Customer being ignored by Customer Service in IAH

Old May 25, 2012, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2Y_...layer_embedded

A recording has surfaced on YouTube of a customer holding a First Class ticket who had a problem at the Customer Service Center at IAH, and he records the entire exchange of him speaking to the UA employee for over two minutes, and the employee ignored every word he said.

Another employee came over and berated the first class customer for the video recording.

United has apologized for the incident.

http://www.eturbonews.com/29417/unit...r-service-fias
Old May 25, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
actually it would appear he was a also a travel news blogger. It would only have taken a polite request to stop the videoing and answering the question.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I'm curious to know how the conversation began, before he started recording.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
He did play the DYKWIA card ("I have a first class ticket") more than enough times, but the idea that this woman just sat there playing on her computer for 2 minutes refusing to address his concerns is a little odd.

Then came the red coat, presumably, who screamed at him for video recording.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Is it legal to record such interactions?
Old May 25, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Not sure, but I do agree that he should have put the tape down if they had originally asked him too. But if this woman did completely ignore him, he may not have been told to stop recording
Old May 25, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: United GS 2MM,, Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Platinum
The entire interaction is tainted by the video recording. Frankly I don't trust anyone who has a "blog" page. They have a motivation to drive traffic to their website.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by boxo
From the blog

I then told her that I needed to get our conversation on video. I told her that I was going to take it up with Jeff Smisek (United’s CEO) and asked for her permission for me to record our conversation. She shrugged and said nothing. I started videorecording, then continued my inquiry. “Was the flight I was scheduled to take overbooked?”
That is some skill to sit there moving the mouse around for 2 mins

Last edited by malgudi; May 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm
Old May 25, 2012, 9:00 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Why wouldn't it be legal? It's not hidden.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by malgudi
From the video:

He said he would be recording, the woman apparently just sat there without saying anything.

Weird!
Were I in the role of CSR and someone came up to me and indicated they were about to record our interaction I, too, would simply stand there and wait for my supervisor to show up.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boxo
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
The entire interaction is tainted by the video recording. Frankly I don't trust anyone who has a "blog" page. They have a motivation to drive traffic to their website.
That is the million dollar question. Since he is a travel blogger he very well could have taunted the CS rep on purpose and then planned to video when she did something unprofessional which she did.

Doesn't excuse the reps behavior which just is really odd in the video.

I believe each state has their own law on this. Not sure what the law is in Texas.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Were I in the role of CSR and someone came up to me and indicated they were about to record our interaction I, too, would simply stand there and wait for my supervisor to show up.
+1
Old May 25, 2012, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by malgudi

That is some skill to sit there moving the mouse around for 2 mins
Hilarious.
Old May 25, 2012, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by sbm12
No, if I were the CSR I would have politely asked the pax to stop recoding, inform him that I will get my supervisor.

Originally Posted by eflyte
+1

Originally Posted by Brasila
People really find the CSR's behavior odd when for the last 3 months this is the type of behavior you get when you call the "Premiere Line" especially when a COdbaUA rep answers the phone. I would say Jeff $misek should play this video next month on all COdbaUA's flight as a change we are going to like...you do not exist to us....

Message to Mr. Smisek, please do an Undercover Boss.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 25, 2012 at 9:53 pm Reason: merge
Old May 25, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NEWEXP1
No, if I were the CSR I would have politely asked the pax to stop recoding, inform him that I will get my supervisor.
I agree with you. I really sense everyone from the Customer to the Employees are reaching a boiling point. I know I, as a Customer flying 10 or so times a month, sometimes 20 times, don't really feel I'm over entitled. I'm blowing $700 a flight at over a $1 a mile to fly to "po-dunk" and back (no offense to those living in "po-dunk"). I expected a decent service and I don't get anywhere close to it. The taxi ride to the airport is far superior to a trip with United, these days. And I know the Employees aren't feeling any better than I am about things. We end up taking it out on each other and the real cause is from the folks in charge. That's my real grievance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.