Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Recording of UA First Class Customer being ignored by Customer Service in IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recording of UA First Class Customer being ignored by Customer Service in IAH

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by goalie
Wrong!

The proper way to deal with the situation is to acknowledge the customer, explain to/tell them that you will be calling your supervisor over to assist them and then ask if they could step aside until the supervisor arrives so you can assist other customers. That's how it's taught and how it should be (n.b. should be) done and with that, it puts a positive spin on the customer service rep as if done the way you state, you have what was recorded

Yes, not a pretty picture and not painting any apologies nor assigning any blame to either party as there are always 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth , but if the customer service rep had acted as I noted above, this situation could have been completely avoided

Yes but only after what I said above.
The point is you have no idea what was said prior to her being non responsive.
Old May 26, 2012, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wrong!

The proper way to deal with the situation is to acknowledge the customer, explain to/tell them that you will be calling your supervisor over to assist them and then ask if they could step aside until the supervisor arrives so you can assist other customers.
As noted elsewhere in the thread, I'm betting that this part also happened but that it isn't included in the recording shown. That the guy didn't step aside is not something the agent can control.

but if the customer service rep had acted as I noted above, this situation could have been completely avoided
You have no idea what happened prior to the recording starting. And if there is a customer pissed off enough that they decide they're going to video tape their interactions with the CSR to try to catch them in a lie then I have no doubt that they aren't the most rational or well behaved. What makes you think that once informed that a supervisor is on the way the customer is simply going to move over and wait?
Old May 26, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by malgudi
UA didn't ask for nor is listening to your advice ... from the blog:
Sorry malgudi, your reading too much into my post. I'm not giving United any advice. I'm just saying the reality remains there is nothing United did wrong to warrant an apology or compensation. Whether they decide to issue one is a separate issue.

They apologized, the standard form letter language to appease him but might not really take any further action internally since they can see the situation for what it is - how most of us see it on the thread.

I agree with reamworks' sentiment in his post:

" My opinion of UA has been diminished, not because of this "blogger's" video, but because UA pandered to him. "

Originally Posted by 1111
+1

+1

+1... prior to the cut we see, anyway.

I don't really want to know in the literal sense, but I think it's likely she was plenty responsive before he started filming -- and maybe even after he started, up until where he may have edited the clip to start.

We have no idea how long it really took for the supervisor to arrive, and how many times she may have said that on camera before she just couldn't keep it up anymore. I don't think that's a core requirement for the job she does.

"... we have certain groups..."

Unless, maybe... the whole thing is a set-up in the first place, and they're not really trying to make their flight, they're trying to create something for their blog? Thanks reality TV, you've really improved our culture.

In order to credibly expose them when they're truly wrong, we need to keep people from crying Wolf.
+100 on the your final comment!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 26, 2012 at 7:34 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old May 26, 2012, 5:32 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
I don't know what all the comments are for... seems like usual customer service at IAH... actually a little better than normal!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm Reason: mudslinging neither welcomed nor allowed
Old May 26, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Oh so if we consider the incident, the "evidence" and think for ourselves objectively and find that the customer was in the wrong that makes us agents of the airline. That got me laughing.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 26, 2012 at 7:17 pm
Old May 26, 2012, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by KarlJ
Respectfully, that may not be the case... you have to consider the "chess" mindset of the customer who has pre-determined any possible counter-moves. The guy was actively instigating an escalation (IMO, of course)
Agreed but as I also posted, "there are always 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth".

Originally Posted by apodo77
The point is you have no idea what was said prior to her being non responsive.
Agreed-none of us do (or at least none of us that we know of ) and with that, see my comment above

Originally Posted by sbm12
As noted elsewhere in the thread, I'm betting that this part also happened but that it isn't included in the recording shown. That the guy didn't step aside is not something the agent can control.

You have no idea what happened prior to the recording starting. And if there is a customer pissed off enough that they decide they're going to video tape their interactions with the CSR to try to catch them in a lie then I have no doubt that they aren't the most rational or well behaved. What makes you think that once informed that a supervisor is on the way the customer is simply going to move over and wait?
I do agree that the video as shown (n.b. as shown) imho appears to be incomplete as there is obviously more to this and none of us (that we know of ) are privy to any "what happened before" information and as I posted, "there are always 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth"

Now as to the second part of your post..... have you worked in a service industry and if yes, at what level and for how long? As I posted, "The proper way to deal with the situation is to acknowledge the customer, explain to/tell them that you will be calling your supervisor over to assist them and then ask if they could step aside until the supervisor arrives so you can assist other customers." Now if the customer doesn't step aside, there are other methods available to have the customer step aside but sadly, those methods can/could lead to a situation which can be just as bad if not worse than what appears in the video as shown. But going back to asking the customer to step aside, I'll put my 30+ years in banking customer service and operations plus the hundreds (n.b. hundreds) of training seminars I've done on how to give proper customer service and the methods I've taught up against any irate customer and I will guarantee (n.b. guarantee) that the customer will step aside on their own 99% of the time as the first thing that a customer wants (actually needs but I digress) is to be acknowledged and then take the situation forward from that point.
Old May 26, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by G702TT
Oh so if we consider the incident, the "evidence" and think for ourselves objectively and find that the customer was in the wrong that makes us agents of the airline. That got me laughing.
WHOA! I never said that... please re-read.

The point: seemed like typical (if not better) IAH service standards. I ahve experienced far worse. The guy may or may not have had a legit complaint, we don't have all the facts.
Old May 26, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
As far as she's concerned, oh boy. I have dealt w a number of PMCO "CS" agents in both EWR and IAH and I recognize her scowl. It's a common characteristic among these Sr IAH/EWR CO CS agents and it's total BS
Hey, come to Richmond VA. We have a PMUA CS agent that was cut from the same mold. And she is still around.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I will guarantee (n.b. guarantee) that the customer will step aside on their own 99% of the time as the first thing that a customer wants (actually needs but I digress) is to be acknowledged and then take the situation forward from that point.
Thank goodness that you know this and can determine what the customer would have done knowing virtually none of the rest of the story.

At least you acknowledge that there was clearly more to the story. Makes me wonder how it is possible to admit that but still claim that you know how everything must've played out based on the guy standing there recording the interaction.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k
While we don't really know what happened prior to the video, if you look at customer's account of the incident here, he does give his version of what led up to the video:

"... I then proceeded to the closest Customer Service Desk to inquire why I was not put on the flight.

“I don’t believe you” were the exact words uttered by the agent within the first two minutes of our conversation. I said I was well within the 15-minute rule and I had a confirmed seat. The words “I don’t believe you” was again uttered. She must have said it at least five times prompting me to ask her, “This is how you treat your Premier Members with a first-class seat ticket? “ It was absurd and made no sense. She then said, “What do you want me to do? Issue you a refund?” I responded, “Yes!” She took my ticket and then gave me the bad news: “Your ticket is non-refundable.” What? Why did she even asked me if I wanted a refund if it was never an option on the first place? Then I asked her to look into the system to check if the flight was overbooked. She glanced at her computer and then she couldn’t give me an answer. I then told her that I needed to get our conversation on video. I told her that I was going to take it up with Jeff Smisek (United’s CEO) and asked for her permission for me to record our conversation. She shrugged and said nothing. I started videorecording, then continued my inquiry. “Was the flight I was scheduled to take overbooked?” You can watch the rest of the “conversation” in the recorded video below:"

I have to admit that as much of a d-bag he seems in the video, if a CSR basically told me that she thought I was lying several times, I'd get a little ticked off as well and would probably want a recording of the conversation. Whoever was at fault, the CSR was probably wise to shut up once he started recording.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flymonthly
I have to admit that as much of a d-bag he seems in the video, if a CSR basically told me that she thought I was lying several times, I'd get a little ticked off as well and would probably want a recording of the conversation. Whoever was at fault, the CSR was probably wise to shut up once he started recording.
What if you/the customer was lying?
Old May 26, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I don't know why, can't put my finger on it......BUT I DON'T TRUST / BELIEVE this customer at all!!! Maybe it's because he comes ACCROSS as a slimy little twerp, maybe his voice just grades on me, maybe it's that I have not seen the WHOLE/UNEDITED video. I JUST DONY BUY IT!!!
Old May 26, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by sxf24
What if you/the customer was lying?
Seeing as I wouldn't lie, it's a moot point. I don't know about the actual customer, but it wouldn't be very smart of a CSR to accuse him of lying even if he was. She should just apologize for the inconvenience and lay out his options (like sending an email complaint to UA ).
Old May 26, 2012, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by sbm12
I will guarantee (n.b. guarantee) that the customer will step aside on their own 99% of the time as the first thing that a customer wants (actually needs but I digress) is to be acknowledged and then take the situation forward from that point.
Thank goodness that you know this and can determine what the customer would have done knowing virtually none of the rest of the story.

At least you acknowledge that there was clearly more to the story. Makes me wonder how it is possible to admit that but still claim that you know how everything must've played out based on the guy standing there recording the interaction.
Now this part of my post may get deleted, but do you know how to read-or at least read my posts? Sheesh

Where in the name of God's green earth did I ever say I know how everything must have played out? I have also said in more ways than one post that there is more to this story as there is in every story <hint: look at my earlier posts for "there are 3 sides..".>

Now going back to what I did say...

There are in fact other ways to have a customer step out of a line and wait for a supervisor but like I said, they can produce just as ugly a p/r situation as what was portrayed in the part of the video we've all seen and if you want me to spell it out for you, any business establishment has the right to tell a customer to leave (or to step out of the line) or they will call the police if they feel the customer is being disruptive but like I said, that usually ends up ugly.

Now going back to "basic traing" , if the CSR did as I described, then the pax is flat out wrong for continuing to escalate the situation but if the CSR did not do as I described, then imho, she is in the wrong.

But who's right and who's wrong in this situation? The customer? The CSR? Both? None of us can answer that and on that point, I think all of us posting can agree.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flymonthly
Seeing as I wouldn't lie, it's a moot point. I don't know about the actual customer, but it wouldn't be very smart of a CSR to accuse him of lying even if he was. She should just apologize for the inconvenience and lay out his options (like sending an email complaint to UA ).
So it is okay to accuse the employee of lying, but not the customer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.