Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

What did you spend (revenue) on another airline that UA would have normally received?

Old May 24, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Plat
For a trip NYC-Europe in June...

~$3700 to Singapore Airlines (r/t JFK-FRA, J class)
~$600 to Lufthansa (intra-Europe, Y class)

In the past I've always done EWR-Europe on UA on paid Z/C/D/J fares if I could help it. not anymore
Old May 24, 2012, 11:25 am

Talking moving to other airlines

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Send your receipts to UA. Posts like this show no practical purpose. You could all be mal-adjusted 400 lb high schoolers creatively writing in your parents basement.

NO lurker would take anything posted here seriously because there is no way to verify it.

I could post I took $18000 from an F class ticket to SYD and gave it to QF. I didn't. I could post it.

Nonsense.
There is a purpose, and its not for UA's benefit... For those that dislike what UA has become and voted with their dollars, there is satisfaction in sharing that with others, so the purpose is to satisfy our base instincts. Besides, with the current management crew, they wouldn't give a rats *ss even if you did mail them ticket receipts.

In my case my wife and I were both Silver, moved elsewhere once E+ got yanked prior to T-24 - yanked last fall, as was at the time justified within FT, because Smisek was motivated to protect E+ seating for his very best 1k/GS elite customers!

Ok, to satisfy my base instinct, trips that were always on UA previously since Fall 2011 purchased elsewhere:

4 round trip F tickets on HA to Hawaii - $7 total
4 tickets AZ to FL, 5 segments in purchased F, 3 in Coach on US - ~3k
3 tickets AZ to SFO - US $900
2 tickets AZ to GA - US $900

So approaching $12k in six months, but as a former 2P, who's counting?
Old May 24, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: GS MM United, Hilton Diamond, ICH Gold, Mariott Silver, TWA Plat MM (just for old times sake)
Angry $24k from me

Three IAD-PER business at $8k each to AA, I'm a multi-million mike 1K ex-global who was downgraded in the consolidation. Talked a friend (still global) into moving to AA for 50 business class tickets from HOU to BAH...(about $400K). Flying my last UA flight in a week, and glad to be gone!!!
Old May 24, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
1K for 11 years
2.2 MM
25 Years MP

Booked PHL-NRT on good old AA the one who appreciates "elites" (unlike Jeff), upgrades cleared quickly to F

One trip: $5,095.00 (cheaper then UA)

Starting to look at my 2013 travel using the SWU's that are good until February 28, 2013 (please note Jeff).
Old May 24, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
AirCanada Z Class

Four tickets DEN to BCN on Air Canada close to $8,000.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Not much this week. Just $400 IND-SNA but next month it will be about $5k to europe...as soon as I finalize my dates.

My upgrades have all cleared at the 100 hour mark so far and I have wifi on my flights! Thanks AA.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by hobo13
On the other hand, I booked an ex-RGN RT in paid C for $1000 all-in and deliberately routed all four BKK-NRT-SFO-NRT-BKK segments onto UA metal!

Y'all can take your business elsewhere..... I prefer to fill UA premium seats with economy fares! bwahahaha!

There's more than one way to skin a cat!
Thats a good approach too, but....

They do have the ability to manipulate the system, per Rainey, and "clamp" down even further if the strategy doesn't drive the results they are looking for.

The only way I think we have any leverage is, if they lose the revenue AND the bodies, meaning lost revenue and empty seats needing to be filled. Otherwise, they might think no harm no foul, we have the right load factor, but just need to tinker with the pricing matrix a little more.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
3 transcons on LH

Have been flying 3 sets of transcons this month on LH worth $3,675 rather than UA so I can use up my SWUs. 4 of 5 cleared so far. Does LH charge UA for accepting them? That would be rich.

Got the AA EXP status match to go with my AAdvantage VISA, then shredded my MP VISA and OnePass MC.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by megalab
Have been flying 3 sets of transcons this month on LH worth $3,675 rather than UA so I can use up my SWUs. 4 of 5 cleared so far. Does LH charge UA for accepting them? That would be rich.

Got the AA EXP status match to go with my AAdvantage VISA, then shredded my MP VISA and OnePass MC.
You mean intercontinental? Between US and Europe I assume?
Old May 24, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Nexus, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Trips

Next two weeks flying all on delta.

$750
$645
$565

Last edited by Labflyer; May 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm Reason: Too detailed
Old May 24, 2012, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Since April have diverted about $1000 to AirTran, $1000 to Delta, $750 to US and $500 to Alaska. Spent $225 on a one-way AA flight, took a bump and got a $250 voucher, so actually made money there rather than spent it.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA-1P
I've switched back to Virgin Atlantic and just last week I bought an upper class return for SFO-LHR.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Sockgap
I've switched back to Virgin Atlantic and just last week I bought an upper class return for SFO-LHR.
God did the sale tempt me. In the end I'm doing AA/BA next week, but I really did take a long, hard look at the VS fares.

Good trial run for a quick biz trip to London, SFO-LHR through JFK, coming back through DFW on BA's 747 flight. Will easily have 30k points by end of aug, so will bank AA SWUs, and can make UA 1K with a late November trip if AA is not totally satisfactory. Trying to keep an exploratory mindset to the whole thing, but shifting a quarter's worth of spend to AA with two INTL trips and a couple of short internal ones. Total likely to be in the 5 to 6 K spend overall to AA.
Old May 24, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA
Sticking with *A so i just spent 8k on NH to TPE with no UA metal.
Old May 24, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Since Aug 2010, Hyatt Platinum
Love this thread! Absolutely hope everyone votes with their wallets and posts how much UA is losing over their terrible treatment of customers.

Diverting my RT travel plans to Singapore Airlines SFO>LAX>NRT in J along with SFO>ZRH in J on SWISS for my upcoming leisure trips. Don't care what the prices are - won't spend it on UA metal. Easily $10k for these tickets..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.