Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$ + Miles upgrade within 24 hrs

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

$ + Miles upgrade within 24 hrs

Is it possible for one to upgrade using $ + miles within 24 hrs of departure? or does this upgrade opportunity end at T-24 hrs?

Also, when one has an applied GPU that is waitlisted, there are many stories of that waitlist never transferring into the standby upgrade list at T-24 hrs. What are the possible ways to avoid having this happen?

The problem I have is I am flying out of BOM-EWR and it used to be a continental route in the past, and I am just afraid that applying a GPU will result in a waitlist and at T-24 hrs, I am going to be completely dropped out of the system.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If R>0 space exists, miles or GPU can be used in the last 24 hours. You will need to call, can not be done at the airport.
If R=0, then new use of miles or GPU can not be waitlisted or added to the upgrade standby list.

While being dropped off the standby upgrade list is a problem, I beleive it is not the common outcome. Just check to make sure you are on the standby upgrade list after checking in.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Aeroten
Is it possible for one to upgrade using $ + miles within 24 hrs of departure? or does this upgrade opportunity end at T-24 hrs?
At this point, it is not possible to request an upgrade within 24 hours. see WineCountryUA's post.

Originally Posted by Aeroten
Also, when one has an applied GPU that is waitlisted, there are many stories of that waitlist never transferring into the standby upgrade list at T-24 hrs. What are the possible ways to avoid having this happen?
I have had this happen to me. I just watch R space and call in if there is anything available within 24 hours. I have had luck with agents confirming the space.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by USFdonWill
At this point, it is not possible to request an upgrade within 24 hours. ....
no quite correct -- if space existing it is possible. Just not possible to waitlist.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
no quite correct -- if space existing it is possible. Just not possible to waitlist.
I stand corrected. Thanks WineCountryUA!!!
Old May 21, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
How well does the airport upgrade standby list work for international flight?

I've never been upgraded within 24h after a GPU or miles+co-pay have expired.

They say this new list should start to be processed 2h before departure, but with all the work GAs are doing at that time, I don't feel this is a high priority for them. I'd be interesting in hearing about others' experiences with this international UG stdby list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.