Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer Talk is of little value now

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2012, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Angry Flyer Talk is of little value now

Flyer talk in the past was a helpful tool to make travel choices and get news.
Now simply a gripe session with people that have little to offer and a sense of being experts on every thing even when they have little info an inflated examples of problems.

Having flown 187,000 miles on 82 segments on United reading this forum has little reality to my daily experience. It is too bad that this forum that i really liked for several years has been ruined. Will now use the other bogs that actually provide info that can be used a will provide info for them.

a special form has been ruined
Old May 21, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Your gripe has been noted.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trk1
Flyer talk in the past was a helpful tool to make travel choices and get news.
Now simply a gripe session with people that have little to offer and a sense of being experts on every thing even when they have little info an inflated examples of problems.

Having flown 187,000 miles on 82 segments on United reading this forum has little reality to my daily experience. It is too bad that this forum that i really liked for several years has been ruined. Will now use the other bogs that actually provide info that can be used a will provide info for them.

I don't tend to agree. The mods are doing their best quashing some threads that go OT, but they - well, they should do more for certain posters.

It's still a good forum. No better one out there for nuances of the program.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trk1
A special airline has been ruined, thus the general tone of this board post-3/3
Old May 21, 2012, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

I don't disagree with the forum being negative, but now folks link every single thread to $misek, ToDs, even when totally off-topic.

A simple request for flight awards help, or "is it worth $$ to get from PP to 1K" gets filled with "$20 ToDs" and Jeff's salary.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
I think it takes a pretty strong voice to say that FT has been ruined. I have been reading the forums for over a year but only recently made an active profile. While there are plenty of gripe sessions to be had, there are also hundreds of threads that contain very useful information, as well as enlightening stories. My mileage and rewards accounts have never looked better after becoming an avid follower of the blogs.

You're absolutely entitled to have your opinion about FT, but I think its stretching the boundaries to say that it has been "ruined".
Old May 21, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Or is it maybe that the MP FlyerTalk forum now mirrors the shambles of the airline today?
That's what I see.....

It's mostly quiet and composed on the AA front.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by TexasTea
While there are plenty of gripe sessions to be had, there are also hundreds of threads that contain very useful information, as well as enlightening stories.
How many of those are new threads in the UA forum, though? Or even overall new threads?

Seriously. I've been here for 9 years, though mostly as a lurker, and I've never seen it this bad. (I did avoid the DL/NW merger though, but did read some of the US/HP one as I was a US flyer at the time.)

There's a lot of good history here, but I hate that the operatic whining has turned me off the board.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Colin Powell once wisely said, you should be worried when people stop complaining. It's not because there are no problems. It's because they no longer think you're capable of solving them.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EVP, United 1K and 2MM, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Delta
Don't like it when threads descend into CO vs UA or poster vs poster rants but i have found FT to be very valuable still.

If I were still waiting for UA to clarify expectations I would be that - still waiting. We have gotten far more clarity in individual flyers conversations with senior UA personnel than in any official pronouncements.

It has enabled me to plan my travel accordingly, gotten me 8 SWU on AA, and enlightened me on numerous great tix deals.

Quite sincerely - good luck to you in finding more useful travel forums.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Exact same thing happened to the DL board after their merger. If you think TODs are a big deal, check out the upgrade shenanigans threads that pop up daily over at DL.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Yfirst gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Plat.
i disagree, Yes there are a lot of complaints and upset people, here on the UA board. BUT if you have a question ask away. Many of the folks that are very vocal with the complaining on another thread, are also the first to jump in to help you with a problem and offering solutions.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
I don't disagree with the forum being negative, but now folks link every single thread to $misek, ToDs, even when totally off-topic.

A simple request for flight awards help, or "is it worth $$ to get from PP to 1K" gets filled with "$20 ToDs" and Jeff's salary.
I highly disagree - there's no shortage of daily posts asking for help with award routings, best seats in a cabain, upgrade tips, etc. I enjoy contributing to those and still do learn something from time to time.

However, it's tough to get around the over-arching issues post-3/3, and every week UA amazingly seems to pour more gasoline on the fire in some way, with no actual resolution in sight.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by mlasser
Colin Powell once wisely said, you should be worried when people stop complaining. It's not because there are no problems. It's because they no longer think you're capable of solving them.
Can I borrow this line and bring it over to the Marriott board?
Old May 21, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I was 1K on pmUA for 1 years (platinum prior to that) and didn't think it was special at all.
Prior to that I was platinum on pmCO for 3 years and didn't think it was special at all.

Currently I have been Gold 75 for AS the last 2 years (and 2 years prior to that was gold when that was the top tier) and don't think it is all that special.

My point is there are no special airlines I can find domestically. And the ones who seem to have the most generous elite benefits were losing money, in bankruptcy or barely making a profit. Coincidence?

With that said I rarely fly UA anymore (had a pleasant flight with a bad meal on 5/4 in F from IAH-PDX) but can't take my eyes off this forum. It is a fascinating and sometimes fun read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.