Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

if 777 has no 20H/20J, does that mean 21H/J will have extra legroom?

Old May 18, 2012, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

If the UA 777(intra-Asia flight) that I'm booked on doesn't have 20H/J,
does that mean there's three rows of crew seats in front of 21H/J?
I have searched this website as well as seatguru. There seems to be
conflicting information because some have said that 17H/J, 18H/J, 19H/J
are not necessarily crew rests, if the 777 has overhead crew rest.

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by CenterWaters

Thanks!
That is correct, it's been a long time since I've been in those seats, but as I recall 21 H and J have more legroom than the non reconfigured C mini-cabin.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

Thanks!
If this is an old configuration world wide 777 (2-5-2 in Y), then yes, the rows in front of 21 H and J are for crew rest. In addition to there being extra leg room, you still get some under seat storage and I have never seen anyone recline them. Every time I end up in Y on one of these aircraft I shoot for these seats.

If the aircraft gets swapped for a new configuration (3-3-3 in Y; no idea what the chances are on your route), then you lose all those bennies.
Old May 18, 2012, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michilander
If this is an old configuration world wide 777 (2-5-2 in Y), then yes, the rows in front of 21 H and J are for crew rest. In addition to there being extra leg room, you still get some under seat storage and I have never seen anyone recline them. Every time I end up in Y on one of these aircraft I shoot for these seats.

If the aircraft gets swapped for a new configuration (3-3-3 in Y; no idea what the chances are on your route), then you lose all those bennies.
cool, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. The flight I'm on shows 2-5-2 with 20H/J missing.
How much legroom does seat 20H have?

I'm currently assigned an exit row seat 30H. I don't like that seat because I don't want to become
the unofficial restroom attendant.

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
cool, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out. The flight I'm on shows 2-5-2 with 20H/J missing.

I'm currently assigned an exit row seat 30H. I don't like that seat because I don't want to become
the unofficial restroom attendant.

Thanks!
The three rows in front of 21H/J are for crew rest. I don't think you can reserve them. IMO, 21H/J in that config are the best E+ seats in the fleet.

I know the non-IPTE E seats have limited entertainment options. But you have pretty much unlimited leg room and you can store something under the crew rest seat in front of you.

Sometimes the crew like to park carts there. But these seats don't get anywhere near the traffic of seats in exit rows, near galleys or toilets.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Michilander
21H and 21J are the absolute best Y seats on any WB airliner anywhere. When the last old configuration 777 goes in for the new seats, it will be a very sad day indeed.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cheltzel
The three rows in front of 21H/J are for crew rest. I don't think you can reserve them. IMO, 21H/J in that config are the best E+ seats in the fleet.

I know the non-IPTE E seats have limited entertainment options. But you have pretty much unlimited leg room and you can store something under the crew rest seat in front of you.

Sometimes the crew like to park carts there. But these seats don't get anywhere near the traffic of seats in exit rows, near galleys or toilets.
There's enough space there to park carts there!!!???

I sure hope the FAs have good parking skill, since I really don't enjoy having my feet crushed.
Old May 18, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
21H and 21J are the absolute best Y seats on any WB airliner anywhere. When the last old configuration 777 goes in for the new seats, it will be a very sad day indeed.
+1
Old May 18, 2012, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

I sure hope the FAs have good parking skill, since I really don't enjoy having my feet crushed.
I have never had anyone park a cart in front of me, but the person in the window seat can easily get past the person in the aisle without them having to get up first. I am 6 foot tall and if I have the seatbelt fastened and want the backpack under the seat in front of me I have to drag it toward me with my foot. There is a bunch of extra room. Now, of course, your tray table is in the arm and the video screen is on a swing arm instead of the seat in front of you, but these are small prices to pay, in my opinion, for the extra comfort afforded by the extra legroom and the lack of someone laying their head back in your lap.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
In a word - yes

I was opposite this paid BKK-NRT the other day and most irritated that I had forgotten this one... There I was stuck in E+.....
Old May 19, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Maybe park is not the right term. They use it to pull out of the way so other crew, pax, etc can pass in the aisle.

I am pretty tall and when I sprawl, there isn't much room for anything else
Old May 20, 2012, 6:35 am
Original Poster

need a little help trying to figure out what's going on...

since yesterday morning, the seat map for the flight has gone from old
configuration with crew rest seats in 17/18/19, 2-5-2 seating, to the
new configuration with 3-3-3. It randomly changed my seat to a middle
seat. I saw this and changed it to an exit aisle.

A few hours later, the seat map has gone back to the 2-5-2 configuration
and again, I changed my seat to 20H.(behind crew rest seats).

I just woke up this morning and the seat map has changed yet again!
Now it's back to the 3-3-3. Now there are are only middle E+ seats left.
In fact, there are no open aisle or window in the E+ ad E-.

I'm really, really confused..... Can anyone venture any guesses on what's
happening? The flight is 3 day away and I just can think of any possible
reason that UA is flip-flopping back and forth. Pick a 777 and go with it!
Old May 20, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The flight I'm on shows 2-5-2 with 20H/J missing.
As you said, 20H is missing. 21H/J have more legroom than any normal exit row.

I've never seen a FA try to park a cart there. It might be a little tight for a cart, but those are still stellar seats. Be warned that the armrest is fixed and your video screens will fold down beneath the seat rather than being mounted permanently in front of you, so you can't watch anything during takeoff and landing. And if the video screen is poorly adjusted, it might easily be knocked down and bash you in the knees.

As for the flip-flopping, I've seen flip-flopping in the day before the flight. This is a business where "irregular operations" rule the day. This much change may be unusual, but it happens.
Old May 20, 2012, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cheltzel

I think it deoends where the rest are offically put. eg my SFO-KIX end of April was an almost complely empty flight in all 3 cabins. When I did OLCI it was showing 1 person already in 19J and the crew took the 2nd cabin in Biz for themselves. So I guess once the restwas offically moved to Biz they released the seats. I had 21H but took 20H after having slept for agood for hours across 5 seats in the 5 center seats

On the way back Biz had some more people so they kept the 1st 2 rows of the 3 crew rests rows = with the curtain pulled no way to grab 20H remained in 21H. At no time was I able to select 20H for KIX-SFO like I was for SFO-KIX

So I think when they reassign the whole crew rest to Biz that it opens up the seats to anyone. If they must maintain even 1 row for crew then its all off limits

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.