J0, seat map shows 7/25 open

Old May 18, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
J0, seat map shows 7/25 open

This was discussed before but I cannot find the referrence.
I'm wait listed for an upgrade on UA 43 IAH-GRU 5/21. Yesterday J showed 6, today, there are 7 seats open but J shows 0. Now I know that it's up to inventory management but this doesn't make sense. I'm positive there are plenty of seats open on this flight, but somehow, even if I was trying to purchase BF seat, it wouldn't let me. What gives?
Thanks!
Old May 18, 2012, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by rebech34
I'm wait listed for an upgrade on UA 43 IAH-GRU 5/21. Yesterday J showed 6, today, there are 7 seats open but J shows 0. Now I know that it's up to inventory management but this doesn't make sense. I'm positive there are plenty of seats open on this flight, but somehow, even if I was trying to purchase BF seat, it wouldn't let me. What gives?
Thanks!
It doesn't matter what's on the seat map... J is now full on this flight. It is possible to be confirmed without having a seat assignment. Either they sold out the remaining seats or they cleared other upgraders. Looks like there are economy seats for sale still so the plane itself isn't full yet, but business is.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Thanks!
Not necessarily. It is sometimes common (especially on SHARES) to not pre assign seats unless requested. I was on a flight a few weeks ago waitlisted for an upgrade and it was F5. I cleared the list and it went down to F1 but when I went to assign myself a seat the map was wide open. They had obviously upgraded 4 people but assigned no one seats
Old May 18, 2012, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM Premier Gold, DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriot Rewards Gold
I understand, but it seams odd that 6 seats where taken within minutes and non of them are marked. As one waiting for an upgrade, the first thing I would do if cleared is to select my seat....so it doesn't look like upgrades have cleared. Also, I am a 1k on a dollar + miles. I would assume I would be at the top of the list (didn't call to verify thought).
I understand what you guys say, but it still seams wired. Is there a possibility that they blocked it with no reason and will release sometime? Am I way off

I'll see what happens... Cross figures...
Old May 18, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I understand, but it seams odd that 6 seats where taken within minutes and non of them are marked. As one waiting for an upgrade, the first thing I would do if cleared is to select my seat....so it doesn't look like upgrades have cleared.
You'd be surprised how many people don't care about what seat they get. You (and I, and many others on FT) are in the minority in that we would go online immediately and check out seats upon getting an upgrade confirmed email. The email doesn't tell you that you don't have a seat..it just said you've been upgraded. For most people they're happy with that and will just deal with their seat when they check in.

Since 3/3 I've been surprised by not getting upgraded myself in situations where I've always been upgraded before as a 1K..it's frustrating for sure. In your situation.. I'd be worried if J went to zero. GS's and 1K's on a higher fare (using miles or SWU's) are ahead of you in line.. maybe there are a lot of them on this flight..who knows?
Old May 18, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
J=0 means no J seats avail

It's all speculation. The fact is that there is no J avail. on OP's desired flight. The seat map and $3 buys a cup of coffee at a well-known coffee chain in the USA.

Could be as simple as one group of 6 people (not uncommon for a business to send a 6-person team) or that fact that there's a cancellation / downgrade about to be announced & the seats will be needed for that.

Doesn't really matter to OP because there's no seat.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I've noticed this issue too for 5/20 SFO-JFK flight 314. Seats were for sale in all cabins yesterday and now the entire flight is supposedly 'sold out'. Yet when I go online to check the flight status for it and view the seat map, F is wide open, except for two seats. Don't know what's going on with this flight.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I understand, but it seams odd that 6 seats where taken within minutes and non of them are marked. As one waiting for an upgrade, the first thing I would do if cleared is to select my seat....so it doesn't look like upgrades have cleared. Also, I am a 1k on a dollar + miles. I would assume I would be at the top of the list (didn't call to verify thought).
I understand what you guys say, but it still seams wired. Is there a possibility that they blocked it with no reason and will release sometime? Am I way off

What is so hard to understand about this concept ...
Seat availability shows the number of seats the airline is willing to sell.
Seat map shows the specific seats which can be assigned.

Assigned seats and number of seats available to sell are 2 completely different things.
It's not odd for 6 seats to be "taken" (I assume you mean "sold") within minutes but not "marked" (I assume you mean "assigned"). Maybe:
  • a meeting coordinator booked 6 seats as a "group". Seat assignments will be handles later.
  • UDU just ran and upgraded 6 people. Those lucky 6 haven't been sent an email yet so don't know they should (or don't care) selecting specific seats
  • Yield Management has noticed the previous fligh is seriously oversold, so has blocked addition sales for this flight as "protect" space for the oversold trip.
  • Many other possibilities

J0 means don't expect a Business Class seat. If you do get changed to J, the seat map shows which seats you may select from. The seat map does not show anything else.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

1. As someone just pointed out, a lot of people don't care / don't think to get an advance seat assignment. Ever look at people at the airport fighting to sit together and say to yourself, why didn't they just reserve seats in the first place

2. The email you get says "you have been upgraded and to get your seat assignment. When you check in
Old May 19, 2012, 8:57 am

Looks like the flight is back to J2..there's hope at least..
Old May 19, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I've noticed this issue too for 5/20 SFO-JFK flight 314. Seats were for sale in all cabins yesterday and now the entire flight is supposedly 'sold out'. Yet when I go online to check the flight status for it and view the seat map, F is wide open, except for two seats. Don't know what's going on with this flight.
Flight shows oversold by 15 with 26 seats held. Who knows.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by Hachiko
Flight shows oversold by 15 with 26 seats held. Who knows.
I wouldn't publicly post load information if I were you. UA does patrol here and I've heard of people being disciplined for disclosing that information as its against policy and is confidential. Gonna get super flamed but im just looking out for ya!
Old May 19, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by UAL4life
I wouldn't publicly post load information if I were you. UA does patrol here and I've heard of people being disciplined for disclosing that information as its against policy and is confidential. Gonna get super flamed but im just looking out for ya!
Really? I've never heard anything about that.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Isn't that kind of information available on the various booking engines?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.