Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Flight Attendants Blackmail Flight 49 BOM->EWR!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Flight Attendants Blackmail Flight 49 BOM->EWR!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 12:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Am I wrong that there is no PMUA presence in India at all?

Which would make OP's post way past borderline.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by violist
Am I wrong that there is no PMUA presence in India at all?

Which would make OP's post way past borderline.
It was either after 9/11 or in the 1990s the last time PMUA had service to India.

There is a call center in India that originated from PMUA.

Originally Posted by Michael El
Dang this would be worse for them than getting fired.
Lol, I don't think working CLE/IAH flights is all that bad, but people like this can't be trusted flying to a distant non-hub that has one flight per day.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
But to call out safety as having anything to do with this is a red herring. Although some of the facts are fuzzy, it seems clear enough that the FA's were not saying they refused to fly to EWR under any circumstances, they simply wanted some "goodies" to waive the provisions of their contract. Some may say that's justified ("a contract is a contract"), some may say that's self-centered and lacking in any compassion, given the consequences they were inflicting on so many others, but certainly it has nothing to do with being safety-conscious.
Corporations act amorally, evaluate contracts and the law at arm's length, and act accordingly to their benefit. As employees (or consumers) dealing with corporations, I see no reason why anyone should do otherwise.

United has not treated its employees (or elites!) with compassion since the merger. If UA expected me to waive contractual benefits I enjoy for no reason other than "compassion", I would have told them to pound sand. I do not fault the FAs in this instance.

(As a counterpoint, if my employer asked me to waive a provision, such as travelling outside business hours, I generally will do so. But my employer treats me well and provides reasonable accommodations and benefits well outside the minimum required by my contract.)
Old May 18, 2012, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by oopsz
...United has not treated its employees (or elites!) with compassion since the merger. If UA expected me to waive contractual benefits I enjoy for no reason other than "compassion", I would have told them to pound sand. I do not fault the FAs in this instance....
Sorry, but I draw the line when hundreds of passengers (hey FAs---the ones who actually provide the revenue that pays your damn salaries, lest they forget) are so inconvenienced...and quite possibly much more than simply inconvenienced. This crap has gotten way out of hand, and more than a few employees have clearly let their own agendas get in the way of their primary mission...taking care of their clients. They need to take this stuff off line. Yes, I'm mad. Mad as hell that the employees of ANY service-oriented company would pull garbage like this.

Last edited by Bonehead; May 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Corporations act amorally, evaluate contracts and the law at arm's length, and act accordingly to their benefit. As employees (or consumers) dealing with corporations, I see no reason why anyone should do otherwise.

United has not treated its employees (or elites!) with compassion since the merger. If UA expected me to waive contractual benefits I enjoy for no reason other than "compassion", I would have told them to pound sand. I do not fault the FAs in this instance.

(As a counterpoint, if my employer asked me to waive a provision, such as travelling outside business hours, I generally will do so. But my employer treats me well and provides reasonable accommodations and benefits well outside the minimum required by my contract.)
Fault the F/A's what? We don't even know what happened. People are taking sides already without even having one fact. Kinda like always vote Democrat or Republican, regardless of who's running.
We already KNOW the OPs story has some pretty big holes in it. I for one don't buy this whole story.

F/a's refusing to work while pilots agreeing???? Right there I know this makes no sense
Old May 18, 2012, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Yes, I'm mad. Mad as hell that the employees of ANY service-oriented company would pull garbage like this.

I'm mad as well. Mad as hell that management of said employees is so arrogant that they could drive employees to this level.

Remember these are presumably legacy CO employees, and CO was supposed to have the better labor relations. It's really telling if they've driven CO employees to this level.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by donnerparty
I'm glad so many people are able and ready to make armchair decisions about the flight attendants without knowing any of their circumstances leading up to that flight.

It's important to remember that they are on board primarily for your safety. Did it cause an inconvenience for passengers, yeah, but they are just front line employees who have to deal with the consequences of management's decision making.

Try treating them like humans, you'd be surprised at how nice they can be.
Kind-a, sort-a, works BOTH ways, imo!
Old May 18, 2012, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Is there not a possibility that they were actually PMUA and trying to make that very point?

I can say with 100% certainty that EWR-BOM-EWR is flown by PMCO crews. While PMUA crews are flying some international routes out of EWR, BOM is not one of them.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
I'm mad as well. Mad as hell that management of said employees is so arrogant that they could drive employees to this level.

Remember these are presumably legacy CO employees, and CO was supposed to have the better labor relations. It's really telling if they've driven CO employees to this level.
It should have been dealt with after they got that flight back to the states. Inflicting that kind of pain on your clients in the name of labor relations is 100% inexcusable, and tends to make me think far less of the FAs as a group. Seems some folks have lost sight of who pays their bills. I hope that some serious peer pressure comes to bear, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
sounds like they may have to work for over 20 hours. I would expect them to voice their concerns at least, but to "blackmail" UA for this is a little bit beyond what they should do.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
This is indicative of greater labor/management relation problems than a single incident. It is also not a new phenomenon.

I was delayed for a bit last year when a crew refused to take off as their mandated meals were not loaded on the plane. (This was a short flight, no customer meals). At least this is what I was able to figure out while sitting in FC and I don't remember all the details. I do recall the crew being "fed up" as this "constantly happens".

I do not fault the FAs in this case. The "compassionate" thing might have been to overlook whatever contract terms were in question for the sake of the passengers, but each person has their own level of flexibility on these issues. In the end, the contract rules all.

Maybe look at it like a VDB offer. I have the right to take my place on the plane. UA can offer incentives for me to give up that right. If they are not willing to make it worth my time, I will not agree.

FAs had rights to maximum duty day time (assuming that is the issue). UA was not willing to offer enough incentive for FAs to give up that right.

Disclaimer: I agree with some posters above. We do not know the details and probably never will. These comments based on my educated guess as to the underlying issues and such.

Further comment: This is not to say I do not empathize with the passengers. I would not want to have been on this flight either. Just trying to put some perspective.

Last edited by goodeats21; May 18, 2012 at 2:07 pm Reason: further comment
Old May 18, 2012, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by koc1723
I don't know if these 'transfers' have happened yet, but if they had then they could be PMUA FA's working under sCO agreement.
Some have; it started at the beginning of the month. I had one on PHX-IAH the other day and she was quite excited to be working on the sCO pay scale.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:08 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Fault the F/A's what? We don't even know what happened. People are taking sides already without even having one fact. Kinda like always vote Democrat or Republican, regardless of who's running.
We already KNOW the OPs story has some pretty big holes in it. I for one don't buy this whole story.

F/a's refusing to work while pilots agreeing???? Right there I know this makes no sense
+1

OP's story smells fishy in a lot of ways and now we're off on the pro-/anti-union rants. Sadly, this level of discourse has become all too common on the UA forum.
Old May 18, 2012, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goodeats21
This is indicative of greater labor/management relation problems than a single incident. It is also not a new phenomenon.

I was delayed for a bit last year when a crew refused to take off as their mandated meals were not loaded on the plane. (This was a short flight, no customer meals). At least this is what I was able to figure out while sitting in FC and I don't remember all the details. I do recall the crew being "fed up" as this "constantly happens".

I do not fault the FAs in this case. The "compassionate" thing might have been to overlook whatever contract terms were in question for the sake of the passengers, but each person has their own level of flexibility on these issues. In the end, the contract rules all.

Maybe look at it like a VDB offer. I have the right to take my place on the plane. UA can offer incentives for me to give up that right. If they are not willing to make it worth my time, I will not agree.

FAs had rights to maximum duty day time (assuming that is the issue). UA was not willing to offer enough incentive for FAs to give up that right.

Disclaimer: I agree with some posters above. We do not know the details and probably never will. These comments based on my educated guess as to the underlying issues and such.
true theres a time and place for everything and this surely wasnt either. If any Employee doesnt like what they are offerred then I say go find work elsewhere. Im not saying Mgmt has a right to treat any employee like a piece of _____, but as long as they arent braking any FAA laws then Blackmailing by either side has to stop

If its true that no FAA regs were gonna be broken and it was only a question of the contracts T&Cs then it was a DUMB and Selfish move by those few FAs (and not all of them) forget about what it will cost CO by succeeding in ruining a full plane load of peoples plans, its very possible alot of folks wont book again with CO = layoffs of FAs and other Employees

I just dont get people these days, but I do feel good for those 5 or whatever # of FAs I guess they have no mortgages or kids schooling to pay off and have so much $$ in the bank they simply dont what to do with it all
Old May 18, 2012, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I was referring to "compassion" for the passengers. To cavalierly say that the very concept of "compassion" for another human being would lead you to tell someone to "pound sand" speaks to the loss of civility among all of us -- regardless of how a third party (UA Management) behaved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.