Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
The only thing is I think LH should allow UA GS flying C or above to use LH FCL as a reciprocal treatment.
Doubtful, UA would get far less $ from LH if they demanded this.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, F9 Summit, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat
This is not UA, but if you are flying UA into Haneda you have no other option than the ANA lounge so thought I would throw in my review seeing as I just got back.

1) Ana Lounge
The lounge is excellent. There is the sake stands with a nice variety, other alcohol/beer, juices, etc and a decent selection of food. The seats by the window are comfortable looking out over the tarmac and the charging ports and available tablets for use are a nice touch.

2) ANA Suite Lounge
Full several course meal served in the dining area, along with a good compliment of food. I really liked the chairs by the window here as well, along with the workstation areas. I will say the layout seems a bit awkward to me, but its obviously meant for more seclusion/quiet and it works well for that. I did not see/find the massage chair as my business partner and I were quite tired and just sort of vegged out at the window.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Skacorica
As to the GFL lounge in ORD, life can be so much better my friend! If you get a chance check out an ANA suite lounge or the Cathay Lounge in HKG. Or even the UA GFL in SFO.
+100. IMO most international lounges are better than the GFL at ORD. Heck I prefer the regular UC at HKG and LHR over the GFL.

It is a nice quiet place to relax but there's a ton of lounges that are much much better. I actually consider that lounge an embarrassment as a first class lounge.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, LH FT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Presidents Club, National Exec Elite,
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I would prefer sipping a nice glass of Jordan cabernet sauvignon at the GFL. Never been in one of the GS lounges, so I can't compare.... the GFL in ORD is far superior to any lounge I have ever visited.

Still no word yet on qualification, but I am feeling pretty negative about it with my measly $44,000 PQD this year.... especially comparing to most others that are well beyond that.
Are you being serious? The GFL lounge at ORD is a dump. 5 chairs, stale sandwiches, and about the size of my office. You are better off going to wicker park sushi and eating real food. Turkish airlines clubs make that supposed GFL look like the Cabrini Green of airline lounges.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
Are you being serious? The GFL lounge at ORD is a dump. 5 chairs, stale sandwiches, and about the size of my office. You are better off going to wicker park sushi and eating real food. Turkish airlines clubs make that supposed GFL look like the Cabrini Green of airline lounges.
Physically I have no argument with you - but the people there make the difference for me - folks like Billy and Lisa that know me on sight and can make even the most difficult situations go away are worth way more than "proper food and furniture" to me.... I've been in the best F lounges in the world - heck, EK picks me up in a limo whenever I fly them on both sides - and although I can't disagree with you that the UA GFL lounges aren't up to world class F standards - I think the ORD GFL people make up for it!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
Wow I have to disagree. They have a made to order menu, pour your own booze, plenty of waitstaff checking on you and it's clean, top that with the fact that there have been like 3 other people in there the few times I have been in there. What else do you need?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Wow I have to disagree. They have a made to order menu, pour your own booze, plenty of waitstaff checking on you and it's clean, top that with the fact that there have been like 3 other people in there the few times I have been in there. What else do you need?
I tend to agree ... post-"remodel" I really enjoy the ORD lounge - good views, decent menu, better wines than SFO (except the Ruinart), and terrific staff. Many rhapsodize about the SFO GFL, but it often disappoints with the buffet food selection and poor customer service ... especially alongside the newly opened Centurion.

[Mods, perhaps move to GFL thread?]
Old Dec 28, 2014, 11:46 pm

And how about at IAD? Horrible.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by ew6050
And how about at IAD? Horrible.
I'll take it over the LH IAD lounge any day.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:01 am

What is it about US carriers and their amenities being so poor? I flew Swiss F from ZRH - DXB the other day and was blown away by the quality of the hardware (table is so large you can really spread out and get some work done), the service, and the food & drink. Plus they don't upgrade into F so the cabin had four people in it. The captain even came out and introduced himself to each person, asked if we had any questions, etc.

I then flew DXB-IAD in F and the contrast was so disappointing on every metric that counts for me. I am not a United-hater at all but they are being left behind on international. Maybe that is the right strategy for them because the only reason I fly United international it get the miles so I maintain status and can take my family on vacations for little $. So kudos to them I guess for figuring out how to get us to pay top dollar for an inferior product.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by ew6050
What is it about US carriers and their amenities being so poor? I flew Swiss F from ZRH - DXB the other day and was blown away by the quality of the hardware (table is so large you can really spread out and get some work done), the service, and the food & drink. Plus they don't upgrade into F so the cabin had four people in it. The captain even came out and introduced himself to each person, asked if we had any questions, etc.
How do you know ? Just because LX doesn't open up F awards to *A carriers anymore, doesn't mean LX doesn't open up to its own members, particular to the LH group that LX associated with. I had certainly flown LX F quite a few times that was 100% full, with quite a few HON members that upgraded from C to F or using miles for F awards !

You were on the new F on LX's 333, try the old F on LX's 343 that fly longer haul, maybe you will have different opinion, seats are worn, TV is small, seats are so old that some of the electronic mechanism failed to work, so either the ottoman doesn't move backward when you recline, or your seat stuck upwards or at an angle for the entire flight.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Dec 29, 2014 at 10:51 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:53 am

SFO UA GFL vs AMEX Centurion Lounge

If you have the option for both, which would be your preference? I think that for my next trip, I will hang in the Centurion Lounge, at least until I get my 5 wine pours, before my UA GF flight. Not a good reflection on the otherwise ok SFO GFL. As nice as the SFO Centurion Lounge is vs. the UA GFL, would not ever, ever, ever go there vs. LH FCL which is not an SFO option.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by #10
If you have the option for both, which would be your preference? I think that for my next trip, I will hang in the Centurion Lounge, at least until I get my 5 wine pours, before my UA GF flight. Not a good reflection on the otherwise ok SFO GFL. As nice as the SFO Centurion Lounge is vs. the UA GFL, would not ever, ever, ever go there vs. LH FCL which is not an SFO option.
The SFO Centurion Lounge is beautiful looking, but it's kind of troubling to me how abysmally packed it gets, especially given how new it is. And I personally feel that GFL food beats Centurion food, which I think gets more credit than it deserves. It's also nice to be able to get a tip-free drink @ the GFL lounge (even with the bar code, I tip the guy to give me a normal sized glass with the code vs the mini tasting glasses there) - though there are definitely some nice wines in there that warrant the 'punch five times' ritual. CL wins hands down on coffee though!

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Physically I have no argument with you - but the people there make the difference for me - folks like Billy and Lisa that know me on sight and can make even the most difficult situations go away are worth way more than "proper food and furniture" to me.... I've been in the best F lounges in the world - heck, EK picks me up in a limo whenever I fly them on both sides - and although I can't disagree with you that the UA GFL lounges aren't up to world class F standards - I think the ORD GFL people make up for it!
I agree entirely with this statement. I route through ORD when possible/feasible just for this fact.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
At over 1,000 posts, time to open up a new thread -- see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.