Wiki Posts
Search

Explorer/Reward Upgrade Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
Although the GA's were not doing the correct thing
I sincearly hope that the actions of the res agent keeps your loyalty to some degree
The new UA doesn't deserve his loyalty, nor mine either. i will certainly take my travelling dollars elsewhere. more upgrades for the rest of you!
Old May 18, 2012, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by boat9781
So yesterday evening I got an incoming call from an 800 number. Turns out it was UA, but not exactly the person I had expect to hear from; it was the excellent reservations agent who had vowed to remain on the phone with me until the GAs added me to the Upgrade List.

He basically told me that what happened at Denver so unacceptable, that he decided to research into the issue further with the help of one of his supervisors. It took them awhile, but they got together an official account of what happened and filed a 'case report' to their line managers.

In their report, they noted the following:
  • The GAs refused to identifies themselves.
  • I was not added to the Upgrade Standby List, against company policy.
  • The GAs refused to talk via telephone to a Reservations Supervisor.

In addition, they also found that:
  • The last seat in F was given to a non-rev "buddy pass"
  • There was an issue with another non-rev being given too high priority.

The reservation agent said that it is likely they actively refused trying to add me to the upgrade list because the GAs knew that doing so would result in the last F seat going as an Elite Upgrade rather than to the "buddy pass" passenger. Interestingly, this is the fact about my case that got the managers to agree to 'look into it further.'

Also, the agent said that ordinarily I would not have been contacted about this by someone in reservations, but he was so enraged that he wanted to give me an update--even if he would be reprimanded for doing so. He also said that I should expect a phone call from an official representative at UA, but that I should definitely keep the ball rolling even if I don't hear back, by contacting UA through other channels to ensure that my case is elevated to people "actually empowered to do something about this."

Supposedly I cannot contact anyone via phone, so today I'm going to write to Customer Relations/Care. Does any one have another contact at UA?

Thanks!
I would write the CEO's office (Jeff S.). Keep the letter concise, with bullets rather than long paragraphs, cite what happened to you and the follow-up information you have, don't ask for anything other than proper training on this issue for GAs and praise to high heaven the reservation agent who called you and helped you. The letter will be forwarded to the proper desk with a "priority" tag on it, I'm sure.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:34 am

I would notify an executive at Chase as well.

They are selling the heck out of this card - It should be extremely disturbing for Chase to learn that their customers are not receiving promised benefits.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
OP, sorry to hear about your ordeal!

...Also, the agent said that ordinarily I would not have been contacted about this by someone in reservations, but he was so enraged that he wanted to give me an update--even if he would be reprimanded for doing so...
Out of curiosity, where was this reservations agent based? I'm sure I'm not the only one who was (pleasantly) surprised that he took the initiative to try to make things right.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: NWA Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond AA ExpPl
Two weeks ago I had the same problem. The 1K desk did not know about the new policy. The had to call a supervisor to get help. Took 30 minutes. My upgrade cleared. Write a letter.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Called UA, Uninformed CS, Zero Resolution.

Hi all,

So I just got off the phone with Customer Relations. I figured it might be easier to talk with someone to get all the info, but I was completely wrong. The agent I spoke with refused to acknowledge what happened as she was also unaware of the Explorer Card, Award Upgrade benefit. I essentially said okay, but then I called back in an attempt to speak to a better-informed CS person, but the same lady answered! She told me not to call back (or write) as the decision was final and that the reservations agent I had spoken with was misinformed.

Shall I still write to UA? I just PM'd UA Insider, though I'm not so sure my issue will be addressed through that route.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:26 pm

Hi all,

So I just got off the phone with Customer Relations. I figured it might be easier to talk with someone to get all the info, but I was completely wrong. The agent I spoke with refused to acknowledge what happened as she was also unaware of the Explorer Card, Award Upgrade benefit. I essentially said okay, but then I called back in an attempt to speak to a better-informed CS person, but the same lady answered! She told me not to call back (or write) as the decision was final and that the reservations agent I had spoken with was misinformed.

Shall I still write to UA? I just PM'd UA Insider, though I'm not so sure my issue will be addressed through that route.
This is insane!

The perk offered is kinda a Chase perk of the card. I would get Chase on the line, explain clearly but breifly what happened and have them confirm the upgrade of award tickets benefit.

Then as if they mind if you conference in United and have Chase explain to the United rep the benefit.

I often do this when I get stuck between two companies - they always blam each other - so I do a 3way call. It always gets sorted out!
Old May 18, 2012, 4:34 pm

The CS personnel--whether Chase or UA--are relatively low level employees or even contractors. They are NOT empowered to resolve an issue like this, one that involves personnel from different units (i.e., GAs and Reservations) or different companies (UA and Chase). The only way to cut through all this is to write UA senior executive management and stop spinning your wheels with CS reps.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TIMOS
The perk offered is kinda a Chase perk of the card. I would get Chase on the line, explain clearly but breifly what happened and have them confirm the upgrade of award tickets benefit.
Good luck with that :-( When I had the award ticket non-upgrade issue, I called Chase, and the customer service agent I got there also didn't know about the benefit. But "[they] know how important upgrades are to [me]", so they gave me 1000 miles.

The benefit is actually no longer listed on Chase's website (Explorer card), it's only listed on United's website.

I have since had an upgraded award ticket, cleared at T-96, which came as a major surprise to me. I know that it's a myth that you need to pay the fees with the card, but I'm happy to oblige, if that increase the chances of me on the upgrade list without having to call/argue...

christian
Old May 18, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Explorer/Reward Upgrade Fiasco

IANAL, but wouldn't these GAs' behavior have constituted breaches of contracts between all three involved parties: The OP, Chase, and UA, with OP having been wronged by the other two parties, and Chase by UA?
Old May 18, 2012, 6:31 pm
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by JetAway
The CS personnel--whether Chase or UA--are relatively low level employees or even contractors. They are NOT empowered to resolve an issue like this, one that involves personnel from different units (i.e., GAs and Reservations) or different companies (UA and Chase). The only way to cut through all this is to write UA senior executive management and stop spinning your wheels with CS reps.
+1
I'm not sure why you don't want to write. You need to write as advised an follow up if you don't hear soon.

I personally think that the GAs should be dismissed. They gave away company property (the F seat) inappropriately. If the GAs are reprimanded for misbehavior, then these shenanigans should stop.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
This benefit has been in place for nearly a year now. It's unbelievable that front line staff still don't get it. I had a very similar experience last fall, and a PMCO elite desk supervisor forced me into F for two segments that should have been at least waitlisted. I'm glad reservations supervisors got involved and want to follow up on the GA behavior. UA execs do read these boards, as well as UA Insider, so I think you will probably get some resolution on this. I hope UA offers you a positive space upgrade for future use.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
This benefit has been in place for nearly a year now. It's unbelievable that front line staff still don't get it. I had a very similar experience last fall, and a PMCO elite desk supervisor forced me into F for two segments that should have been at least waitlisted. I'm glad reservations supervisors got involved and want to follow up on the GA behavior. UA execs do read these boards, as well as UA Insider, so I think you will probably get some resolution on this. I hope UA offers you a positive space upgrade for future use.
As a PMCO flyer, I've spent many hours fighting reservationists, gate agents, etc over this benefit (once 4 hours over the phone teaching the reservation + supervisor of this benefit). I haven't succeeded once in upgrading.

I really feel for you in this situation. I think you still should write it in and maybe send a short e-mail to smisek, but I don't expect the whole entire company to change overnight either.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by edcho
I haven't succeeded once in upgrading.
Not only have I not succeeded, but a friend who I booked for was upgraded. A complete slap in the face. They choose not to fix the main problem, educate the employees and close a loophole. Unreal.
Old May 18, 2012, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Not only have I not succeeded, but a friend who I booked for was upgraded. A complete slap in the face. They choose not to fix the main problem, educate the employees and close a loophole. Unreal.
The loophole was never fixed under CO (and was actually considered an unpublished benefit). This I don't mind as much -- however, the upgrades for award tix should've been fixed under PMCO a long long time ago (been an issue for almost 2 years)-- there's no excuse for this!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nt-merged.html

Then again, in relative to the TONS of other issues, i'd rather have them fix those first.

In the meanwhile, I will continue to avoid UA except for award and previously booked tix.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.