Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying UA ticketed Flight Segment(s) Out of Order? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by HeidiInTheAlps
But here's my question:

How long do you reckon it will take for them to find our bags and put them on the belt?

TIA
Could be anywhere from an hour, to a few days (if they don't process your request in time, and the bags continue on your skipped segment)
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I'm looking for advice with a similar situation.

I'm on a flight returning to the east coast from an international destination with the point of entry into the US being SFO.

There's two people on the reservation. Can I stop my travel in SF and if so, will they cancel the second persons return flights to the east coast?

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you don't mind violating the CoC (throwaway ticketing), you can leave at SFO without calling UA at all. You have to claim your bags at SFO anyway, so you just take them and leave without re-checking them to SNA. It's extremely unlikely that United would say anything about the throwaway ticketing.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
You just have to split the reservation. This will result in a separate PNR for each passenger. Of course, you risk losing benefits for the 2nd passenger if you have status and they don't or vice versa. You can split the PNR online with out even calling ual.

If you don't split you run the risk of the other persons travel being interrupted or canceled.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You just have to split the reservation. This will result in a separate PNR for each passenger. Of course, you risk losing benefits for the 2nd passenger if you have status and they don't or vice versa. You can split the PNR online with out even calling ual.
Won't the reservation automatically split if one passenger no-shows? The other pax will be fine, I'd just skip the last leg and not worry about it.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:41 am

Thanks guys! Would it be stupid for me to stop at customer service at SFO anyway with an excuse of why I'm stopping my travel there, but the 2nd traveler is continuing? Or should I just skip out without saying anything.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baser1000
Thanks guys! Would it be stupid for me to stop at customer service at SFO anyway with an excuse of why I'm stopping my travel there, but the 2nd traveler is continuing? Or should I just skip out without saying anything.
A good piece of advice was once given to me: "Once you've won, shut up."

No benefit can be gained from talking to CS. At best, they'll cancel your leg, which will happen automatically when you no-show anyway. At worst, they can demand a re-fared ticket price from you, and when you refuse to pay it, they can annotate your PNR and call corporate security and trigger an investigation.

95% chance they'll do the former, but why take the chance? It confers you no benefit to talk to them.

In my experience, the chances of them doing anything to the second person on your PNR are virtually nil. Most of the stuff is automated and will happen automatically when they close the flight. There's a chance they may come on board and ask your second traveler if you're coming (mostly as a courtesy so they don't leave without someone!), but if that happens, just have your second traveler tell them that you had an emergency and won't be able to make the flight--no need for any more detail than that. If you really, really want to make sure life is 100% easy for the other person on your PNR, just ask someone to divide the PNRs. It takes 10 seconds and literally just a couple of keystrokes. No need to explain why or anything. You can do it upon arrival in SFO. If they ask why you want to divide them, just make up a bogus reason like you were hoping to list just yourself for an upgrade or that you may need to make a change to a different flight and it's easier if you're separate or something.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
A good piece of advice was once given to me: "Once you've won, shut up."

No benefit can be gained from talking to CS. At best, they'll cancel your leg, which will happen automatically when you no-show anyway. At worst, they can demand a re-fared ticket price from you, and when you refuse to pay it, they can annotate your PNR and call corporate security and trigger an investigation.

95% chance they'll do the former, but why take the chance? It confers you no benefit to talk to them.

In my experience, the chances of them doing anything to the second person on your PNR are virtually nil. Most of the stuff is automated and will happen automatically when they close the flight. There's a chance they may come on board and ask your second traveler if you're coming (mostly as a courtesy so they don't leave without someone!), but if that happens, just have your second traveler tell them that you had an emergency and won't be able to make the flight--no need for any more detail than that. If you really, really want to make sure life is 100% easy for the other person on your PNR, just ask someone to divide the PNRs. It takes 10 seconds and literally just a couple of keystrokes. No need to explain why or anything. You can do it upon arrival in SFO. If they ask why you want to divide them, just make up a bogus reason like you were hoping to list just yourself for an upgrade or that you may need to make a change to a different flight and it's easier if you're separate or something.

Thanks much! This is just what I needed to hear to make me feel much better.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Skipping last leg

I have skipped the last leg of flights dozens of times but never skipped one where the last leg was an international destination. Anything i should be aware of? I was thinking of booking HNL-SFO-IAD-YYZ and skipping the last leg of IAD-YYZ. Aside of not checking bags, is there anything else i should be concerned over?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
1. That you'll still need a passport to check-in and board.
2. A possibility of an involuntary reroute via EWR/ORD/IAH to YYZ.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
1. That you'll still need a passport to check-in and board.
2. A possibility of an involuntary reroute via EWR/ORD/IAH to YYZ.
Thank you aacharya,

Number 1 would have been an issue 100% for someone in my group. Number 2 was something I considered.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:23 pm

Follow up to this question:

Even though the reservations are split, Two days ago I got CPU's for the two domestic flights from SFO to the east coast.

My travel partner (who has no status) is getting on these two flights. I'm not. I'm getting off in SFO, our first point of entry into the US.

What happens to her? What happens to her CPU's? Do they put her back in a coach seat once they realize I haven't boarded? Does she lose any seat?

Thanks!

I'm looking for advice with a similar situation.

I'm on a flight returning to the east coast from an international destination with the point of entry into the US being SFO.

There's two people on the reservation. Can I stop my travel in SF and if so, will they cancel the second persons return flights to the east coast?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Likely a GA will flag your account for audit. If HQ audits you may face an attempt at a retroactive charge or cancelled MP account. She'll be able to keep the seats though. You can defeat an attempt at back charging easily, but harder to get MP reinstated.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
Follow up to this question:

Even though the reservations are split, Two days ago I got CPU's for the two domestic flights from SFO to the east coast.

My travel partner (who has no status) is getting on these two flights. I'm not. I'm getting off in SFO, our first point of entry into the US.

What happens to her? What happens to her CPU's? Do they put her back in a coach seat once they realize I haven't boarded? Does she lose any seat?

Thanks!
How can you CPU a companion on a split PNR two days out? (Serious question because I don't know how) Or was it an GPU or miles applied?

As far as companion seat I can't imagine she would lose it outside of some sort of oversold situation where she might be the first to get bumped. I don't think your account will be flagged as a previous poster mentioned if you have not made a habit of this.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RedwoodA320
Likely a GA will flag your account for audit.
Not likely at all.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not likely at all.
Happened to three different coworkers on three different flights in the past two months.

Likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.