Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by narvik
Is there a more recent thread than this: Not flying the final segment ?

I have done this before years ago, and am contemplating doing it it again....reluctantly.

Domestic AAA > Domestic BBB > International CCC > Domestic BBB; collect bags at BBB, and not flying last BBB - AAA segment.
There's a 7+ hour layover at BBB on the way back, and I could simply drive home.

Is there a way to do this as 'reasonable' as possible? Call in after arriving at BBB?
What's your experiences here?
Simply call in once you are at BBB (with a 7hr layover I'd wait an hour or two) and tell the agent your plans have changed and to remove you from the BBB-AAA segment. That ends up being a lot easier than dealing with an agent at the airport and it achieves the end-result, getting yu off the BBB-AAA flight.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
It's a paid ticket.
Yeah, the repricing is what's scaring me!
Last time I did this (years ago) at IAD I was told off for about 5 minutes, before they let me go.
If you don't intend to fly the last segment, just leave the airport. Telling an agent might be the courteous thing to do, but there are also downsides. As long as you don't make a habit, there are no downsides for you by just leaving the airport.
SPN Lifer, cruisr, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:02 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I think the most common advice over the years -- if you want to avoid the possibility of a reprice -- has been to get off the plane and just keep walking. If it's a one-off thing, and not a pattern, you almost certainly won't have an issue.
narvik likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
What about canceling the last leg on the app ?

I’m worried that GS would actually try to track me if I don’t show up !
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't know if this works mid-trip, but if it does this'll help the GA's know that you're not coming... "Undo Check-in" is now live
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
If you don't intend to fly the last segment, just leave the airport. Telling an agent might be the courteous thing to do, but there are also downsides. As long as you don't make a habit, there are no downsides for you by just leaving the airport.
I can't quite remember the exact logistics now, but last time I did this at IAD there was somehow a requirement to speak to an agent to be able to get my hands on and leave the airport with my luggage.
It was at that point where I was berated for trying to doing so.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the replies.

I can't quite remember the exact logistics now, but last time I did this at IAD there was somehow a requirement to speak to an agent to be able to get my hands on and leave the airport with my luggage.
I'm guessing that was a result of the midfield security / recheck situation at IAD. If your BBB is IAD, you would run into that issue again. Hopefully for you BBB is EWR.
Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:36 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Gotcha, yeah that would throw a wrench in the plan. Here, assuming you are considering walking out at the U.S. port of entry (if I'm understanding your OP correctly) then obviously this won't be an issue since the bag will be on the carousel. [Edit - I guess except IAD?]
narvik likes this.

Last edited by nnn; Apr 28, 2023 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I'm guessing that was a result of the midfield security / recheck situation at IAD. If your BBB is IAD, you would run into that issue again. Hopefully for you BBB is EWR.
It is EWR this time.

So, to summarize: this can be done easily, except at IAD? Are there any other airports where this is more problematic?
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Apr 28, 2023 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is EWR this time.

So, to summarize: this can be done easily, except at IAD? Are there any airports where this is more problematic?
IAD is the only place where you are not physically able to access the exit.

Note that you are not guaranteed to transit EWR -- if there's a delay, UA can put you through another hub to your ticketed destination. However, on the assumption that you're actually trying to get to AVP, if you get re-routed through ORD and the flight time to AVP isn't appealing, you can probably get them to send you on ORD-EWR anyway.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, narvik and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have had a few BOS-SFO-PEK-EWR-BOS itineraries in the past (boat load of savings on fare vs. EWR<->PEK), and just left EWR after clearing immigration and custom. Calculative move, since UA sending me to another gateway city (SFO, ORD, IAD) would have been low due to connection timing to BOS.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Was flying SFO ORD MKE ....and last segment to Mke very delayed so i took the bus. Agent said no.problem since it's irrops and noted it in record.

Later that night saw message to call to have ticket reissued. Took over an hour with 1k line and rate desk. Waste of time after being delayed all day. But it was reissued and i was credited back $106 for that segment.
Fyi the Coach USA bus leaves from ord bus center, goes to mke airport, costs $38 and takes a little over an hour. I won't book the flight anymore!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Was flying SFO ORD MKE ....and last segment to Mke very delayed so i took the bus. Agent said no.problem since it's irrops and noted it in record.

Later that night saw message to call to have ticket reissued. Took over an hour with 1k line and rate desk. Waste of time after being delayed all day. But it was reissued and i was credited back $106 for that segment.
Can you even reissue a fully flown ticket (minus last leg which you already skipped)? And what would happen if it turns out that you owe them money during reprice?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Can you even reissue a fully flown ticket (minus last leg which you already skipped)? And what would happen if it turns out that you owe them money during reprice?
If a segment has irrops like in the ORD-MKE example above, and you opt to not fly, it will not reprice what's been flown. Agents can certainly refund the residual part of the ticket. I've had this when IAD was borked and we chose to rent a car and drive rather than wait 6+hrs to fly ur final IAD-EWR segment.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If a segment has irrops like in the ORD-MKE example above, and you opt to not fly, it will not reprice what's been flown. Agents can certainly refund the residual part of the ticket. I've had this when IAD was borked and we chose to rent a car and drive rather than wait 6+hrs to fly ur final IAD-EWR segment.
That seems to be what happened. Had a refund on the one segment, future segments stayed intact. I'll find out Sunday if they were in fact reissued correctly....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.