Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
How 'flexible' do you think United would be if the first segment gets canceled, but the remaining ticket is requested to remain unchanged?

Situation:
Have some family members booked on: AVP (Scranton, PA) - EWR - SFO - BNE on award tickets.
My concern is that the first segment AVP - EWR has a decent probability of being canceled due to [current] weather [forecast].
If it's canceled, I could still get them by car to EWR to catch the next segment (which is much less likely to be canceled). They'd not fly the first segment therefore.

Is this something United could/would/might entertain?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, this is a very reasonable option and should not be an issue. My biggest concern would be the computer releasing space on EWR-SFO-BNE as part of an automatic adjustment before you can tell them you'll find your own way to EWR.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:28 am

the Baptist pedants have warped people’s minds, people doing double backflips to squint to see a rule violation.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Is this something United could/would/might entertain?
Yes, this is absolutely SOP. You don't even need an official cancellation -- a significant posted delay is sufficient, provided that a reasonable person would look at that and say "yes, this is a real misconnect chance." The problem is going to be that by the time anything gets posted, it may be too late to pivot to driving, depending upon the scheduled layover at EWR and traffic in between.

Note that it's absolutely essential to contact UA and let them know what's happening so that they can drop the first segment from the reservation. Otherwise, as findark notes, they may already be rebooked… or, if you're doing this to avoid a delay, and then the flight does end up going out, they could be marked a no-show.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, this is a very reasonable option and should not be an issue. My biggest concern would be the computer releasing space on EWR-SFO-BNE as part of an automatic adjustment before you can tell them you'll find your own way to EWR.
Thanks. Yep, that could be an issue, thanks for the heads-up.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, this is absolutely SOP. You don't even need an official cancellation -- a significant posted delay is sufficient, provided that a reasonable person would look at that and say "yes, this is a real misconnect chance." The problem is going to be that by the time anything gets posted, it may be too late to pivot to driving, depending upon the scheduled layover at EWR and traffic in between.

Note that it's absolutely essential to contact UA and let them know what's happening so that they can drop the first segment from the reservation. Otherwise, as findark notes, they may already be rebooked… or, if you're doing this to avoid a delay, and then the flight does end up going out, they could be marked a no-show.
I booked it with enough layover at EWR to take such eventualities into account; i.e. there's enough time to drive there, providing they don't do a rolling delay on AVP-EWR for hours on end, and then cancel when it becomes too late.
Might plan for a specific cut-off time and pull the plug (before they board), if it's likely to delay and/or cancel.

Thanks for the good info.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked it with enough layover at EWR to take such eventualities into account; i.e. there's enough time to drive there, providing they don't do a rolling delay on AVP-EWR for hours on end, and then cancel when it becomes too late.
Might plan for a specific cut-off time and pull the plug (before they board), if it's likely to delay and/or cancel.
Makes sense. Note that if the gate agents at AVP aren't too terribly overworked, they'd be in perfect position to update the record. "I'm really worried about my connection and I've asked narvik to come pick me up and drive me to Newark. Can you please update my reservation and remove the flight so I don't have issues at EWR?"

The only real concern I'd have would be checked luggage. It may be a challenge to get UA to pull the bags and allow you to take them with you to EWR.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Just spitballing, but would it be feasible to ask United to split the ticket? I.E. put AVP-EWR on a separate reservation, such that should it cancel or delay, EWR-SFO-BNE would be unaffected? I assume that would have to involve the rate desk and a supervisor override, but seems like a reasonable thing to ask, at least to my non-airport-operations mind?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, that won't happen outside of IRROPS. It breaks too many things about the ticket record.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Just spitballing, but would it be feasible to ask United to split the ticket? I.E. put AVP-EWR on a separate reservation, such that should it cancel or delay, EWR-SFO-BNE would be unaffected? I assume that would have to involve the rate desk and a supervisor override, but seems like a reasonable thing to ask, at least to my non-airport-operations mind?
UA isn't going to do that, no. Otherwise, they'd have people doing that all the time to try as a form of hidden-city ticketing. I'm definitely not suggesting narvik is doing anything untoward, but UA isn't going to be as understanding.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:18 am

Not flying final segment

Is there a more recent thread than this: Not flying the final segment ?

I have done this before years ago, and am contemplating doing it it again....reluctantly.

Domestic AAA > Domestic BBB > International CCC > Domestic BBB; collect bags at BBB, and not flying last BBB - AAA segment.
There's a 7+ hour layover at BBB on the way back, and I could simply drive home.

Is there a way to do this as 'reasonable' as possible? Call in after arriving at BBB?
What's your experiences here?
Old Apr 28, 2023, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is this paid or award? Not that it really matters. Do this once (or even occasionally), not a problem. You can call or not, though with a paid ticket there's some chance UA tries to reprice the itinerary. If you no-show you'll just be offloaded and your seat given to a standby (assuming there are any).
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is this paid or award? Not that it really matters. Do this once (or even occasionally), not a problem. You can call or not, though with a paid ticket there's some chance UA tries to reprice the itinerary. If you no-show you'll just be offloaded and your seat given to a standby (assuming there are any).
It's a paid ticket.
Yeah, the repricing is what's scaring me!
Last time I did this (years ago) at IAD I was told off for about 5 minutes, before they let me go.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's a paid ticket.
Yeah, the repricing is what's scaring me!
Last time I did this (years ago) at IAD I was told off for about 5 minutes, before they let me go.
UA assumes some number of pax won't show, that's why flights are overbooked. The GAs will just process yours and move on.

An argument can be made that calling is a diversion of cs resources and thus not helpful to UA net-net.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Really helps if you specify the airports - at least for the international ones. At a minimum, what country is CCC in? Is it Canada, Ireland, or somewhere in the Caribbean? If it is, you will most likely not be able to access your bags at BBB.
Old Apr 28, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
If a rare or one-off occurrence, I don't think you'd get dinged for hidden city, since you can drive home from BBB (assuming that saves heaps of time)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.