Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP )

Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Chase in conjunction with UA, as a renewal benefit for certain UA MP-branded Chase credit cards, offer one-time United Club (UC) access passes. {Hyatt also offers similar passes for their top elites.} These passes offer one-time access to the UC (with any airline same day BP) on a space-available basis. No guest privileges. The pass is only for UA operated clubs, cannot be used at non-UA operated lounges.
Note: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) BP requirements change to just UA/*A

Use of passes at a particular UC / airport can be suspended due to capacity / crowding issues. This issue seems to be most common at DEN and EWR due to United Club closures/renovations going on right now; however, all United Clubs can and have denied entry to one-time pass holders due to capacity constraints.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a boarding pass required to use a one-time pass at a United Club?
Yes, you must present a same-day United, Star Alliance, or contracted partner airline's boarding pass.

Can I use these one-time passes at partner/contract/*A lounges?
No. These one-time passes are only used at actual United Club lounges world-wide. Any lounge identified on this page as being operated by "United Club" are eligible for use with one-time passes.

Can I use one-time passes at the new United Club Fly in Denver?
Yes. Whether it's worth it to use it for a glorified grab-n-go food/drink stop is up to you.

Can I use a single one-time pass at multiple United Clubs on the same day?
No. You must surrender your day pass upon entering the club. If you plan to visit multiple United Clubs on the same day, you will need multiple day passes or purchase a United Club Day Pass which is sometimes offered through your reservation. There is anecdotal evidence of pass holders being able to use different UA Clubs at same airport -- inquire at the entry desk (it typically involves a stamp on your boarding pass and it will be very YMMV). However, no way to use the same pass at a different airports.

Are in/out privileges allowed when using the one-time pass?
Technically, no. However, it is not out of the realm of possibility if you ask the lounge attendant nicely. YMMV, though.

How many people can enter the United Club with one-time access pass?
One person per pass. Exception - UC policy is all children under 2 are not considered a formal guest.
A one-time pass admits one person, with no guests, to a United Club location. Exception: children under 2 years of age may accompany someone accessing a United Club location with a one-time pass.
Are minors allowed?
Yes, as long as they are accompanied by another person 18 or older (21 or older if the UA Club offers a self-service bar). Remember, one day pass per person (lap child excluded).

Can I be denied entry into the United Club?
Yes. If an United Club is near full capacity, it will no longer sell day passes. It will also deny entry to those with one-time passes initially and other eligible travelers ( UC member, *G, premier cabin,...) could be delayed on entering once capacity reaches local limits.

Are expired one-time passes still usable?
Expired one-time passes can be used for 50% off admission, up to 30 days after the expiration date.

Can I give my pass to a family member or friend? How?
Yes. Now you can e-mail passes (or generate a PDF) directly from the app to whomever you want. You can also take a screenshot of the pass in the United App and email/message that to your family member. Worst case scenario, you can also e-mail/text the 16-digit code to the one-time pass to your friend/family, and the United Club attendant should be able to key it in manually. The pass will remain in your United App until it is used by someone else at a club, so it remains available for your use (unlike a physical pass).

Can I upload/store the one-time pass in the United app?
As of Summer 2017, all new passes issued by the Chase United Explorer card are now loaded directly into the United app (or accessible on the website). You have the option of either e-mailing or generating a PDF of the pass to send to whomever you want. However, if you receive a pass from someone, you cannot save that to your United account.

I see these passes available for sell on eBay/Craigslist/etc? Are they valid? Is this safe?
It should be noted UA frowns on the third party trading, selling, or bartering of their coupons. As with any transaction of this type, it's always buyer beware; however, reports of issues are very rare.
The current going rate on eBay is $30-45 each for passes with a lengthy expiration date. Passes that expire in a few weeks can be had in the $20-30 range, sometimes even less, as the expiration date approaches.

I cancelled my Chase United Explorer card. Are my passes still valid?
Maybe? A user reported on 10/16/2019 that his passes remained on the United app after their UA Explorer credit card was cancelled weeks ago, and the passes worked without issue at the United Club at MCO. This goes against an earlier finding that... any unused one-time passes will be forfeited from your account--even if you printed out the barcode from the United app for later use. The time between card cancellation to pass invalidation is unknown; however, it is suggested that the passes aren't invalid until they disappear from your UA app. This is now an additional risk one needs to be wary about when buying one-time pass barcodes from eBay/Craigslist. Until there is additional proof, it's best to say: proceed with caution.

Entry is also available for $59 (as of 02/2016) at the UC itself or by purchasing within the United mobile app.

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Archive thread: Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP )

Old Sep 21, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Worthless one time passes offered with the Chase Bank United cc. I was in SFO this week and was turned away (they claimed they were too full and wouldn't accept any one time passes). Frustrating.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Worthless one time passes offered with the Chase Bank United cc. I was in SFO this week and was turned away (they claimed they were too full and wouldn't accept any one time passes). Frustrating.
The rotunda club often doesnt have restrictions when the E and G clubs do.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The rotunda club often doesnt have restrictions when the E and G clubs do.
It was the Rotunda club that wouldn't let me in. Is/was there another club in this same terminal?
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It was the Rotunda club that wouldn't let me in. Is/was there another club in this same terminal?
Three UCs at SFO
Rotunda is the F Club
There is the E Club in the nearby low E Gates.
The G club in the middle of the G concourse, a bit further away and typically one of the first to limit access

But access limitations are dynamic and vary with flight activity.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
That a bit surprising as usually that is the one UC you can get into. As IOT stated it is usually the other clubs, E and G that restrict entry. They have been pretty busy lately, I was just in the E club and it was SRO. When I went in there were no signs posted restricting pass holders but when I left the sign was up.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Usually, the rotunda club is open to pass holders - the past couple of times Ive been there, multiple pass users were in queue with me and got in no problem. The passes arent useless - the vast majority of UCs dont see restrictions. EWR, DEN, and SFO G/E clubs are where youre more apt to run into restrictions, the 1st two because of club construction, the latter because of lack of capacity.

It doesnt take too much travel in a year to make use of 2 passes.
SPN Lifer and nomad420 like this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 5:34 am

FRA United club pass

I just flew threw Frankfurt. I was turned away with my club pass in the business lounge. Can I use this pass anywhere in this airport? Thank you in Advance.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 28, 2022 at 12:43 pm Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
No. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

The one-time pass is only for United Clubs, and cannot be used at non-UA operated lounges.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 28, 2022 at 12:43 pm Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Usually, the rotunda club is open to pass holders - the past couple of times Ive been there, multiple pass users were in queue with me and got in no problem. The passes arent useless - the vast majority of UCs dont see restrictions. EWR, DEN, and SFO G/E clubs are where youre more apt to run into restrictions, the 1st two because of club construction, the latter because of lack of capacity.

It doesnt take too much travel in a year to make use of 2 passes.
Are they usually accepted at ORD UCs?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DK Heinrich
I just flew threw Frankfurt. I was turned away with my club pass in the business lounge. Can I use this pass anywhere in this airport? Thank you in Advance.
There is no United Club at FRA. You can only use them at United Clubs.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are they usually accepted at ORD UCs?
My understanding is that they are usually accepted at the C and F clubs. One of the clubs in B has a reputation for not accepting them. There is a separate thread in this forum specifically discussing the ORD clubs that also discuss the pass question. I'm hoping to use one next week at ORD so I've been reading up on it.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
My understanding is that they are usually accepted at the C and F clubs. One of the clubs in B has a reputation for not accepting them. There is a separate thread in this forum specifically discussing the ORD clubs that also discuss the pass question. I'm hoping to use one next week at ORD so I've been reading up on it.
A few months back my friend was denied at C (overcrowding issues) I had gifted him a pass
Old Sep 30, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Lady tried to use a UC one-time pass at the Vancouver Maple Leaf Lounge this morning: But, youre a United Club!. Response: No maam, were the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge.

Sat near entrance - their gatekeepers definitely have to repel a higher percentage of incoming traffic than UC agents have to.
Oddly enough saw this at a UC in IAH Terminal E last Friday.

Walk in a TON of people trying to get into the lounge. Club agents turning them all away saying this isnt the lounge for your flight.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:56 pm

UC Day pass

Quick question. Can our daughter use a UC Day pass ( from Chase/UA CC ) to access NH lounge at HND when she is flying on NH? Or is the pass limited to UA flights only?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Quick question. Can our daughter use a UC Day pass ( from Chase/UA CC ) to access NH lounge at HND when she is flying on NH? Or is the pass limited to UA flights only?
UC passes work only at United Clubs. It won't work at partner lounges.
Flying Machine likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.