Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP )

Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pseudoswede
Chase in conjunction with UA, as a renewal benefit for certain UA MP-branded Chase credit cards, offer one-time United Club (UC) access passes. {Hyatt also offers similar passes for their top elites.} These passes offer one-time access to the UC (with any airline same day BP) on a space-available basis. No guest privileges. The pass is only for UA operated clubs, cannot be used at non-UA operated lounges.
Note: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) BP requirements change to just UA/*A

Use of passes at a particular UC / airport can be suspended due to capacity / crowding issues. This issue seems to be most common at DEN and EWR due to United Club closures/renovations going on right now; however, all United Clubs can and have denied entry to one-time pass holders due to capacity constraints.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is a boarding pass required to use a one-time pass at a United Club?
Yes, you must present a same-day United, Star Alliance, or contracted partner airline's boarding pass.

Can I use these one-time passes at partner/contract/*A lounges?
No. These one-time passes are only used at actual United Club lounges world-wide. Any lounge identified on this page as being operated by "United Club" are eligible for use with one-time passes.

Can I use one-time passes at the new United Club Fly in Denver?
Yes. Whether it's worth it to use it for a glorified grab-n-go food/drink stop is up to you.

Can I use a single one-time pass at multiple United Clubs on the same day?
No. You must surrender your day pass upon entering the club. If you plan to visit multiple United Clubs on the same day, you will need multiple day passes or purchase a United Club Day Pass which is sometimes offered through your reservation. There is anecdotal evidence of pass holders being able to use different UA Clubs at same airport -- inquire at the entry desk (it typically involves a stamp on your boarding pass and it will be very YMMV). However, no way to use the same pass at a different airports.

Are in/out privileges allowed when using the one-time pass?
Technically, no. However, it is not out of the realm of possibility if you ask the lounge attendant nicely. YMMV, though.

How many people can enter the United Club with one-time access pass?
One person per pass. Exception - UC policy is all children under 2 are not considered a formal guest.
A one-time pass admits one person, with no guests, to a United Club location. Exception: children under 2 years of age may accompany someone accessing a United Club location with a one-time pass.
Are minors allowed?
Yes, as long as they are accompanied by another person 18 or older (21 or older if the UA Club offers a self-service bar). Remember, one day pass per person (lap child excluded).

Can I be denied entry into the United Club?
Yes. If an United Club is near full capacity, it will no longer sell day passes. It will also deny entry to those with one-time passes initially and other eligible travelers ( UC member, *G, premier cabin,...) could be delayed on entering once capacity reaches local limits.

Are expired one-time passes still usable?
Expired one-time passes can be used for 50% off admission, up to 30 days after the expiration date.

Can I give my pass to a family member or friend? How?
Yes. Now you can e-mail passes (or generate a PDF) directly from the app to whomever you want. You can also take a screenshot of the pass in the United App and email/message that to your family member. Worst case scenario, you can also e-mail/text the 16-digit code to the one-time pass to your friend/family, and the United Club attendant should be able to key it in manually. The pass will remain in your United App until it is used by someone else at a club, so it remains available for your use (unlike a physical pass).

Can I upload/store the one-time pass in the United app?
As of Summer 2017, all new passes issued by the Chase United Explorer card are now loaded directly into the United app (or accessible on the website). You have the option of either e-mailing or generating a PDF of the pass to send to whomever you want. However, if you receive a pass from someone, you cannot save that to your United account.

I see these passes available for sell on eBay/Craigslist/etc? Are they valid? Is this safe?
It should be noted UA frowns on the third party trading, selling, or bartering of their coupons. As with any transaction of this type, it's always buyer beware; however, reports of issues are very rare.
The current going rate on eBay is $30-45 each for passes with a lengthy expiration date. Passes that expire in a few weeks can be had in the $20-30 range, sometimes even less, as the expiration date approaches.

I cancelled my Chase United Explorer card. Are my passes still valid?
Maybe? A user reported on 10/16/2019 that his passes remained on the United app after their UA Explorer credit card was cancelled weeks ago, and the passes worked without issue at the United Club at MCO. This goes against an earlier finding that... any unused one-time passes will be forfeited from your account--even if you printed out the barcode from the United app for later use. The time between card cancellation to pass invalidation is unknown; however, it is suggested that the passes aren't invalid until they disappear from your UA app. This is now an additional risk one needs to be wary about when buying one-time pass barcodes from eBay/Craigslist. Until there is additional proof, it's best to say: proceed with caution.

Entry is also available for $59 (as of 02/2016) at the UC itself or by purchasing within the United mobile app.

Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Archive thread: Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass ( OTP )

Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Ive seen re-admittance occasionally too, but Ive seen far more denials. I dont want to set the OP up for an unrealistic expectation. Especially with more automated entrances.

IIRC, the stamp was used when you got your drink chits.
Agree, I would advise asking at A before using the pass, if hoping to visit both A and C. That is one thing I am pretty sure the agents can answer correctly.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by fumje
I'm not sure that's true, actually, regarding no in/out or transfer privilege. I am almost certain I've heard an agent tell someone using a day pass to just scan in at the other club location, and that they didn't need to do anything special. I think once the pass is used, it now activates access for that airport and that day.
The chase pass literally disappears from the app after it is scanned by attendant. Additionally all of the literature about one time passes be it the chase or the ones purchased via the app make it pretty clear it is for one time use. The trip passes being offered as an upsell in the reservation section after booking may have slightly different terms though.

Each pass grants one person one-time access to a United Club location
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...me-passes.html

Edit from an old post, the language no longer appears on the website, but that appears to be the case for the trip pass
United Club℠ trip pass: A United Club trip pass grants a traveler access to all available United Club locations, not including United Arrivals Lounges, United Global First℠ Lounges and United Polaris lounges. You can use the pass at the departing, connecting and arriving airports for one direction of travel, although some lounges may not be accessible after landing on international itineraries. The pass is only good for the person named on the boarding pass (no guests) and expires upon completion of the trip.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34419821-post2.html

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Ive seen re-admittance occasionally too, but Ive seen far more denials.
I've only done it once where there was an odd delay situation going on where it looked like the plane was being swapped via flightaware, but boarding had started via the app for the original plane and hadn't been cleared out for 2 hours. the upstairs counter couldn't get the gate attendant, their contact at airport operations suspected the swap had occurred too, and I didn't want to miss boarding.

I told the agent at the front counter I'd ideally like to check the gate really quick and come back in on a day pass and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Sure enough the new plane was boarding without anything from United via the app or airport signage other than the gate reflecting it. So obviously I didn't get to end up checking re-entry, but in that instance with the conversation and potentially headed straight back, I'm fairly confident I would have been.

Last edited by Mr.Nuke; Mar 4, 2024 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
...I am almost certain I've heard an agent tell someone using a day pass to just scan in at the other club location, and that they didn't need to do anything special. I think once the pass is used, it now activates access for that airport and that day...
A day pass United directly sells in conjunction w/ a ticket works that way. The Chase passes are literally one-time passes, and as mentioned above, disappear from app once scanned.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr.Nuke
The chase pass literally disappears from the app after it is scanned by attendant. Additionally all of the literature about one time passes be it the chase or the ones purchased via the app make it pretty clear it is for one time use. The trip passes being offered as an upsell in the reservation section after booking may have slightly different terms though.

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/tra...me-passes.html

Edit from an old post, the language no longer appears on the website, but that appears to be the case for the trip pass

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34419821-post2.html

I've only done it once where there was an odd delay situation going on where it looked like the plane was being swapped via flightaware, but boarding had started via the app for the original plane and hadn't been cleared out for 2 hours. the upstairs counter couldn't get the gate attendant, their contact at airport operations suspected the swap had occurred too, and I didn't want to miss boarding.

I told the agent at the front counter I'd ideally like to check the gate really quick and come back in on a day pass and they said it wouldn't be a problem. Sure enough the new plane was boarding without anything from United via the app or airport signage other than the gate reflecting it. So obviously I didn't get to end up checking re-entry, but in that instance with the conversation and potentially headed straight back, I'm fairly confident I would have been.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
A day pass United directly sells in conjunction w/ a ticket works that way. The Chase passes are literally one-time passes, and as mentioned above, disappear from app once scanned.
Yes, the pass disappears, because it has been used. However, in so using it, the access has become tied to the boarding pass, which will then work at that airport on that day, at any club.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.