Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Checking in from ZRH again:
- app failed, doesn't even ask me for my Visa details, even though it asks about LPR status (but it does at least remember my passport - i.e. it works when leaving the US)
- online checkin worked (had to enter my Visa number)

My past history has been:
- First visa usage at ZRH: both app and online checkin failed, even though I was entering the Visa number online (i.e. it seems UA want to see the Visa at least once physically)
- Later visa usages at LHR: app fails, but online checkin works (asks me for the Visa number every time)

It's a bit of a pain that the app can't handle this, since all they need to do (presumably) is add a screen asking for my Visa number...
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM
Yesterday flying AKL/SFO - I am a LPR and for the first time it allowed me to checkin on the app, confirmed my alien/USCIS number and issued a mobile boarding pass - that is a first for me! nice overdue improvement. Interesting on the flight SFO/AKL I can checkin on line but will not issue a mobile boarding pass.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never gotten a mobile boarding pass on INTL trips.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA
I have complained here before that I have problems on return flights into Panama, where I am a legal resident but not a citizen. No OLCI and the kiosks at the airport give the yellow screen and require the agent to confirm my resident card.

Those problems disappeared for exactly three trips since September, but again I just got the TINABP. Very frustrating.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I just checked in on-line for my SIN-HKG-ORD flight tomorrow morning and I received the "This is not a boarding pass" non-boarding pass.

Has anyone ever received this for a SIN departure? I departed SIN three weeks ago and received a regular boarding pass on-line.

Anyone have any ideas on what this means specifically in SIN? And perhaps HKG too?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:58 am

I have something weird too..
I was able to OLCI yesterday for my flight FRA - IAD - including BP (print out and phone).
Tried to SDC today and now when calling up the reservation or trying to check in again it says..
We are unable to complete the check-in process at this time. Please proceed to the airport for assistance.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
SHARES strikes again!

OLCI on the international leg of a YVR-SFO-HNL-LIH itinerary with no problem yesterday. We have a one night stopover in SFO.
Tried to OLCI for the second segment (same PNR) to be flown tomorrow, but got the "This is not a boarding pass" response - stating that since we were on an international itinerary (SFO-HNL-LIH), our travel documents would have to be verified at the airport to check-in.

First time this has happened in mid-itinerary for me.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well I am travelling LHR-SFO and I have a mobile boarding pass. And that was using the app to add a new passport too.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:31 pm

OKC-SFO-ICN then NRT-ORD-OKC in Polaris First two weeks ago; no problems using the app to get my mobile boarding pass or loading my girlfriends passport in to get hers.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: None anymore
I have always been able to check in for my international flights online, but my passport is always checked before I receive my boarding pass. I do however receive boarding passes via email; although I'm sure they would check them at the gate if I skipped the ticket agent and went straight to the gate with a printed boarding pass.

Last edited by warrenw; Apr 24, 2017 at 12:33 am Reason: nomenclature
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
I have always been able to check in for my international flights online, but my passport is always checked before I receive my tickets. I do however receive boarding passes via email; although I'm sure they would check them at the gate if I skipped the ticket agent and went straight to the gate with a printed boarding pass.
Sorry, I don't understand this at all. What has getting tickets got to do with receving your boarding pass? Just a bit confused about the order of events here as you are making it sound like part of the check-in process. And what do you mean by "skipped the ticket agent"?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Sorry, I don't understand this at all. What has getting tickets got to do with receving your boarding pass? Just a bit confused about the order of events here as you are making it sound like part of the check-in process. And what do you mean by "skipped the ticket agent"?
I apologize for confusing my terms. Tickets = boarding passes.

I can check in online for international flights and receive boarding passes via email. I have always gone to the counter to get paper tickets anyway, where they check my passport, but if I printed the emailed boarding pass it would get me passed security to the gate. While I'm speculating here, I'm sure I'd have to have them check my passport at the gate but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
I apologize for confusing my terms. Tickets = boarding passes.

I can check in online for international flights and receive boarding passes via email. I have always gone to the counter to get paper tickets anyway, where they check my passport, but if I printed the emailed boarding pass it would get me passed security to the gate. While I'm speculating here, I'm sure I'd have to have them check my passport at the gate but I'm not sure.
Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up!
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Not sure if this is my fault, but IIRC first time trying to checkin for Int'l flight using iPhone app, and get the dreaded "this is not a boarding pass" which I received for THREE years after the merger despite being able to checkin online for Int'l on both PMUA and PMCO

App asked for location and I declined, then app asked for camera (presumably to take photo of my passport, which is already on file" but did not try to take a photo of anything.

Said I was checked in, but no boarding pass to be found, and when I tried at .bomb, also "this is not a boarding pass you will need to checkin at the airport."

Could it be that I declined my location request, or is this just .bomb being .bomb
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid

Could it be that I declined my location request, or is this just .bomb being .bomb
If its not security related, they probably need to verify your travel docs. Does your destination require a visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.