Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Had the same experience as OP with OLCI for ORD - CDG this evening. This was a first for me as I fly this route regularly and have not had a problem obtaining a boarding pass before. Coming home I could always check in online but had to get the BP at the counter due to French security requirements.

Over the weekend I loaded my passport info on my new profile so that should already be in the system. However I wondered if the deal tonight had something to do with the fact this trip was ticketed before 3/3.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Gold, Nexus, Global Entry
It happened to me a few times at yyz. In my case, I have a very common middle eastern name which happens to appear on their watchlist and thus my documents have to be verified. I just stopped using it and go straight to the counter.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So here is the denouement. When I checked in for CDG at ORD on Thursday I had to scan my passport to get my boarding pass. The kiosk said I would automatically be checked in for my return flight and, sure enough, exactly 24 hours before the flight I got an email with a BP PDF attached. However I didn't have access to a printer. At CDG this morning the agent seemed surprised and asked if I was already checked in. I said I was and asked what would happen if I had printed the BP and headed straight to the gate. She said I would have been turned back to complete the security check at the check-in area.Nothing new there. The big surprise was the automatic check-in.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:30 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I encountered this issue at DEN, buy you can avoid standing in line by using a kiosk. The message makes you think that you need to deal with a person.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
Has anyone from Canada ever managed to do OLCI since 3/3?

I commute almost weekly from YQB to the US and never had any issues with OLCI on UA before. My passport was simply checked at the gate.

Now UA is denying me to OLCI my BP every single time with the error message stated by the OP.

Because of this technical glitch, I have to leave 45min earlier and before my kids wake up in the morning. It makes a *huge* difference for me. Very frustrating, I hope they will fix this very soon.

(and the kiosk does not work either with same error message so I have to wait in line for half an hour with dozens of people in the same situation)
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by gnaget
I encountered this issue at DEN, buy you can avoid standing in line by using a kiosk. The message makes you think that you need to deal with a person.
Encountered it at PDX and it did require an agent for us.

Thanks, all, for the great info info in this post.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, SkyMiles, Rapid Rewards, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
OLCI Error - Any insight?

Hey all, I'm flying CMH>EWR>SAT tomorrow with my mother and stepfather. We have split PNRs because I'm going first class. My problem is when I try to check any of us in online... I'm getting "We are unable to complete the check-in process as your reservation has not yet been ticketed or you are holding a paper ticket. Please proceed to the airport for assistance."

Since we haven't got a paper ticket and my reservation on United.com says "This reservation has been ticketed and confirmed." I called CS. They looked into it but can't do anything either.

My question to all of you is should all or one of us be looking for the dreaded SSSS on the tickets tomorrow or does this sound like a PSS issue?

I'd appreciate any thoughts :-)
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UAL 1k Million Miler, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
1 have had the same problem for years on united. When i am traveling between the US and Canada in either direction I am unable to check-in online. I have complained numerous times to the 1k desk but I am told it is because my passport needs to be validated as it is a non-US passport. It has become very annoying as I have lost many many upgrades by only being able to check in at the airport as by then everybody else has been upgraded ahead of me. I have asked a co-worker if he has the same problem but he manages to check in on-line without a problem. The only difference is he has a US passport. I had the same problem again this week! The United website is discriminating non Americans. By the way it also happens on all my international flights.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Caught me this AM for my flight tomorrow. Did int'l under 5 months ago on UA/CO, 15 segments this year already...can't get a BP. This system gets more stupid every day.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Caught me this AM for my flight tomorrow. Did int'l under 5 months ago on UA/CO, 15 segments this year already...can't get a BP. This system gets more stupid every day.
You had an international flight where you checked in with UA or CO 5 months ago?

Plus 3/3 could have had something to do with resetting the clock.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kwildnj
You had an international flight where you checked in with UA or CO 5 months ago?

Plus 3/3 could have had something to do with resetting the clock.
Correct - one on CO, one on UA. Anyways, I know 3 months is the magic date, it's just another annoyance.

And even though I've "checked in", apparently since I can't get a BP without scanning my passport, I also cannot show up on the UG standby list.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's problem appears to be random selection, not passport

OP states that he was randomly selected for further screening (the old "SSSS"). That will generally require a BP printed at the airport.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Originally Posted by Often1
OP states that he was randomly selected for further screening (the old "SSSS"). That will generally require a BP printed at the airport.
I wish that it was just a random selection. However, I've shared the same problem others noted above, I was unable to print my boarding pass on an int'l itinerary two weeks ago. There was a specific notice saying I was unable to because it was an int'l flight and they had to check my passport. . . and there was no special screening. I don't recall having this issue pre 3/3. And, for what it's worth, my last int'l trip was fewer than 90 days before this last check in. . .

Here's crossing my fingers because I have another int'l departure this Saturday. . .
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
OLCI not working - what can I do?

I'm set to fly SEA-FRA tomorrow and have tried the online check-in 3 times. I keep getting a message stating that I cannot be checked in and that my documents must be reviewed at the airport prior to completing check in.

I've called the 1K line three times to see if they can help and / or shed any light on what's going on here. No luck. The first 2 agents said that I was already checked in; the third said that I was not, tried to check me in herself, and got the same message.

Help! Is there anything I can do to get this taken care of? Just want to ensure that I get on that 24-hr window upgrade request list as soon as possible as my chances for Business are looking pretty slim....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions here.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
This issue has come up a lot since the switch over to SHARES. Short of heading to the airport and having your passport swiped/checked, you are out of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.