Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 7:19 am

A few weeks ago at IAD, I asked the at the CS desk why I wasn't on the upgrade waitlist:

"Only Platinum members or higher are qualified for complimentary upgrades. Gold and Silver members aren't eligible"

Which was followed by: "I can't add you to the list manually. Only the system can do that." Which was then followed up with "You could try asking the gate agent. I'm not going to have my ID number on that."

A tip to any pmCO customer service agents who don't know what the policies are, one lie is better than two. Telling me that you're unable to do something in the system and then saying you don't want to is inconsistent.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by flavorflav
Not to ruin the fun, but the subject line for this thread is an ugly one. I hope someone starts a corresponding "Biggest whopper you've ever heard from a UA passenger" thread in the interest of fair play.

"DYKWIA?"

"I was told I had club access with this ticket"

"I've flown XX miles with this airline, I'm entitled to [insert perk here]"

And so on.

I'm not saying whoppers aren't told by employees -- or passengers. But that subject line strikes me as abusive toward the UACO employees whose posts in this forum are so valuable.
Except you are ignoring that those passengers were quite likely told by UA employees (or misled by ads or the website) that they were actually entitled to those things.
Old May 11, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
Captain: "Too upset to fly"

About 3 years ago I was flying PMUA SLC-DEN. Arrived at the gate close to departure time and saw a captian engaged in a heated call on his cell phone. We boarded, then sat for 45 minutes with no announcements. Then the captain came on the PA and said, parapharasing, "that some of you may have witnessed a confrontation in the gate area before boarding." (I had arrived too late to witness the event.) He want on to say that
"he was too upset to fly the plane safely to Denver" and that he was cancelling the flight. A gasp of amazement went up in the cabin and we all deplaned.

USA Today picked up the story, and according to the paper the pilots were refusing to wear their hats as a sign of solidarity over some dispute with management. The arriving cockpit crew had caught our pilot wearing his hat, and conflict ensued.

Last edited by pauljacobson958; May 11, 2012 at 8:25 am Reason: Misspelled Word
Old May 11, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
In ORD, in F to YVR: I have a rollaboard with a tote attached and my purse. Husband has a rollaboard. As we are on line, ready to board, one of the GAs said to me I can not bring these items onboard as I have more than 2. I told him this is my first UA flt since the merger and CO always let me. He said that they did things wrong. Not wanting to argue, my husband said to give him my tote. As I am doing that the GA said I cant do that. When asked why he said that the tote had not been in my husband's possesion and he was excepting something from someone that was not his.....Then he goes on to say that he will have to call TSA....I couldnt freakin believe it.

I ended up shoving my purse into the tote (obviously not a big purse if it fit in the tote) Before I get flamed for briging on too much, rollerboard allways fits in overhead, tote and purse underseat.
Old May 11, 2012, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps he meant a 380 (for LH?)
Hey Zach,
if only, we were on a 319.
Even the Kettles on the plane laughed

Originally Posted by N1120A
I'm thinking it was more sarcasm.

^^

I've never had an issue with that.
He was serious unfortunately

Originally Posted by flavorflav
Not to ruin the fun, but the subject line for this thread is an ugly one. I hope someone starts a corresponding "Biggest whopper you've ever heard from a UA passenger" thread in the interest of fair play.

"DYKWIA?"

"I was told I had club access with this ticket"

"I've flown XX miles with this airline, I'm entitled to [insert perk here]"

And so on.

I'm not saying whoppers aren't told by employees -- or passengers. But that subject line strikes me as abusive toward the UACO employees whose posts in this forum are so valuable.
Your handle here is "Flavorflav", you're not serious?
You start a thread, didn't you notice the smiley face?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 11, 2012 at 8:45 am Reason: merge
Old May 11, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by arthurg
About a month ago after landing on an IAH-EWR on a 753.
Cap turns off the seatbelt sign, door doesn't open for a few minutes.

"Ladies and gentleman, this is the captain from the flight deck. Apparently the ground crew though this was a 737 and they didn't match the jetway with the door. Give us a few minutes to find someone who knows what they are doing"

Seatbelt sign back on
Originally Posted by pauljacobson958
About 3 years ago I was flying PMUA SLC-DEN. Arrived at the gate close to departure time and saw a captian engaged in a heated call on his cell phone. We boarded, then sat for 45 minutes with no announcements. Then the captain came on the PA and said, parapharasing, "that some of you may have witnessed a confrontation in the gate area before boarding." (I had arrived too late to witness the event.) He want on to say that
"he was too upset to fly the plane safely to Denver" and that he was cancelling the flight. A gasp of amazement went up in the cabin and we all deplaned.

USA Today picked up the story, and according to the paper the pilots were refusing to wear their hats as a sign of solidarity over some dispute with management. The arriving cockpit crew had caught our pilot wearing his hat, and conflict ensued.
Are these really whoppers? The first one sounds like the pilot telling the absolute truth, probably after saying "Are you @#$% kidding me?" to himself, and if the second dude really was still all jacked off, he probably made the right call. There have been times when I've been so bothered by an argument, even 45 mins later, that while I can safely sit at my desk and fume, I probably shouldn't operate an airborne metal tube at 600 mph with hundreds of lives at stake.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by cruisr
In ORD, in F to YVR: I have a rollaboard with a tote attached and my purse. Husband has a rollaboard. As we are on line, ready to board, one of the GAs said to me I can not bring these items onboard as I have more than 2. I told him this is my first UA flt since the merger and CO always let me. He said that they did things wrong. Not wanting to argue, my husband said to give him my tote. As I am doing that the GA said I cant do that. When asked why he said that the tote had not been in my husband's possesion and he was excepting something from someone that was not his.....Then he goes on to say that he will have to call TSA....I couldnt freakin believe it.

I ended up shoving my purse into the tote (obviously not a big purse if it fit in the tote) Before I get flamed for briging on too much, rollerboard allways fits in overhead, tote and purse underseat.
"The rules don't apply to me"
Old May 11, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I FA told me that he had been part of the UA group training CO FA's on the 744 becasue IAH-AKL was becoming SFO-IAH-AKL on a 744 due to the delay in the 787.

It would have been nice to hop a 744 SFO-IAH
Old May 11, 2012, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
As we are on line, ready to board, one of the GAs said to me I can not bring these items onboard as I have more than 2. I told him this is my first UA flt since the merger and CO always let me. He said that they did things wrong. Not wanting to argue, my husband said to give him my tote. As I am doing that the GA said I cant do that. When asked why he said that the tote had not been in my husband's possesion and he was excepting something from someone that was not his.....Then he goes on to say that he will have to call TSA.
While the GA was correct on what you can bring onboard, the idea that a husband accepting a bag from his wife is a security risk
Old May 11, 2012, 10:38 am

BING!!! "SEAT BELTS - PLEASE!!!" Then cruising along for upwards of 3 or more hours, without a single bump, all the time with the seat-belt light on continually and not turned off until the good Capt finishes his crossword puzzle. Watching people belly crawl to the lav's so they don't get yelled at, over the PA, does make the time pass more quickly!

Last edited by LilAbner; May 11, 2012 at 11:12 am Reason: spelling
Old May 11, 2012, 10:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Mostly in relation to turn around times. Flight xxx is supposed to come in at 2:30 now showing 3:05. Flight yyy using the same aircraft is supposed to leave at 3:15. I ask the agent what time our new departure time is going to be. "Oh there won't be a delay, we can turn it around fast". Yeah, right, especially when these were Ted 320s
Old May 11, 2012, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
(January 4, 2010)
Continental Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek told employees Monday that he won't accept his annual salary or bonus until the company is profitable for a full year.

(April 26 , 2012)
United Continental Holdings, Inc. reported a first-quarter 2012 net loss of $286 million or $0.87 loss per share, excluding $162 million of net special charges consisting primarily of integration-related costs. Including special charges, UAL reported a first-quarter 2012 net loss of $448 million or $1.36 loss per share.

Smisek's compensation package now totals $13.4 million annually...
Clearly, Smisek's original position had "evolved" and he thought it was a change you would like!
Old May 11, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I don't really have a "whopper", but I have several "whopper juinors":

ICC: "Sir, LAX is only for our international flights, you will need to fly into SNA"

FA (on a flight where we were stuck in the PB without a gate): "anyone with tight connections, please don;t worry, they will hold the flights for you"

GA: "sir, I am sorry, but we do not allow standby on regional jets"

GA: "Thanks for volunteering" ME: "No problem, can you do travel credits or do I have to take the VDB voucher?" (*PMUA days) GA: I am sorry sir, we don't so that anymore we can only accommodate volunteers on the later flight"
Old May 11, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
I FA told me that he had been part of the UA group training CO FA's on the 744 becasue IAH-AKL was becoming SFO-IAH-AKL on a 744 due to the delay in the 787.

It would have been nice to hop a 744 SFO-IAH
Doubt it. United will have a few 787s in the fleet long before CO FAs are able to work on UA planes and vice versa. Union issues.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: 1K
All flights from IAD-ORD, including yours, are cancelled

Due to high winds...a full 18 hours before scheduled take off. This one worked out in my favor because apparently the plane scheduled to leave an hour earlier wasn't an "all flight"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.