Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
"You must use a GPU to upgrade IAH-HNL. A RPU is not sufficient."

Then again, this wasn't a whopper, since the person just didn't know.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
I've heard many GAs and FAs give variations of their own "security protocols" for flights into IAD/DCA:

"Because of increased security measures for flights into our Nation's Capital, we cannot ____________."

Some of the "new" protocols include:
- allow passengers to have more than one carry-on
- switch seats after the door closes
- move from economy to economy plus
- allow you to use electronic devices during taxi, takeoff, or landing
- store laptops in the seat-back pockets
Old May 11, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
(January 4, 2010)
Continental Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek told employees Monday that he won't accept his annual salary or bonus until the company is profitable for a full year.

(April 26 , 2012)
United Continental Holdings, Inc. reported a first-quarter 2012 net loss of $286 million or $0.87 loss per share, excluding $162 million of net special charges consisting primarily of integration-related costs. Including special charges, UAL reported a first-quarter 2012 net loss of $448 million or $1.36 loss per share.

Smisek's compensation package now totals $13.4 million annually...
Winner, as others have said.

-jeremy

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 12, 2012 at 5:04 am Reason: unnecessary
Old May 11, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by mbluecpa
I probably hear a good handful of times a year from a FA on a delayed inbound flight to a hub something along the lines of "don't worry about connections, all flights are delayed," or a favorite, "they'll hold flights for connecting passengers." Only once in memory have I heard the honest truth from a then-NW FA, to the effect of "we don't hold planes, you've missed your connection, see someone to rebook."
I've been fed that line only to watch my connecting flight leave DEN without me.
Old May 11, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I was on with a legacy CO rep last night on a schedule change (typical 40-minute call these days), and I made a comment how SHARES always takes so long for these issues.

She said it's better than UA's old system, which required customers to go to the airport for reissues. I corrected her and told her that with UA, the ticket reissues would have been queued up to the back office to be reissued overnight, thereby freeing up the agent to take more calls.

She was surprised to hear that.
Old May 11, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
"United doesn't serve ORD anymore" (the ZRH station struggling with my autochanged ZRH-IAD-ORD itinerary)

"we endorsed your missed connection of CX/TG/JJ. Just go to the gate a retrieve your onward boarding pass..." (the HKG,BKK,GRU stations respectively)

"You can no longer check bags more than 50lb even as a 1K unless you are in First Class" - showing F itinerary - "Even in First Class the limit is now one bag of 50lb" (at DFW)

"Your US visa shows as no longer valid, I have to cancel your upgrade" (the EZE station)
Old May 11, 2012, 10:30 pm

Location: "And I'm in Colorado, when I'm not in some hotel..."
Programs: UA Global Services, IHC Plantinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Elite
Today when arriving from a non-stop First Class Fare LAS-DEN. My bag was "At DEN, but lost". "You'll have your bag by 7:30pm sir - no problem" It's 10:30pm - no way I'm seeing that bag tonight...

They just called to re-affirm my suspicion
Old May 11, 2012, 10:45 pm

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot!

Nearly anything after, "Weeeeell Foooolks"!
Old May 11, 2012, 11:42 pm

"There's no missing luggage on your flight"

or "your bag isn't in our system, it could be anywhere".

when I dropped the extraordinarily traceable 2-suiter off with the skycap, saw him tag the bag with my destination & scan it, and sit it right next to the stand.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat
Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendent, Gate-Ticket Agent?

FA announced that they had a new system and could tell that there were exactly six people with their cell phones still on. I thought the whopper with the specific number was pretty clever!
Old May 12, 2012, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by hobo13
'You'll see a number of changes in the months ahead, and I think you'll like them.'

Two years ago the ticket agent in the LAX RCC:

"Sir, you're on an international V fare and that is not upgradable. Only Y,B,M and H fares are upgradable with systermwides."

After telling her to call and verify her info she eventually paged me back to the desk and applied the upgrade saying:

"This must be a new change because I've been here for [I forget] years and that's never been possible."

On yesterday's flight I caught Jeffie Jeff talking about a 'seamless IT experience'.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dsquared37

On yesterday's flight I caught Jeffie Jeff talking about a 'seamless IT experience'.
Yes, that one should get an honorable mention.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by LilAbner
The two scariest words you can hear over an aircraft PA. Whatever comes next, it's never good.

Originally Posted by smartinez
FA announced that they had a new system and could tell that there were exactly six people with their cell phones still on. I thought the whopper with the specific number was pretty clever!
I've heard that too and it's such nonsense it leads any smart passenger to deduce the FA is a lying, devious idiot, so you stop paying attention to anything else he/she says.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by LilAbner
+1
Old May 12, 2012, 9:58 am

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
In printed materials /emails of the time: "United will convert all TATL business class to lieflats by 2009""

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.