Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by AirTravelLover
I can answer my own question now. I was ready to watch the first debate on the evening flight to LGA, however, day before the departure it showed the 737-800 had no Direct TV. After getting on board, I realized this 738 with 5 rows in the First Class had no extra space for Row 1 either, which was different from my previous experience on a 4-row FC 738. Also I thought the 738s without direct TV were supposed to be newer, but the aircraft I was on looked pretty old.
The aircraft you were on was more then likely a 738 with 5 rows of F and drop down screens from the overhead bins every few rows.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The aircraft you were on was more then likely a 738 with 5 rows of F and drop down screens from the overhead bins every few rows.
Why does this configuration exist exactly? It's not an old version, is it? It's not one where they have the 3 year and going "temporary" seats, right?

My folks are on one of these today.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Why does this configuration exist exactly? It's not an old version, is it? It's not one where they have the 3 year and going "temporary" seats, right?

My folks are on one of these today.
The 738s with 5 rows of F seats were delivered between 2001-2003 those are tail #s 260-277. The plan was back then to to have all 738s equipped with 5 rows of F seats, and the mid-cabin lav, however those plans were scrapped and all new delivery 738s are coming equipped with 16F cabin. The 738s with temp seats, should be getting the new seats along with the DTV installs. Also the mid-cabin lav 738s will be getting the mid-cabin lav removed and F class will go from 20 to 16 seats when they go in for DTV and E+ installs.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
737-900: new lighting and decor but no entertainment system?

Flew today from SAN to DEN in a new 737-900 with the new lighting and decore. Blue cirucular lights in the ceiling, blue side lights, etc.
but there were no TV screens in the plane at all. I though I was back on Southwest Airlines.
I never got a chance to ask the crew if this was a substitute plane or if there is going to be a whole bunch of planes without any screens.
Frankly I did not miss it. I was in First Class and was happily working away while listening to my IPOD. But I was surprised.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:40 pm

Must be one of those brand new planes that doesn't have the new BE/Aerospace seats yet due to the Koito issue.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:09 pm

All new delivery 738/739 come IFEless, however get DTV installed at a later date.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Everyday we get 3 threads on this.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I can understand why customers are somewhat taken aback regarding this issue since other carriers seem capable to deliver their new planes complete with IFE.

Delta's new 738's (which have SatelliteTV, AVOD & WiFi) are delivered with all systems installed.

Also, I'm not sure if any of the Koito-era "temporary interior" planes are still waiting to receive their permanent interiors, but the fact that CO dba UA starts flying these planes before they get their LiveTV installed is simply another way the airline diminishes the product for the customer.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Why not just click on the little triangle and report it? @:-)
Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I have a better solution:

Why doesn't CO dba UA just deliver its new 738's/39's fully configured?

That would truly be a win-win...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

Agreed!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by LIH Prem

Because the chosen IFE vendor for those aircraft won't make the financial investment necessary to install at the Boeing factory in Renton.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richk_30
Because the chosen IFE vendor for those aircraft won't make the financial investment necessary to install at the Boeing factory in Renton.
And yet other carriers who use the same satellite TV vendor have their a/c fully equipped before they operate them...
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
And yet other carriers who use the same satellite TV vendor have their a/c fully equipped before they operate them...
True. Those airlines take the time to modify once received from Boeing prior to going into service.

CO has chosen to modify on a fixed schedule which means bringing the aircraft into service first and then later retrofitting them.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richk_30
True. Those airlines take the time to modify once received from Boeing prior to going into service.

CO has chosen to modify on a fixed schedule which means bringing the aircraft into service first and then later retrofitting them.
Exactly.

The result? In the interim, less value to the customer.

In actuality, there is no difference, since the planes have to go to Melbourne, FL to receive the mod anyway. They either sit down there before going into service or sometime thereafter...

So why not just do it before putting the a/c into service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.