Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry I meant 5, 4's okay.
What's wrong with 5

Other than equipment swaps.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
What's wrong with 5
Limited recline.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:04 am

Can anyone tell my by chance if Row 20 has the tray table in the armrest or if it has a standard armrest? I'm guessing that it has the solid armrest with the tray table inside, but I can't find a definitive answer. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:29 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Kacee
What's wrong with 5
Limited recline.
^ tho more like almost zero recline
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by oshelef
New layout? Or at least new to me...

My thursday transcon has a 737-900, but the seat map is different than usual.

1-5 are F, 7-21 are e+, but it stops at row 12. No row 15. As usual, 7 is only DEF. 22-38 are e. The seat map makes it look like they removed row 15 and streched out 7-12,20.

The map is different then the 4 types listed on united.com (or seatguru)

Should I expect any other differences?
Looking at the same seat map for an upcoming flight you originally saw for your flight, and unsure what to expect. Anyone seen (or flown) a 739 with no row 15 and 12DEF missing? If so, what does that area look like, and what E+ seats do you recommend for a red-eye?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I had my first TCON flight on a 739 yesterday. We crossed a couple of weather fronts from EWR to SFO, and experienced moderate turbulence that really rattled the aircraft. Is it my imagination, or do these aircraft not handle turbulence as well as the 757s they replace? They are quite underpowered, by comparison.

Another point of comparison, we connected to an A320 at SFO, and went through similar rough air on climb out that had rattled the 739 pretty significantly on the descent. The A320 cut through this chop smoothly.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
I had my first TCON flight on a 739 yesterday. We crossed a couple of weather fronts from EWR to SFO, and experienced moderate turbulence that really rattled the aircraft. Is it my imagination, or do these aircraft not handle turbulence as well as the 757s they replace? They are quite underpowered, by comparison.

Another point of comparison, we connected to an A320 at SFO, and went through similar rough air on climb out that had rattled the 739 pretty significantly on the descent. The A320 cut through this chop smoothly.
Yes, in so many ways the 737s are a significant step back from the 757s. Even little things like the extra space and quicker boarding that door 2 opens up on the 757s go a very long way. I also find the window seats on the 737s to be significantly more cramped in the feet due to the curvature of the aircraft.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by adambadam
I also find the window seats on the 737s to be significantly more cramped in the feet due to the curvature of the aircraft.
I was under the impression that it's the same aluminium tube for both frames
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I was under the impression that it's the same aluminium tube for both frames
No. The 757 fuselage is "rounder"; the 737, more oval.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
No. The 757 fuselage is "rounder"; the 737, more oval.
Nope, they're the same cross section. 757 has a slightly lower floor. Only difference you can see in this comparison is the wing box differs a bit.

Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Nope, they're the same cross section. 757 has a slightly lower floor. Only difference you can see in this comparison is the wing box differs a bit.

So is it just me, or do others find the 739 rougher riding than the 757? Perhaps the smaller/lower tail also contributes to its jumping around in moderate chop?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by LukeRB
Looking at the same seat map for an upcoming flight you originally saw for your flight, and unsure what to expect. Anyone seen (or flown) a 739 with no row 15 and 12DEF missing? If so, what does that area look like, and what E+ seats do you recommend for a red-eye?
There are only two configs (none of which match yours). Slimline 20/42/117 and regular 20/51/96. What you're seeing is almost definitely a hybrid between the two. By not showing 12DEF, 14, or 15, they're avoiding making seats available that might not be there (or might be E-) depending on the config.

As a gold, if you're angling for a (better) E+ seat I'd suggest checking on it at T-48, 36, and 25 as the map will "resolve" once a bird is assigned. As long as you make it in before all the silvers can check-in you should have your pick if the rows are E+. If it's the slimline config just take comfort in knowing that your Y- seat has more room than the slimline restroom .

*Yes, the UA site shows a 20/39/120 config, but we've yet to see it in the wild. Now that two A-models have been successfully converted to the 20/42/117 config there's no logical portion of the fleet that would lack the space to make this config.

Last edited by wto605; Jul 17, 2015 at 11:57 pm
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
1e or 4b

How tight is 1e on the leg room? Can chose either that or 4b for a flight tomorrow. Usually prefer row one if its not too tight as I would rather not have someone reclining into my lap and if my seat mate can sneak out. Lack of underseat storage isn't a deal breaker.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mduell

The lower floor and curvature of the fuselage is very noticeable in the window seats, when it curves into your foot space.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:13 pm

United Airlines Economy Plus changed to Economy

So I am soon flying from SFO to KOA on a United 737-900 on flight 1723. For the months that I have had this reservation, rows 12-15 have been marked as Economy Plus on the seat map. Just today (2 days before the flight) these rows switched from the Economy Plus Blue color on the seat map to the normal economy white color, meaning that you don't have to pay to sit in them. Why would United change this? Are there any downsides to switching my seats to these rows from row 24 (where I am currently seated)? Any info on why they do this would be awesome!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.