Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everything you want to know about 737-900 (739)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I ended up on the new slimline flight. My observations:

1 - the new seats do not smell as bad as the A320 ones
2 - they are just as uncomfortable as the A320 ones
3 - the larger magazine space is good but the non-meshed pocket is not as nice
4 - it is crazy how some rows before the exit row are Y+ and some are Y. I guess this could be the start of shrinking Y+ to DL size...
5 - the mid-cabin bathroom is tiny. The sink is so small and it is crazy people how many people don't wash their hands (you hear the flush then the door opens right away)

Did not get to check the back bathrooms.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by username
So, I ended up on the new slimline flight. My observations:

1 - the new seats do not smell as bad as the A320 ones
2 - they are just as uncomfortable as the A320 ones
3 - the larger magazine space is good but the non-meshed pocket is not as nice
4 - it is crazy how some rows before the exit row are Y+ and some are Y. I guess this could be the start of shrinking Y+ to DL size...
5 - the mid-cabin bathroom is tiny. The sink is so small and it is crazy people how many people don't wash their hands (you hear the flush then the door opens right away)

Did not get to check the back bathrooms.
Welcome to slimline restrooms... at least there are still walls. The one in back are the standard size (presumably due to accessibility requirements).
Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Okay I've read the last ten pages of this thread and could not find a definitive answer: Is there a cut-out for 1A/B on this aircraft? If so, is it for both A & B, or is it just B?

(I've flown 1B on this aircraft and just cannot for the life of me remember.)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:06 pm

UA E+ just before flight

I have searched the forum and know this has been asked before but found most of the replies more then two years old and refer to corporate systems merging.

I have flown twice in the past two weeks and both times, 24 to 48 hours before the flight, seats that were once E+ for a charge have changed to Economy at no charge. I can see my flight scheduled in 48 hours right now where seat 12B is still blue (E+) on the flight seat map and 12E (same row!) is white (regular economy).

It allows me to select any seat in row 13 or 14 without the fee. Is this too good to be true and will I end up with no seat reservation at all?

E- is not full. There are still 7 Economy seats open including the entire last row all being empty.

I am enrolled in the Mileage program but just recently signed up.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by My2angels0
I have flown twice in the past two weeks and both times, 24 to 48 hours before the flight, seats that were once E+ for a charge have changed to Economy at no charge. I can see my flight scheduled in 48 hours right now where seat 12B is still blue (E+) on the flight seat map and 12E (same row!) is white (regular economy).

It allows me to select any seat in row 13 or 14 without the fee. Is this too good to be true and will I end up with no seat reservation at all?
It's an aircraft configuration issue. Those are not E+ seats on that aircraft. 737-900v3.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:27 pm

They were marked as economy plus yesterday. Today they are Economy.

It is a 737-900.

Right this minute, 12A and 12C are full. 12B is Economy plus. 12D, E and F are open.

If they aren't E+ seats, why were they not available before and if I grab one now, will I get to keep it?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:37 pm

They were marked as economy plus yesterday. Today they are Economy.

It is a 737-900.

Right this minute, 12A and 12C are full. 12B is Economy plus. 12D, E and F are open.

If they aren't E+ seats, why were they not available before and if I grab one now, will I get to keep it?
Did you look at the seat map I linked for you? Your scheduled aircraft is the 737-900 v3. Go ahead and choose 12D, E, or F, they are not E+ on that aircraft.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:48 pm

I'm so sorry! Did not see the link. Thank you so much!

Still curious as to why the seats are blocked until just before the flight. Is this standard practice? It could have been a coincidence but it's happened on both of my round trip flights recently. Is it due to the way the plane needs to be balanced or something else?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:02 pm

I'm so sorry! Did not see the link. Thank you so much!

Still curious as to why the seats are blocked until just before the flight. Is this standard practice? It could have been a coincidence but it's happened on both of my round trip flights recently. Is it due to the way the plane needs to be balanced or something else?
Because there are several versions of the 739 in operation, UA will use a proxy seat map for the 739 until relatively close to departure. That map doesn't actually match any aircraft. Then when they know which version is actually flying the route, they switch in the true seat map.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Is the consensus a cut-out only for 2b?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
UA1249 - 01/25 - PHX-SFO seat config?

Can someone please tell me which seat configuration this plane is flying?

It's a 739, but the seatmap on United.com only shows up to row 12 in E+ (then row 20), which doesn't match any of the Seat Guru maps.

Currently booked 3 pax into row 12, want to know if it has a window or not.

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by patrick.barnes
Can someone please tell me which seat configuration this plane is flying?

It's a 739, but the seatmap on United.com only shows up to row 12 in E+ (then row 20), which doesn't match any of the Seat Guru maps.

Currently booked 3 pax into row 12, want to know if it has a window or not.

Thanks!
That's the placeholder configuration, operations has yet to determine which aircraft you will be seeing so they aren't allowing anyone to select rows 14/15. Regardless there are no longer any non-E+ 739s which means your two options are the classic cloth seat config and slimline

Regardless, missing windows are possible for rows 11 (port side only) and 12 (both sides) on all 739s
Old Mar 13, 2015, 5:47 pm

On 737-900(V1/V2), which seat has more legroom? 1E(first aisle) or 21E(E+ exit aisle)

On 737-900(V1/V2), which seat has more legroom?
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-900_A.php

1E (first class, bulkhead aisle)

or

21E (Economy Plus, exit aisle)

I just got CPU on SFO-RDU nonstop. (as a Gold member) I had 21E. After the upgrade, I have 1E, but I'm not really looking forward to it, if it has less legroom to stretch out. First class is all full at this time. Can I reject the upgrade and go back to 21E?

Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AppleApe
On 737-900(V1/V2), which seat has more legroom?
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni..._737-900_A.php

1E (first class, bulkhead aisle)

or

21E (Economy Plus, exit aisle) ...
1E is might be a bit less {and no underseat storage} but it is still very decent and better IMO then non-row 1 F seats. I would stay in 1E.

Originally Posted by AppleApe
.... I just got CPU on SFO-RDU nonstop.
Can I reject the upgrade and go back to 21E? ....
maybe, to downgrade your original fare class needs to be available --- if not available now, it will likely be available day of travel BUT 21E might disappear quickly if it has not already.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
1E is might be a bit less {and no underseat storage} but it is still very decent and better IMO then non-row 1 F seats. I would stay in 1E.
Agree 100%.

I did a transcon in 21A two weeks ago and while the legroom is excellent the dude in the seat behind me had his knees jammed in my back the entire flight. Even with an empty middle, this was not a comfortable flight. The slimlines have seriously degraded the Y experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.