Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
From MileagePlus Upgrade Awards in the T&Cs

What is the refund policy for MileagePlus Upgrade Awards that do not clear the waitlist?If you request an upgrade using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award, and none of your travel segments are upgraded, then we will automatically redeposit your miles and co-pay. In most instances, a MileagePlus Upgrade Award will be considered used if any segment of your travel is upgraded. However, if your travel includes requested upgrades to United PolarisSM business class or United Polaris first class, and none of the international premium segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay. When applicable, these refunds will occur automatically seven to 10 days after travel.
The uncertainty on PS (previously considered BF) segments appears to have been address, as PS flights are not considered Polaris flights

Archive: UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded) {Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Miles + $ CoPay Upgrade (refunded if no Polaris segments are upgraded)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Moderators please feel free to move if this isn't the right spot.

Question: is it still UA policy that if you get upgraded using miles on only 1 of 2 segments you waitlisted for, that it's considered a "used" upgrade?

I'd like to use 22k miles to upgrade SBA-SFO-OGG. I feel the SBA-SFO leg will clear for sure but don't want to use my miles if it's only for that short segment. I recall the solution is to call in and have them apply it for the longer SFO-OGG leg only?

TIA!
- Tom
Yes they will consider it an upgrade if only the short segment clears. And yes you can request only the long segment. Also, if you want to wait a bit and see if it clears (all segs) you can refuse the short segment upgrade even at the gate if it looks like the long seg won't clear.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tstauck
Moderators please feel free to move if this isn't the right spot.

Question: is it still UA policy that if you get upgraded using miles on only 1 of 2 segments you waitlisted for, that it's considered a "used" upgrade?

I'd like to use 22k miles to upgrade SBA-SFO-OGG. I feel the SBA-SFO leg will clear for sure but don't want to use my miles if it's only for that short segment. I recall the solution is to call in and have them apply it for the longer SFO-OGG leg only?

TIA!
- Tom
Correct to both your questions. You should also be able to select only the SFO-OGG leg when you apply the miles upgrade online.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dkc192
Correct to both your questions. You should also be able to select only the SFO-OGG leg when you apply the miles upgrade online.
Thank you!
Old May 30, 2022, 8:16 pm

Question If only one leg gets upgraded

Rookie here. Flying DEL - ORD - CLE. I have an upgrade option using 25K United miles for Polaris Business class. It is very likely the ORD - CLE will get upgraded (45-minute flight). If the DEL - ORD (international segment) doesn't get upgraded to Polaris class - United will refund my miles, right? Even if the last segment (ORD - CLE) gets upgraded - which i dont care about.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, for international flights, if one doesn't get upgraded to Polaris class, United will refund your miles, and any already-cleared domestic upgrade will be retained.

This does not apply if both boldface criteria are not satisfied.
Old May 31, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Yes, for international flights, if one doesn't get upgraded to Polaris class, United will refund your miles, and any already-cleared domestic upgrade will be retained.

I was never actually upgraded for either segment, yet they have awarded me the PQP for the upgrade. How long should I wait for the upgrade to refund?
Old May 31, 2022, 9:22 am

Thank you!
Old May 31, 2022, 1:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

As there are no Polaris marketed ('class") flights that are not international, the international is not an additional qualifier.

The key issue is now the ticket is marketed. If marketed as Polaris "class", then the refund policy apply. If marketed as FIrst, Business or International Business, the policy does not apply. Being a lie flat seat (either polaris seat or the older styles) is not a factor, it is all how the ticket is marketed.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, N104UA and 2 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2022 at 2:51 pm Reason: qualifier vs restrictiom
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:18 am

Are upgrades (miles + copay) on multi segment itineraries for PS flights treated like Polaris upgrades? Ie if SFO-EWR doesn’t clear but the next segment EWR-BOS does clear, you get a refund?
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by LouieBOS
Are upgrades (miles + copay) on multi segment itineraries for PS flights treated like Polaris upgrades? Ie if SFO-EWR doesn’t clear but the next segment EWR-BOS does clear, you get a refund?
No if any segment of a mileage upgrade award is upgraded, then it is considered used. The only exception is if you only clear the non-Polaris segments when waitlisting on a Polaris marketed segment. As has been indicated above, Polaris marketing is not offered on any domestic flights. PS(Premium select? presuming you mean Premium Plus, as PS is Delta's product) and premium transcontinental business routings are not marketed as Polaris so they would not qualify for the exception.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Aug 19, 2022 at 12:48 am
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Policy is no , Premium Transcons are not Polaris marketed
if your travel includes requested upgrades to United Polaris® business class and none of the segments are upgraded, then your MileagePlus Upgrade Award will not be considered used, even if you are upgraded to United First® or United Business® on another segment. In these instances, we will fully redeposit your miles and co-pay.
Note, it may still be worth giving a call as some have been successful with ultra-short connecting flights that clear but the transcon did not.. YMMV
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Policy is no , Premium Transcons are not Polaris marketed

Note, it may still be worth giving a call as some have been successful with ultra-short connecting flights that clear but the transcon did not.. YMMV
I’d have to say that 20k miles +$250 (Premium Service upgrade) for a EWR-BOS upgrade is most certainly a ripoff and UA knows that.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I’d have to say that 20k miles +$250 (Premium Service upgrade) for a EWR-BOS upgrade is most certainly a ripoff and UA knows that.
Which is why one should only apply for the upgrade on the longer (desired) segment, especially on an itinerary like BOS-EWR-SFO.
SPN Lifer and tstauck like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:19 pm

At a min, if you can not get a total refund (YMMV), UA should refund the Premium Transcon (has not been called PS for years) copay, as that was undelivered. The mileage is the same for the short leg or the transcon
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:18 pm

UA upgrade waitinglist question

I saw a similar thread, but no definite answer that I can understand

I bought a ticket premium economy, united, SEA -> SFO -> PVG

I saw an upgrade waitlist opportunity for $450 dollars + 35K miles, that would upgrade the entire trip from premium economy to business

I did, and the united promptly charged that money to my credit card and deducted my mileage

Now, I got confirmed upgrade for the SEA->SFO, but is 9th place in the waitlist for the SFO->PVG

I really don't care about seating for the first leg. If the second leg upgrade fails, would I get the entire expenses ($450 + 35K miles) back automatically? What happens to the first leg upgrade? Would united automatically put me back in economy plus? Or do I keep the upgrade? (that doesn't make sense as I would be getting a free upgrade from SEA->SFO?)

Different agent are giving me different wild answers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.