Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How to upgrade a partner flight using UA MileagePlus miles:

See UA's Star Alliance Upgrade Awards Page

Key points:
  • Only a few fare classes (and expensive) are eligible -- depends on the carrier (see the UA page)
  • Needs to be native flight numbers, codeshares are not eligible
  • Generally no waitlisting but ANA allows waitlisting
  • Most can be requested after ticketing (NH/ANA & ET cannot be requested earlier than 8 weeks to departure -- still true??) and must be done at least 24 hours prior to departure
  • Max of 4 passengers can be upgraded
  • Generally the available of award space is a good indicator of upgrade space (but not guaranteed) - typically requires (I) inventory
  • Upgrade request can only be made electronically
  • Upgrade requests are per segment
  • It may increase your chance of success to request only one segment at a time on the upgrade page, even though it allows you to enter two (YMMV).
  • For mileage requirements, see Interactive travel destinations awards chart
As a general rule, with exceptions, SAUA need I space (for the partner) to have a chance of clearing.

See this thread for the no-longer-available award chart (disappeared from united.com as of October 2018): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-website.html

Error codes
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 110).
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 118)"
  • "The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)"
  • "Upgrade not available (Error code: 511)."
  • "The number of travelers indicated does not match the number of passengers in the reservation. Please correct your information and try again. (Error code: 528)"
  • "insufficient MileagePlus Balance (Error code: 2001)"
Mileage required? Capturing here the last known information, as information is disappearing, no guarantees how long this will be true

For UA operated flights see Using Miles to Upgrade on United

Archive; How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 10:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goduke7
Talked to UA yesterday about a Copa flight- they indicated SA upgrades are only available when Saver Award space is available... can anyone verify?
To start with, saver award is principally an UA concept, not a *A concept. Other cariers do not have a two-tier award pricing structure, although many restrict partner available different from their program members.

However, for most *A carrier, upgrades come from I inventory , the same inventory as business awards. I space is a good indicator for upgrades but not guaranteed (may be addition, hidden requirements). No I space is not a good indicator for upgrades.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
AC SAUA - 15 minute error

Hey all,

I am trying to use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award for a B class ticket from DXB-YYZ on AC. Is there any period of time I need to wait for after booking in order to use the upgrade? I keep getting the "Try again in 15 minutes error" (and yes, I have waited patiently multiple times) - has anyone had any success by contacting UA Customer Service? Only 4/30 seats occupied so really hoping to utilize the upgrade for a 14 hour flight :P its a 014 ticket booked with AC, classified as multi-city
Old May 9, 2022, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To start with, saver award is principally an UA concept, not a *A concept. Other cariers do not have a two-tier award pricing structure, although many restrict partner available different from their program members.

However, for most *A carrier, upgrades come from I inventory , the same inventory as business awards. I space is a good indicator for upgrades but not guaranteed (may be addition, hidden requirements). No I space is not a good indicator for upgrades.
When I used UA miles to upgrade NH from J to F, the flight was O0 (I could not book a seat with points in F), but the SAUA went through immediately. So it can also work the opposite way.
cfischer likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by paine445
Hey all,

I am trying to use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award for a B class ticket from DXB-YYZ on AC. Is there any period of time I need to wait for after booking in order to use the upgrade? I keep getting the "Try again in 15 minutes error" (and yes, I have waited patiently multiple times) - has anyone had any success by contacting UA Customer Service? Only 4/30 seats occupied so really hoping to utilize the upgrade for a 14 hour flight :P its a 014 ticket booked with AC, classified as multi-city
Called 1K Line - agent wasn't sure what to do since 014 stock and has me on hold with AC customer service... figured that won't get me anywhere? HUACA time I suppose.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I am trying to use a Star Alliance Upgrade Award for a B class ticket from DXB-YYZ on AC.
I didn't think AC participated in the *A Upgrade program. Or is that just for using Aeroplan miles?
Old May 9, 2022, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I didn't think AC participated in the *A Upgrade program. Or is that just for using Aeroplan miles?
From what I understand, the AC flight is fine, Aeroplan does not participate anymore (according to AC Phone Line). I am trying to use UA Miles for an SAUA on an AC ticket. Have done it before just fine (there was no space, but at least the system told me that) with an AC ticket/plane - my assumption is that it is a UA system related issue?
Old May 11, 2022, 1:48 pm

Hey all,

I'm getting the same error on an AC 014 ticket for an ANA flight I want to upgrade. I've been getting that error for months (trying weekly at random). I've got it to work before, but I don't know if that's because I only had 1 pax on the ticket (now I have 2), or because I've upgraded my AC flights. UA customer service was pretty useless, web support was slightly better, but the agent thought it was just an error due to weekend IT work - spoiler alert it's still broken.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zappy312
...UA customer service was pretty useless, web support was slightly better, but the agent thought it was just an error due to weekend IT work - spoiler alert it's still broken.
The partner upgrade process / software is maintain by the *A IT team, not the UA IT team. Because the process interfaces with multiple carriers' IT system is is prone to breakage and slow to be repaired. The UA CS team can not manually process the request and ther than report the issue to *A HQs, there is little they can do.

Note You have a AC ticket using UA miles to upgrade a NH flight --- that just hurts the brain to think about how many ways that can fail.
zappy312 likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:22 am

Programs: UA Plat
My ANA segment ended up not clearing off the waitlist. At T-24 hours the waitlist disappeared and I got my points back to my United account. What's frustrating is that at the gate, the ANA agent said there are 3 seats available still for an upgrade. However I am unable to use my United miles to upgrade since I am within 24 hours of the flight.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:41 am

Turkish upgrade using UA

Hi,

I have HYD - DEL - IST - IAH booked with Turkish. The fare class is W-H-H. I have been trying to upgrade the last segment (IST-IAH) to business for the last two days with no success. I see the following error on the United Star Alliance Upgrade Awards website after I input all my info.

'''
We cannot process your request.
Upgrade not available
'''

However, When I search for a business class award ticket in Turkish, I see there is a ticket available. I confirmed the same on EF for F availability. When I called United, they said that upgrades can only be requested online and they can't do anything. Any advice on how to proceed?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I believe doing a *A upgrade award on TK using partner airline miles requires I class availability, not F.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
I believe doing a *A upgrade award on TK using partner airline miles requires I class availability, not F.
Yup, it was "I" class. Still getting the same error. Anything I can do or any one I should call?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdbck
Yup, it was "I" class. Still getting the same error. Anything I can do or any one I should call?
Short answer , keep trying, it may eventually be addressed (if a legitimate request)

The tool is not a UA tool but rather a *A tool. It goes broken at times and can take some time to get repaired.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist | IHG Platinum | HH Gold | MB Gold
I have a flight from YUL to FRA / AC844. My ticket is Premium Economy - Flexible (O) issued by Air Canada. I want to upgrade to Business using United miles. I am unable to search the availability using the "Request Upgrade" page as it shows error for insufficient miles. I called united support. They were not of much help. Is there a way to find the availability before I transfer the miles?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by pichalite
I have a flight from YUL to FRA / AC844. My ticket is Premium Economy - Flexible (O) issued by Air Canada. I want to upgrade to Business using United miles. I am unable to search the availability using the "Request Upgrade" page as it shows error for insufficient miles. I called united support. They were not of much help. Is there a way to find the availability before I transfer the miles?
The *A upgrades are different from the normal UA upgrades and UA has no direct information on availablity The availability of a I / Business Class award inventory for a partner flight gives a strong indication but there is not guarantee way to determine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.