Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE

Hello! I just received my EXP match and you should all consider details I have realized and stated below!

- No way to view Upgrade Inventory ahead of time.
- Same day confirmed starts at 12 hours, not 24 hours and IS NOT FREE! $75 for all! Stand by is FREE (you know you will not get upgraded)[/U][/U]
- You must hit 100K from today's date to end of year.
- I know we hate SHARES and AA can work their system well, but it still takes a VERY long time to ticket. Much longer than SHARES. MUCH longer!
- You must pay for companion upgrades (Not a big deal for me since I fly alone but the one trip with a companion, she cleared all 4 legs with me at window!
- Possible AA/US Merger..Ahhhhh!!!!

What do you all think????? Most 1Ks may not be able to hit another 100K! you could end up at the bottom of both!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why'd you get the match if you think it's so horrible?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why'd you get the match if you think it's so horrible?
Did not say it is horrible... just wanted to state some differences I found to be quite different that I did not realize until I switched and started reading up on rules and policies. I switched but have not booked travel yet. I am in decision mode!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UA PremExec
I would add to the list that UA international business class seats are far superior (at least until AA updates its seats).
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: VAG
I think a "random things to be aware of re: AA status" is a good idea for a thread.

"United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the United Clubs and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight."

vs

"American Airlines AAdvantage® members, regardless of their tier status, cannot access lounges when travelling on North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean."

Bad news for anyone who travels to Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I thought AA's upgrade inventory comes out of A class (discounted paid F)...which can easily be viewed in ExpertFlyer and other sites where normal inventory is displayed. I'm no expert on AA, but I think read that in lucky9876coins One Mile at a Time blog.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

So you expect to have lounge access when you're flying Miami to Aruba based on your status vs membership?

Of course you can access lounges when traveling domestically or to Canada/Caribbean- you just have to be a lounge MEMBER. How is this different from anyone else?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aero0729
Hello! I just received my EXP match and you should all consider details I have realized and stated below!

- Same day confirmed starts at 12 hours, not 24 hours and IS NOT FREE! $75 for all! Stand by is FREE (you know you will not get upgraded)[/U][/U]
- I know we hate SHARES and AA can work their system well, but it still takes a VERY long time to ticket. Much longer than SHARES. MUCH longer!
- You must pay for companion upgrades (Not a big deal for me since I fly alone but the one trip with a companion, she cleared all 4 legs with me at window!

What do you all think????? Most 1Ks may not be able to hit another 100K! you could end up at the bottom of both!
Point 1 and 2 are really non-issues.

A (domestic SWU and domestic mileage upgrades) inventory is easily visible with KVSTool or Expertflyer. X inventory (domestic EXP upgrades) isn't visible at all, I believe. C inventory (intl SWU upgrades) is visible on EF. What else do you need?

And on SDCs I actually find AA's SDC process to be FAR better than UAs given that you are FAR more likely to sit upfront. And the fee if I am not mistaken is $50 for EXPs.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by UAkls
I would add to the list that UA international business class seats are far superior (at least until AA updates its seats).
I'd also like to add that UA doesn't have 200 S80s either.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:57 am

On AA I don't need to constantly monitor inventory because there's actual transparency with upgrades. When A or X opens up I clear- imagine that.

Oh, and if I want to use a SWU/evip or miles+copay, its deducted ONLY when the upgrade clears. Imagine that too!

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Originally Posted by UAkls
I'd also like to add that UA doesn't have 200 S80s either.
Yes, a guaranteed aircraft with16 F seats wifi and a quiet F cabin is so unappealing.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:50 am Reason: merge/edit
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

Regarding upgrades, remember without an EUA system, there is often upgrade space last minute on flights. So standing by, then getting an upgrade is not unreasonable. UA used to work this way until a couple years ago -- you could switch flights and confirm right into F because it would be open.

As for ticketing, I think the issue is not as much the delay as it is the reliability. CO's systems can ticket in 5 minutes, 10 minute, an hour, 3 hours, a day, or never. If they consistently ticketed in a specified time period, this would be less of an issue. The problem is that it's illogical, and when you do have an issue (e.g., hasn't ticketed in a day), it's difficult to get someone to force it.

So the fact that some never ticket, and there are ramifications to that (especially with partner space where you could lose it), you have to babysit the ticketing process. While AA does not use instant ticketing, you don't really see posts on the AA board about things falling out of a ticketing queue and award space disappearing as a result.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
A few things:
You must hit 100K from today's date to end of year.
A. AA does soft landings so that makes it a moot point. It should be expected by all that when matched, your status only lasts until the next year (2013 and not thru 2013 into 2014). Worse case is: You get dumped to Plat next year from EXP and have to earn your status (just like you would on UA)
B. We've got 7 months left and with DEQM promotions going, it helps make this less of an issue.

It's also worth noting that AA is adding their version of E+. For those low to Mid tier elites (Silver, Gold and Plat) that were screwed by UA by the reduction in mileage earning and the loss of E+ prior to the day of flight), this will solve most of those issues. AA exit rows are a fine substitute for E+ in the meantime.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by demkr

Yes, a guaranteed aircraft with16 F seats wifi and a quiet F cabin is so unappealing.
I don't think many S80s have wi-fi and either way there is no IFE or E+. In addition they are old so they tend to break down a lot.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:27 am

Many of them if not most do. Read the wifi page. And I've had very few maintenance delays on M80s.

AA is in the process of retiring the plane too. The new 737s are beautiful

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:50 am Reason: merge/edit
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA

ExpertFlyer shows upgrade space for miles/SWUs (A or C) at all times, and domestic upgrades (X and/or R) 24 hours before the flight.
- Same day confirmed starts at 12 hours, not 24 hours and IS NOT FREE! $75 for all! Stand by is FREE (you know you will not get upgraded)
SDC is $50 was changed from $50 to $75 this year (unannounced, AFAIK ), but you are correct that it is within 12 hours. You can clear an upgrade immediately after the confirmed change. For standby, GAs are supposed to clear all confirmed passenger upgrades before clearing upgrades for standbys. But this still leaves two ways to receive upgrades: 1) F is not full after all confirmed pax upgrades were processed - this is more common that you might think, since plats/golds must use upgrade instruments instead of free upgrades or 2)The TA/GA/Admirals Club agent clears your standby ticket before upgrades are processed (this usually happens when there are enough seats that your standby will clearly succeed). I have frequently received upgrades when I go standby.
See below.
My tickets usually issue within 15 minutes, and if there are any snags, the EXP desk is wonderful at resolving issues immediately.
Yup these two are annoying!!

With all of the double EQM promos this year, it's probably easier than you think... Worst case, you will receive a 'soft landing' to platinum status, so you would have Plat status from March 2013 (when EXP status ends) until you hit 100k in 2013.

Have fun with it. Yes, things will be different; some things will be worse, some will be better, but most EXPs are really happy with their elite experience with AA.

Last edited by janetdoe; Apr 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.