Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Explorer Card: Award Ticket CPU For Sponsored PAX. Is This Fair?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

The only benefit of the Explorer Card for an elite IMO is the ability to upgrade an award ticket. This privilege was reserved for only GS's in PMUA.

Did you know that if you (as an Explorer Card holder) do not supply a MP # to the reservation of a sponsored pax on an award ticket, and R space is available during the CPU window for your respective elite level, the pax will be upgraded? And you (the sponsor) don't need to be on the same flight! Does this seem fair? In other words, a non status passenger that I (a 1K) purchase an award ticket for would be upgraded ahead of a Platinum.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Apr 28, 2012 at 11:19 am
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
This is surely an artifact of the passenger inheriting the status of the account from which the miles are drawn, so it doesn't surprise me.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
The only benefit of the Explorer Card for an elite IMO is the ability to upgrade an award ticket. This privilege was reserved for only GS's in PMUA.

Did you know that if you (as an Explorer Card holder) do not supply a MP # to the reservation of a sponsored pax on an award ticket, and R space is available during the CPU window for your respective elite level, the pax will be upgraded? And you (the sponsor) don't need to be on the same flight! Does this seem fair? In other words, a non status passenger that I (a 1K) purchase an award ticket for would be upgraded ahead of a Platinum.
This is interesting to know. My wife and I just came back from Maui. On the outbound/return, I broke our itineraries. While I was upgraded, but my wife was not (although guess who sat in coach).

So if this is correct, I shouldn't have placed my wife's MP # (she's a 1k based on my status) on her reservation and she would have been upgraded?

I recall reading someplace (PMCO forum?) that if 2 passengers are on an award reservation, only the primary member would be eligible for an upgrade.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PBAudit
This is interesting to know. My wife and I just came back from Maui. On the outbound/return, I broke our itineraries. While I was upgraded, but my wife was not (although guess who sat in coach).

So if this is correct, I shouldn't have placed my wife's MP # (she's a 1k based on my status) on her reservation and she would have been upgraded?

I recall reading someplace (PMCO forum?) that if 2 passengers are on an award reservation, only the primary member would be eligible for an upgrade.
You just need to book on separate records and the miles for the award ticket need to come from the higher status passenger.

My wife is also a 1K. We each have the explorer card and can upgrade from each of our separate mileage accounts.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Jul 4, 2012 at 9:36 pm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
So do GS passengers get CPU'd at 120 hours on award tickets regardless of whether or not they are Chase cardmembers?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
So do GS passengers get CPU'd at 120 hours on award tickets regardless of whether or not they are Chase cardmembers?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.