Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye, United.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by boss315
It was clearly obvious that after 33 years with UA, 1.5 MM bis, they just don't give a rip about anyone or anything..sad, so very sad!
I'm surprised you hung in there after the devaluation of million miler benefits. The writing was on the wall for me and I bailed back then.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Any savvy company would make you an offer like - "sorry to hear that - do 20 flights in 60 days and we'll comp you back for a year" etc.
I think the savvy company here is AA who offered an EXP challenge. That was unheard of until they started offering it to 1K flyers in 2012. Must be getting a good return to still have it on the table.

Tom in smoke-covered Reno tonight
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by boss315
Have finished my AA EXP challenge after finishing my 1K for 2015 on UA. I wrote a long, detailed, very specific letter with examples to UA about the reasons I am leaving UA...wrote to Smisek and asked that he read it..it was factual and dealt with things such as RPU/GPU/CPU, food, grumpy staff, MX's etc. in a very concise and factual way and how they have affected me. Was not emotional--just factual..won't
bore everyone with the letter...PM me if you want to read it.

Just got the reply..a month later from some executive asst.....and it addressed NO specifics that I had referenced...just generalities...three pages of general BS.

It was clearly obvious that after 33 years with UA, 1.5 MM bis, they just don't give a rip about anyone or anything..sad, so very sad! But you all can have my RPU/GPU/CPU space and the TATL past with rabbit turd meatballs...enjoy!

I'm not bitter
Or you are finally realizing you aren't that important to any airline. Most frequent flyers figure this out early, but it seems like FT attracts those who don't.

I don't think they would miss me for a second if I stopped flying tomorrow, in the sea of revenue management that IS the airline business, I am but a drop of lime juice.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I don't think they would miss me for a second if I stopped flying tomorrow, in the sea of revenue management that IS the airline business, I am but a drop of lime juice.
We are all drops of lime juice. But after awhile, you lose enough drops and you're talking about a noticeable amount. And the current management's response? Contract the airline further, and watch the competition grow.

An odd strategy.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL
Originally Posted by halls120
We are all drops of lime juice. But after awhile, you lose enough drops and you're talking about a noticeable amount. And the current management's response? Contract the airline further, and watch the competition grow.

An odd strategy.
Meh. UA may not have a market leading strategy, but consolidation has pretty much guaranteed that UA will get a decent slice of the pie no matter what so i don't see much changing under current mgmt. Only question now seems to be whether those who aren't happy want to remain one of the ingredients in UA's pie.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Got status matched to Delta after requalifying for 1k and started flying with them this month... Both FF programs are very similar and Delta simply offers the best flying experience right now for me... United simply is not competitive anymore and they have done nothing to keep my business...

I enjoyed my time flying with UA, but I can not stand all the gutting done by the management team.

Goodbye United
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
How are you doing on upgrades at Delta?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
Got status matched to Delta after requalifying for 1k and started flying with them this month... Both FF programs are very similar and Delta simply offers the best flying experience right now for me... United simply is not competitive anymore and they have done nothing to keep my business...

I enjoyed my time flying with UA, but I can not stand all the gutting done by the management team.

Goodbye United
Status matched from UA 1K to what DL elite level?

Pure match? Not a challenge?

Good luck!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
How are you doing on upgrades at Delta?
So far 4/4 and on SJO routes 2/2, with United this year I was below 50% even with instruments in and out of SJO. Most of this upgrades are clearing 5 days before flight. Something that didn't happen at all with UA this year.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Status matched from UA 1K to what DL elite level?

Pure match? Not a challenge?

Good luck!
Got matched to Platinum and a challenge of 18,750 MQM or 25 MQS within 90 days, will pass do that by the end of October.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:39 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by tom911
I think the savvy company here is AA who offered an EXP challenge. That was unheard of until they started offering it to 1K flyers in 2012. Must be getting a good return to still have it on the table.
Yep. I took it and AA has enjoyed the $40K+ revenue from me so far for 118 segments, 140K+ miles, and 139K points for far this year.

In return, I have enjoyed a 97% upgrade rate, all mainline aircraft, 8 SWUs, and a business class seat that rocks. Only two minor delays snafus in 118 flights so far.

Compared to flying UAX everywhere domestic and UAL's crappy J product, it's a day and night comparison after a million UA miles.

I doubt I'll ever fly UA again till they turn around on service and drop the 75%+ outsourcing to UAX.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Can someone plz send me where I can status match to EXP?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:29 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
CashN, see this thread and note the more recent replies:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
Yep. I took it and AA has enjoyed the $40K+ revenue from me so far for 118 segments, 140K+ miles, and 139K points for far this year.

In return, I have enjoyed a 97% upgrade rate, all mainline aircraft, 8 SWUs, and a business class seat that rocks. Only two minor delays snafus in 118 flights so far.

Compared to flying UAX everywhere domestic and UAL's crappy J product, it's a day and night comparison after a million UA miles.

I doubt I'll ever fly UA again till they turn around on service and drop the 75%+ outsourcing to UAX.
Sounds like you made the right decision! I think AUS is one of those either / or towns where depending upon your destinations, you could make AA or UA work. And if AA is mainline ex-AUS primarily, that makes it even a stronger case in their favor.

One quick question: When you contrast AA's J seat and UA's J seat, what are you referring to?

I have not experienced it (internationally on AA), but my understanding is that AA new J > UA current J > AA's old angled J. Problem being that there is just not enough of AA's new J in service yet, while truly lie flat on UA J is ubiquitous.

Or are you referring to domestic F AA vs. UA?

Thanks, and good luck!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer

All "meaningless" drops of lime juice like that make for a VERY tasty SUPER SIZED Marguerita to AA I suspect.

Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Sounds like you made the right decision! I think AUS is one of those either / or towns where depending upon your destinations, you could make AA or UA work. And if AA is mainline ex-AUS primarily, that makes it even a stronger case in their favor.

One quick question: When you contrast AA's J seat and UA's J seat, what are you referring to?

I have not experienced it (internationally on AA), but my understanding is that AA new J > UA current J > AA's old angled J. Problem being that there is just not enough of AA's new J in service yet, while truly lie flat on UA J is ubiquitous.

Or are you referring to domestic F AA vs. UA?

Thanks, and good luck!
The OP will answer for him-/herself, but I took their post to refer to the entire product, hard and soft. I find AA's soft product in J to be superior, mostly because the food options are more interesting and less... frumpy. And I actually prefer AA's old C seat to the pmUA C seats, which are better for sleeping, but only good for that. The AA seat has plenty of room and thoughtfully designed storage spaces and trays. I find it impossible to do any work in a pmUA C seat - you can't plug in your laptop without knocking over your neighbour's drink, and even if you figure out what to do with your elbows whilst typing, working with your laptop and some documents at the same time is out of the question.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt

A river is made drop by drop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.