P.S. Upgrade worth it for Redeye?

Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Emerald Club Elite Exec
P.S. Upgrade worth it for Redeye?

Made last min booking SFO to JFK next Thursday night on the 10:22pm Flight landing at 6:58am.

Is it worth it to spend the upgrade to move up to business? I know the seats are a bit better but I honestly can sleep in Y just fine. Is breakfast or anything else offered on this flight to make it worth wild?

Thanks
Json
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

A scone will be offered prior to arrival in the morning. Just out of curiosity, how much are they offering for your upgrade and what was your booking class?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
I think so

Kudos to you if you sleep fine in Y. That's a skill I'd like to acquire. I avoid redeyes where possible.

The seats in business (while not lie flat...yet) are much, much more comfortable, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what the "spend" is, so I can't say if it's worth it. It's definitely worth an RPU.

The breakfast isn't that great. I would not do it just for that.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
If your short on RPU's I would hold off. The best of the PS is the Lunch or Dinner Service and of course Row 9. I have taken Morning and Evening Snack Flights and was underwhelmed. Just the seat. As the lights are off and service is very slim at best..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

A scone will be offered prior to arrival in the morning. Just out of curiosity, how much are they offering for your upgrade and what was your booking class?

A scone. Is this new?

Red eye flights are a time saver. Its only tolerable on p.s, which is the only airline with a sleeper seat (in F) on this route

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
If your short on RPU's I would hold off. The best of the PS is the Lunch or Dinner Service and of course Row 9. I have taken Morning and Evening Snack Flights and we underwhelmed. Just the seat. As the lights are off and service is very slim at best..
By the way, the evening snack fight is now history. United now serves a full dinner service on the 8PM flights out of JFK, similar to DL and AA.

This took effect this month.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by jsonman
Made last min booking SFO to JFK next Thursday night on the 10:22pm Flight landing at 6:58am.

Is it worth it to spend the upgrade to move up to business? I know the seats are a bit better but I honestly can sleep in Y just fine. Is breakfast or anything else offered on this flight to make it worth wild?

Thanks
Json
I fly SFO-JFK p.s. fairly often and have taken the redeye a couple of times, most recently 3 weeks ago.

I can't sleep in Y or regular domestic F, so I upgrade on this route. However, if you can sleep in Y it makes no sense to upgrade.

Here was my recent experience on the redeye:
-We board approximately on time. My "legroom" in 9D amazes me even though I've been in that seat several times before.
-After flight is fully loaded, we're delayed about 70 minutes leaving gate, due to luggage unloading/loading (rare lightning at SFO meant baggage handlers had to stay inside).
-During gate delay, FAs hand out water bottles, and eyeshades. Then they disappear. No pre-departure drinks.
-Once it's safe to move about cabin, FAs bring by video players, and an utterly horrible late night snack (pasta I think).
-My ambien kicks in
-I awaken on descent to JFK. Maybe they served some sort of breakfast but I missed it.

For me, that is well worth a RPU, but only because of the sleep benefits.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
IME, PS is the best value miles or RPU's.

I know the seats are a bit better but I honestly can sleep in Y just fine.
Also, IMhO PS C seats are not a "bit" better, it is night and day compared to PS Y (granted, they are the "old" C seats).
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gregas
Kudos to you if you sleep fine in Y. That's a skill I'd like to acquire.
^
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Emerald Club Elite Exec
Kudos to you if you sleep fine in Y. That's a skill I'd like to acquire. I avoid redeyes where possible.
Trust me mainline Y is not that bad considering I now get stuck on a weekly CRJ 200 and if I don't have a seat mate can catch around an hour of sleep.

Booked into E and don't fly international so was going to burn 1 of my GPU's. Also had option of 15,000 miles with no copay that looked tempting but sitting on 5 GPU's that will more than likely waste
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Based on the food offerings compared to other flights (extremely bare bones) I wouldn't do it.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I know the seats are a bit better but I honestly can sleep in Y just fine. Is breakfast or anything else offered on this flight to make it worth wild?
I find Ambien works just as well for me in Y as in domestic F, so I skip the upgrade. Even if there were a great breakfast, I'd need the time to sleep because the ~5 hours in the air just isn't quite enough.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
I redeye every week and wish I had the option for a seat like p.s. C. I also can and do sleep in economy when I have to, so I'd just say this

- p.s. C is a huge upgrade from economy, compared to domestic F. That's also a 2,500 mile flight. probably the best use of a RPU or miles that I can think of

- if you're really just gonna zonk out the entire time and are short on RPUs or miles, maybe hold them and suck it up in economy

- what are you doing when you land? if it was me, i would attempt to upgrade no matter what, but if you're just gonna go crash for a few hours after the flight i could see saving the RPU/miles. if you have to work a full day afterwards, the more comfortable sleep and especially leg rests make a huge difference, IMO
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
+1

The seats in business (while not lie flat...yet) are much, much more comfortable, in my opinion.
In terms of old C seats on US carriers, the p.s. ones are pretty darn comfortable

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
IME, PS is the best value miles or RPU's.

Also, IMhO PS C seats are not a "bit" better, it is night and day compared to PS Y (granted, they are the "old" C seats).
Agreed, and since the pitch is 34", not 36", they are really more like E (.6+)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Add me to the list of those who commend you for being able to sleep well in Y. Especially with UA's crappy seats (even worse, of course, are the PMCO seats). If they had Air Canada's seats, I'd consider it.

Also, the p.s. C seat is really quite nice. Its basically a slightly narrower version of the old C seat, which is ridiculously comfortable.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond

FYI, I've been waitlisted on an RPU on that flight for weeks, so even if you go for it, the chances aren't good it'll clear.

Would be nice to meet you there, though.

ETA: fwiw: F5 A0 J5 C0 D0 Z0 P0 Y3 B2 M1 E0 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0

Last edited by deirdre; Apr 20, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.