P.S. Upgrade worth it for Redeye?

Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Red eye flights are a time saver. Its only tolerable on p.s, which is the only airline with a sleeper seat (in F) on this route
What do you mean by sleeper seat?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Beerman92
What do you mean by sleeper seat?
PS F seat converts to 180 deg seat -- not quite lay flat but close.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
PS F seat converts to 180 deg seat -- not quite lay flat but close.
I've slept better on DL and VX seats than ps F seats. Hence my question. Also doesn't AA call their F on sfo-jfk transcon a "sleeper seat"?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: *G, UA Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
If your short on RPU's I would hold off. The best of the PS is the Lunch or Dinner Service and of course Row 9. I have taken Morning and Evening Snack Flights and was underwhelmed. Just the seat. As the lights are off and service is very slim at best..
6D is better than row 9, IMO. Been in both a bunch and I like the privacy of 6...

I would do the upgrade every time, but I have RPUs to burn
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:29 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Ag
Exactly

Originally Posted by Yobz
6D is better than row 9, IMO. Been in both a bunch and I like the privacy of 6...

I would do the upgrade every time, but I have RPUs to burn
Not too many folks think this way around here.

Oh yeah, and upgrade every PS flight, period.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler; EVA Air Gold; SPG Gold; HHonor Gold;
I fly LAX/JFK in C at least once a month and, yes, 6D has been my most favorite seat.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I've slept better on DL and VX seats than ps F seats. Hence my question. Also doesn't AA call their F on sfo-jfk transcon a "sleeper seat"?
There's no standardized definition of a sleeper seat. You could argue that DL J, VX J, AA J and UA J are also sleeper seats. They all offer deep recline and legrests. They're comfortable to sleep on your back in, but not particularly comfortable for side sleepers.

The UA F seat is an angled flat seat. I don't know if it's actually 180 degrees (but angled to the floor), as I haven't been on it, and many of these types of seats are actually 170-175 degrees between seat cushion and seat back (and the legrest sometimes angles down too). These types of seats are usually comfortable for side and even front sleepers (I actually find them more comfortable on my side or front than on my back).

The AA F seat is structured like a traditional recliner seat, although the recline is deeper than the other J seats mentioned above, probably 170 degrees. It's 62" of pitch, compared to DL and VX at 55", AA J at 50" and UA J at 54". Obviously more pitch enables deeper recline. The AA F seat is comfortable for back or side sleeping, not front. (And as an aside the AA F seat is the same seat they used to use as fully flat beds in international first class but went into storage when they pulled F off their 767-300s. They now have less pitch, don't recline all the way, and don't have the privacy shell, but it's the same seat.)
Old Apr 21, 2012, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Worth it is relative

Worth it? If I had just enough miles or one cert to UG, I would do SFO-NRT over SFO-JFK if I couldn't afford to pay for C. So, only OP can make the "worth it" determination.

To me, I could care less about the food, it's comfort and on a red eye, flying in F/C makes all of the difference. I fly C on this route and will UG to F if it's avail. whatever the time of day. If you want something more substantial than UA offers, there's tons of good food at SFO to bring with you.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by jsonman
Made last min booking SFO to JFK next Thursday night on the 10:22pm Flight landing at 6:58am.

Is it worth it to spend the upgrade to move up to business? I know the seats are a bit better but I honestly can sleep in Y just fine. Is breakfast or anything else offered on this flight to make it worth wild?

Thanks
Json
Seat a "bit better"? I say a lot better! I like taking the red-eye LAX-JFK as I don't lose a day to travel, and because I can sleep in PS C. The seats aren't just a bit wider, they're like a La-z-boy recliner, and in row 9, there is unlimited legroom.

Also, and it's not much but since nobody else mentioned it, they pass out eye-shades and earplugs in PS C&F.

Last edited by Phil Level; Apr 21, 2012 at 10:46 pm
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM
I can't comment on PS biz, which I know is a lot more comfy than standard business, but I've found redeyes in coach and business to be equally uncomfy. I've fly LAX-BOS on a 757 both in coach and business, and not really felt a difference. Albeit I cannot sleep without laying down flat, so that probably has something to do with!

I'm planning on upgrading on a flight to LAX soon so I can enjoy the longer time spent on the plane and a proper meal; everything seems kind of rushed on a late night flight so everyone can get to sleep.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
I can't comment on PS biz, which I know is a lot more comfy than standard business, but I've found redeyes in coach and business to be equally uncomfy. I've fly LAX-BOS on a 757 both in coach and business, and not really felt a difference. Albeit I cannot sleep without laying down flat, so that probably has something to do with!

I'm planning on upgrading on a flight to LAX soon so I can enjoy the longer time spent on the plane and a proper meal; everything seems kind of rushed on a late night flight so everyone can get to sleep.
What carrier has C/J on the BOS-LAX route in a 757?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by Often1
What carrier has C/J on the BOS-LAX route in a 757?

This thread is about PS service JFK to and from LAX/SFO.

The BOS-LAX service is a different 757 config than the PS. Check seatguru.com for more info.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:56 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jsonman
Made last min booking SFO to JFK next Thursday night on the 10:22pm Flight landing at 6:58am.

Is it worth it to spend the upgrade to move up to business? I know the seats are a bit better but I honestly can sleep in Y just fine. Is breakfast or anything else offered on this flight to make it worth wild?

Thanks
Json
IMO:
YES YES YES.

Not for the food, but the seats are much better.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil Level
Also, and it's not much but since nobody else mentioned it, they pass out eye-shades and earplugs in PS C&F.
No, it's not much -- you can buy and bring your own for a few dollars.

Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Yes, I would imagine that there are not many people who cannot sleep in Y but can sleep in regular domestic F. If you can sleep sitting up, then F or Y won't make that much of a difference. If you can't sleep sitting up, then F or Y won't make that much of a difference, either. But the p.s. J seat offers deep recline and a legrest, and so it's a different ballgame. That said, you're still not lying down, and so there are still people who can't sleep in them (I'm a little iffy in a standard recliner unless it has very deep recline with about 60" of pitch).
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
PSc >>>>>PSy - 9A or 9D - I always fly in these seats - many years ago tried 6 behind the galley - but you have to climb over someone ot go to the loo - 5 is bad even though its an exit row - unless you like to smell the lavs or listen to the to-ing and fro-ing of the FAs
food is reasonable - ive done early morn, dayflights eve flights and red eyes on ps and they are all fairly good - except for a day flight LAX-JFK which went mechanical on 6 march 2012 and turned into a red eye arrriving at JFK approx 3am - however if u can sleep in Y why waste ur points/RPU? But then what are miles/RPU for?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.