Go Back   > > >

Old Apr 15, 12, 8:20 pm   #1
Original Poster

Location: Living near OKC, but my home and heart lie near MDT
Programs: UA
charge fees for transfer of miles?

Hello all,

It's been a long while (nearly 3 months) since I last logged in, so I might be a bit rusty on things with the 'new' UA, but I have a question.

Whose idea was it to charge $15 per 1k miles for miles transfer between members?

I ask since my dad (another UA member) and I were arranging a miles transfer and he came back in an email saying that the new United 'sucks' and that he wonders why he should have to pay for something that 1) was previously free to his recollection and 2) is something that can be done entirely online without any human interaction whatsoever.

Needless to say this has me a bit miffed as well, but I know enough to know that big companies don't like to make exceptions for things like this, so when did this start/change? (He and I are both GM, in case anyone makes suggestions which imply that we have, y'know, any 'status' in COUA.)

(EDIT: feel free to call me an idiot for either not using the search tool or for suggesting that this is a new feature of post-merger UA, if this has been around a while, I won't mind.)

Last edited by Thufir Hawat; Apr 15, 12 at 8:23 pm Reason: clarification
Thufir Hawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 12, 8:23 pm   #2
V9

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Pltm, Hyatt Diamond, spg Pltm
Transferring miles is never free.

The only exception in the industry is the spg points.
V9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 12, 8:51 pm   #3
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
For reference, transfering miles threads over the years referring to the costs

Transfering Miles as a 1K
Transfering miles between spouses
Should I transfer these miles?

transfer can be done entirely online but for a fee
WineCountryUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 12, 2:07 am   #4

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, *wood Life Gold, Marriott Life Gold, Hyatt Plat
You can book tickets for any person, so if you have enough in each account for something (e.g. book or upgrade one way out of each account), you can do it without transferring. "Transferring" is basically selling you the miles at half the normal price.

Note that booking an award trip as separate one ways means no free stopovers, and a larger fee if you change/cancel.
LAX UA 1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:37 pm   #5

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia, various others of little note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thufir Hawat View Post
Hello all,

It's been a long while (nearly 3 months) since I last logged in, so I might be a bit rusty on things with the 'new' UA, but I have a question.

Whose idea was it to charge $15 per 1k miles for miles transfer between members?

I ask since my dad (another UA member) and I were arranging a miles transfer and he came back in an email saying that the new United 'sucks' and that he wonders why he should have to pay for something that 1) was previously free to his recollection and 2) is something that can be done entirely online without any human interaction whatsoever.

Needless to say this has me a bit miffed as well, but I know enough to know that big companies don't like to make exceptions for things like this, so when did this start/change? (He and I are both GM, in case anyone makes suggestions which imply that we have, y'know, any 'status' in COUA.)

(EDIT: feel free to call me an idiot for either not using the search tool or for suggesting that this is a new feature of post-merger UA, if this has been around a while, I won't mind.)
As noted by others, it's almost universal that a fee is charged to transfer miles. Why do they do it? Because they can and it makes money. The ones I find really absurd are the charges that are basically as much as it costs to buy the miles, or as much as the miles are worth. Might as well save your miles and buy your friend/relative/etc a ticket.
Boghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:39 pm   #6
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by V9 View Post
The only exception in the industry is the spg points.
And HA miles.
cblaisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:56 pm   #7

Programs: MANY
There has always been a fee for transferring airline miles from one account to another.

Yes, it is expensive. The only time it would make sense is when only a (small) portion is needed to buy a ticket.

Options to get around include booking multiple one-way award. But then you lose stopover. Also it could be more expensive if travel schedule has to be changed down the road.
double_black77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 12, 1:58 pm   #8

Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada and Sacramento, CA, US; UA Explorer Elite
I was pleased to take advantage of this option recently, transferring 15000 miles from my GF's account to mine for $225. That allowed me to use those 15000 miles to match 50000 miles that I had to get a 65000-mile award from SFO to HKG and SIN for her. With taxes of $95, this meant that we acquired this ticket for $315 rather than $1600.
Reindeerflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 12, 9:20 pm   #9

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Mileage Plus Transfer

New to frequent traveling/Mileage Plus (4 months) and recently bought a couple of tickets for my girlfriend on United. Was surprised to see you are charged $15 per 1,000 miles if I wanted to transfer her miles to me.

Are there any ways around this (such as transferring to another program)? Would like to get the miles as she won't travel enough to redeem on her own.
cbev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 12, 9:24 pm   #10
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Welcome to FT!, cbev86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbev86 View Post
.... Are there any ways around this (such as transferring to another program)? ...
sorry, no
WineCountryUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 12, 9:39 pm   #11

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz, IHG Pt (MC), Hyatt Discoverist (BiB,) HHonors Ag (Amex,) *wood, Marriott Ag.
If U or she gets a Chase Sapphire credit card, the bonus points for getting it &or the points earned for spending on it can be sent fee-free to anybody's UA account. U could deposit enough to her account to boost it to be enough for a 1-way award ticket which can be for anyone.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 12, 9:46 pm   #12

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
If U or she gets a Chase Sapphire credit card, the bonus points for getting it &or the points earned for spending on it can be sent fee-free to anybody's UA account. U could deposit enough to her account to boost it to be enough for a 1-way award ticket which can be for anyone.
Good idea. I already have Sapphire but will transfer her points to redeem for the next flight.
cbev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 12, 5:45 am   #13

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz, IHG Pt (MC), Hyatt Discoverist (BiB,) HHonors Ag (Amex,) *wood, Marriott Ag.
Chev86, you're welcome! So glad I could help!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 13, 7:04 pm   #14

Mom UA miles to Son UA miles

Hello, seniors I am a noob please advice me the cheapest way to transfer miles from my mom's UA account to my UA account.

so I have decided to book with United using 40,000 miles one way from TPA to DEL. Currently I have 34,000 miles in United and my mom has 8000 miles in United. I am thinking of taking 6000 miles from her account.

I was looking at Points.com and I believe their transfer fee is 10 dollars for every 1000 UA miles. Is it safe to transfer miles on that site and also how do you do it ? I think there it gives option to post a trade, if someone else clicks on that trade they can get it and I will be screwed ? I just want to transfer 6000 miles from my mom's UA account to mine. Thanks in Advance.
jamesbondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 13, 8:03 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondc View Post
Hello, seniors I am a noob please advice me the cheapest way to transfer miles from my mom's UA account to my UA account.

so I have decided to book with United using 40,000 miles one way from TPA to DEL. Currently I have 34,000 miles in United and my mom has 8000 miles in United. I am thinking of taking 6000 miles from her account.

I was looking at Points.com and I believe their transfer fee is 10 dollars for every 1000 UA miles. Is it safe to transfer miles on that site and also how do you do it ? I think there it gives option to post a trade, if someone else clicks on that trade they can get it and I will be screwed ? I just want to transfer 6000 miles from my mom's UA account to mine. Thanks in Advance.
I think UA charges $15 per 1000, but I believe its instantaneous which I dont think Points.com is. So you can call up and let the agent know what you want to do so they can hold the seat

If you plan on purchasing a tkt back, It will probably cost more for the 1 way then if you purchased a round-trip tkt. If you are planning to buy your way back, Id suggest you price the tkt and then decide if you still want to keep to your plans. Not coming back or will use a different alliance to get back no prob
craz is offline   Reply With Quote