Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA and Hawaiian Air (HA) will interline bags.

When checking-in with HA, no UA elite / credit card bag waivers will be recognized. Bag allowance will be based on ticket rules.

HA's policy on inter-island / Neighbor Island flights is no free bags in economy.
Print Wikipost

United & Hawaiian Airlines: Interlining bags, bag fees & other connecting experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Spg Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, United 1k

Flying in First Class from EwR to HNL, then travelling from HNL - OGG, on a separate reservation booked on Hawaiian Air. 2 Questions...

1) Can I check my bags through to OGG?
2) If I can check through, will i have to pay a baggage charge?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Since you are starting with UA in first, no fees on HA. Your bags will be interlined, although make sure the agent in EWR does this.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Correct, you will get the 3 at 70lbs baggage allocation. Just be sure to bring a copy of your Hawaiian Air Itinerary with you when you check-in with United.

Are you doing the same in reverse? If so, are you flying Hawaiian in First, connecting to United in First? Or Hawaiian in Coach, connecting to United in First?

If you aren't flying Hawaiian in first, you are subject to their baggage fees, which for interisland travel, would be 19,19,27 for your first three bags. Again, have a copy of your United itinerary as well.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kwildnj
...bring a copy of your Hawaiian Air Itinerary with you when you check-in with United.
Make sure it shows your HA ticket number.

Originally Posted by kwildnj
Are you doing the same in reverse? ... If you aren't flying Hawaiian in first, you are subject to their baggage fees, which for interisland travel, would be 19,19,27 for your first three bags. Again, have a copy of your United itinerary as well.
Please note that as of May 1, HA will no longer interline-check bags unless the subsequent segment is on the same PNR. This is going to be massively inconvenient.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
Wow!!! And people are upset with changes that United makes. The changes that I hate most are those that don't just cost more money, but create more hassle and headaches.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is a liability for HA if bags are interlined and something goes wrong. For instance, one of our employees was travelling DEN-LHR (UA-back when they had the service)-LHR-NBO on BA. It was all part of the same ticket in one PNR. Turns out that the UA agent manually changed the final destination and tagged the bag to FCO (Rome) on the very day that baggage handlers in FCO were on strike when the bag was supposed to go to NBO. Neither UA or BA could find it but it became BA's liability since they accepted the bag and it was a valid interline ticket in a single PNR. BA knew it was in Rome but with 1000s of other bags that were stranded. They found it about 6 months later, and BA had to pay compensation even though it was UA's fault.

If it were two separate reservations and the UA agent just sent it to a random destination, UA would have had to figure out what happened and would be liable. In one PNR, there is a much smaller chance that the bag will go missing as the computer should automatically print out the bag tag--unless the agent tries to be helpful and types in a different destination. With 2 tickets, the agent most likely will not be able to see the other reservation and are sending bags to a destination based on a piece of paper that the passenger presents. Who knows if that flight has been changed or canceled. The passenger could have the original print out but the flight number has since changed. When it gets to HA, they will put it on flight XXX when it should be on YYY or flight XXX does not exist at all.

This is standard practice. I have had LH refuse to check a bag on a flight connecting to AF when it was booked as a separate ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Make sure it shows your HA ticket number.

Please note that as of May 1, HA will no longer interline-check bags unless the subsequent segment is on the same PNR. This is going to be massively inconvenient.
That language has been removed from the site at least as of today.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:55 pm

I still see it in there....
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:12 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by 100countrygoal
Wow!!! And people are upset with changes that United makes. The changes that I hate most are those that don't just cost more money, but create more hassle and headaches.
There's no specific reason why they should interline bags on separate PNRs. On some occasions, I have paid quite a bit more to get flights on the same PNR so that I wouldn't have this problem.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: Delta, United, American
Yep... language is still there

http://help.hawaiianair.com/app/answ...1922#codeshare
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:43 am

So if we are flying UA into HNL on one PNR, how many hours do I need to collect my bags and then catch the HA flight to LIH? We are scheduled to arrive HNL at 2:20 pm and I haven't bought the connecting flight yet. (UA had NO availbility into LIH even on HA on the daywe wanted to travel - so one PNR was not possible.)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

I'd say 90 minutes at a minimum.

While it needs some updating, there is some good information about connecting/connection times at HNL et al HERE.

I'm really not sure why HA would be doing this; iirc, the responsibility for making sure the pax gets the luggage falls to the last carrier on the itin. Why wouldn't they want to shed that responsibility to UA? Is it possible that it is United who has decided it won't accept such bags?
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by clintonuws
If you type "baggage' under search, the same page comes up WITHOUT that language. http://www.hawaiianair.com/help/fees-id-1922
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:39 pm

But this page http://help.hawaiianair.com/app/answ...1922#codeshare

still says

Beginning May 1, 2012, Hawaiian will not through check bags to other airline flights unless the other airline segments are on the PNR for which the passenger is checking in.
The fact that HA has contradictory language on its website ought to come as no surprise to anyone, unfortunately.

I sure wouldn't count on being able to interline bags come May 1.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
But this page http://help.hawaiianair.com/app/answ...1922#codeshare

still says

The fact that HA has contradictory language on its website ought to come as no surprise to anyone, unfortunately.

I sure wouldn't count on being able to interline bags come May 1.
Interesting. Same id code (1922) but the baggage FAQ is more prominently displayed. Guess we'll find out Monday when it hits the fan at Dunkerly's office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.