"Same reservation" for non-Premier

Subscribe
Suppose I'm flying on a UA flight with a friend. We both have roundtrip reservations, but we're returning on different dates. Is there a way for me to "combine" these reservations so that I can get E+ seats both for me and for my non-Premier friend (on the flight we're together on)?
Reservations cannot be combined or linked.
Quote: ... Is there a way for me to "combine" these reservations so that I can get E+ seats both for me and for my non-Premier friend (on the flight we're together on)?
While separate reservations can not be combined (especially if a different itinerary), one (an UA elite) can request a (single) companion on the same flight to be guested into E+ to join you. Does not require to be a single PNR but does require a call and requires you also are in E+ (and not in a premium cabin). Can be done any time.
Quote: While separate reservations can not be combined (especially if a different itinerary), one (an UA elite) can request a (single) companion on the same flight to be guested into E+ to join you. Does not require to be a single PNR but does require a call and requires you also are in E+ (and not in a premium cabin). Can be done any time.
I know this was true before, but is it still true now? This link indicates that companions need to be on the same PNR.
Quote: While separate reservations can not be combined (especially if a different itinerary), one (an UA elite) can request a (single) companion on the same flight to be guested into E+ to join you. Does not require to be a single PNR but does require a call and requires you also are in E+ (and not in a premium cabin). Can be done any time.
Thanks. I'm Premier Platinum, does that mean I can do the same for up to 7 companions, in the new system?

Quote: Reservations cannot be combined or linked.
That doesn't seem right, I've been able to merge identical itineraries for different passengers, into a single reservation. The question is, when the itineraries share a flight but aren't exactly the same.

Another idea I thought of, is to book the passengers all together on the same itinerary, and then change it within 24 hours for some of the passengers. Can you use the 24-hour policy to make a change to the itinerary without paying a change fee? Or does it only let you cancel and make a brand new reservation?
Quote: Another idea I thought of, is to book the passengers all together on the same itinerary, and then change it within 24 hours for some of the passengers. Can you use the 24-hour policy to make a change to the itinerary without paying a change fee? Or does it only let you cancel and make a brand new reservation?
That will split the PNR anyway.
Quote: That will split the PNR anyway.
Sure, but I don't mind splitting. What I was thinking I could try is to book all of the passengers on the same round trip, use my Premier status to get E+ seats for everyone, then split the reservation, and change the return flights (if change fees are waived) for the non-Premier group.

I guess, come to think of it, I could just book a reservation including non-Premier and me, assign E+ seats for everyone, and then cancel myself leaving the others. I wonder if they detect this and take away the E+ seats from my companions. Anyone tried this before? Perhaps not intentionally (i.e., intended to travel with a group, then the Premier passenger had to cancel, do they take away the E+ seats from the remaining passengers?).