Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by worldflavor
Here is exactly what I sent in my UA e-ticket. (I booked in May)
Wed, 29AUG12 OZ3331 X SEOUL, REPUBLIC OF SOUTH KOREA
(ICN - INCHEON) 1:00 PM BEIJING, PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
(PEK - CAPITAL) 2:00 PM 777-200
Wed, 29AUG12 CA9552 X BEIJING, PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
(PEK - CAPITAL) 3:00 PM ULAN BATOR, ULAANBAATAR MN
(ULN) 5:20 PM 737-800
Unfortunately you found FT a little late! (but welcome by the way )

The essential thing to do with any partner award ticket is to call the airline scheduled to carry you, within 24 hours of the booking being made and ask them 'do you have a ticket number against this booking?'. If they don't you need to get back to your airline to have them sort it out asap.

Unfortunately you found out the hard way
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by channa
I believe one of the theories is that the ticket number never gets sent over from UA to the other airline.

Seeing that SHARES is the common factor in these dropped partner reservations reports (it was a problem with CO before, it wasn't a problem with UA, and now it is since UA moved to CO's systems), I think it's pretty clear that whatever they're doing in SHARES isn't very reliable with respect to partner awards.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I'm inclined to agree with this - it seems the ticketing airline failing to send the ticket number to the carrier. I have had this two times with tickets issued by US Air for travel on partners. That's why it is always essential to call the airline you are flying on and asking specifically 'do you have a ticket number against this booking?'. You must do this within 72 hours, and preferably within 24. That way any errors can be corrected before you lose the seat.

Having a PNR and being able to select seats or meals is no guarantee your reservation is ticketed!
I also agree it is UA that messed it up. I never had problems before with PMUA *A awards, but in a recent reservation involving an Asiana flight I found out that they do not have my UA ticket number. This was the first time it happened to me in many years. Luckily I read this thread early enough to fix the problem.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:55 am

Partner Award Flights no longer automatically listed on Manage Your Reservations?

Since the meltdown earlier this week of United's computer systems I can no longer automatically see my award reservations listed on the dot.bomb Manage Your Reservation screen for Asiana or Qatar Airways which I booked last month. However I can bring them up by explicitly entering the UA PNR and last name.

For a mixed UA-TK-LH award itinerary (first flight UA) that itinerary still shows up on the UA home page and Manage Your Reservations page.

Even though our trip isn't until next June after reading this thread I thought I best check things out, especially with Asiana.

On UA's website this morning I brought up our United PNR for our Asiana award trip ROR-ICN-HAN (by UA PNR & last name). I can see the UA 016 e-ticket numbers and the corresponding Asiana PNR identifier.

As suggested up-thread, I called Asiana at 1-800-227-4262. The very pleasant Asiana agent was able to bring up our Asiana PNR for the itinerary. I specifically asked if tickets were issued against this PNR. She did some checking and confirmed yes. I asked if she needed our UA ticket numbers for reference and she said they were already in her system and she asked "these are award tickets, yes?" I answered affirmatively and then asked her if she could assign seats for my son and I. Certainly, she replied, and assigned us to 2E/2F for ROR-ICN and 2D/2G for ICN-HAN. I think we're set but I'll check back early next year and again as we get closer to our trip.

I was able to bring up our PNR and assign seats on Qatar Airways website using Qatar's PNR for our HAN-BKK flight. As above, the only way to see the original UA award reservation for this trip is to explicitly enter the UA PNR and last name in Manage Your Reservations. Otherwise it is no longer listed.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
This just happened to an award reservation I made for a friend. I received UA and OZ confirmation numbers and even the UA ticket number.

However, I happened to look at my itineraries today and realized the OZ segment was missing. I had assumed that once I have the UA ticket number I was fine, but apparently not.

Of course, OZ no longer had award space, and any other routing involved leaving on a different day or an overnight somewhere. Because the travel had already started, and I was not sure if I could reach my friend, I insisted that they had to find a way to reroute her on the same day. Finally (after an hour), the UA supervisor called OZ and got them to open up award space.

As usual, UA kept blaming OZ (I was told over and over again that it was a schedule change until I pointed out the OZ flight is still leaving at the same time). Also the OZ agent told me the segment was cancelled for lack of a ticket number.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K; UA 1K
So far, so good. Booked a saver award seat in Business for my brother through UA all on OZ (HNL-SGN in Feb). Then I remembered this post and called them yesterday. Well, no, because their phone line cut me off like 12 times, but yeah, called to confirm and the OZ CSR said they were ticketed and seats were booked. I'll check in every now and again...any chance of the itinerary or segments getting canceled now?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just use checkmytrip to monitor any changes....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Just use checkmytrip to monitor any changes....
Checkmytrip doesn't work for UA issued PNR's
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It does when you get the OZ PNR and matkusopet would have probably gotten that when he called.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matkusopet
So far, so good. Booked a saver award seat in Business for my brother through UA all on OZ (HNL-SGN in Feb). Then I remembered this post and called them yesterday. Well, no, because their phone line cut me off like 12 times, but yeah, called to confirm and the OZ CSR said they were ticketed and seats were booked. I'll check in every now and again...any chance of the itinerary or segments getting canceled now?
The issue is generally because OZ doesn't receive 'payment' (a ticket number) within their hold period for award seats... which is like 72 hours. No payment = auto-cancel.

Once they have the ticket number then you can rest easy, unless there is a schedule or route change at some time before departure that involves a ticket re-issue... then I would call OZ again to make sure they have the new ticket number. (Or log in on the OZ site with the new ticket number to make sure it's in there.)

SQ is the same as OZ - they'll cancel without a ticket number pronto. But once they have them you're good to go.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
sorry to revive this again but i wanted to get some insight.

i booked honeymoon tickets LAX-NRT on ANA, then NRT-AKL (destination)-HNL (stopover) on NZ, then HNL-PHX-SMF on US.

this was booked about two weeks ago and i am able to pull PNRs and confirm ticket numbers against all the carriers and have gotten pdfs of the confirmations from each carrier.

how often should i monitor this booking and what if anything would cause it to go awry at this juncture?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddrost1
sorry to revive this again but i wanted to get some insight.

i booked honeymoon tickets LAX-NRT on ANA, then NRT-AKL (destination)-HNL (stopover) on NZ, then HNL-PHX-SMF on US.

this was booked about two weeks ago and i am able to pull PNRs and confirm ticket numbers against all the carriers and have gotten pdfs of the confirmations from each carrier.

how often should i monitor this booking and what if anything would cause it to go awry at this juncture?
once a week. The main thing you are looking for are any schedule changes which you want to catch and make sure they don't cause any misconnects. Even if it's a minor schedule change (that doesn't affect the overall pattern of flights) you may need to call the issuing agent for them to formally 'accept ' the change and make the ticket complete again.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
once a week. The main thing you are looking for are any schedule changes which you want to catch and make sure they don't cause any misconnects. Even if it's a minor schedule change (that doesn't affect the overall pattern of flights) you may need to call the issuing agent for them to formally 'accept ' the change and make the ticket complete again.
thanks for the feedback. would this show up as a "schedule change" on .bomb, or do I need to monitor each leg on the respective carriers' websites?

i'll keep an eye on it. hopefully NH, NZ, and US aren't as S/c happy as UA. i am just trying to avoid a problem that would force me to change onto the UA flight from LAX-SYD in order to get to AKL.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddrost1
thanks for the feedback. would this show up as a "schedule change" on .bomb, or do I need to monitor each leg on the respective carriers' websites?

i'll keep an eye on it. hopefully NH, NZ, and US aren't as S/c happy as UA. i am just trying to avoid a problem that would force me to change onto the UA flight from LAX-SYD in order to get to AKL.
I'd just check the itinerary on united. I noticed recently when my USDM issued ticket changed that the segments disappeared from United. Once USDM accepted the changes they reappeared. There is usually a note on USDM for example saying there has been a schedule change. If you are worried about one flight in particular, you can always just check that flight/s on the respective airline sites. Usually its not a problem. Just sometimes you can get caught out (like when UA changed their 3-class 767 to a 2 class ex CO bird... i had to call USDM to reschedule onto another flight offering F)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I'm scheduled to fly to Yangon on Friday from SFO and when I looked at my reservations this morning, I was greeted with an unpleasant surprise...one of my flights had disappeared. I had booked a revenue ticket from SFO to ICN and then a business class mileage ticket from ICN to RGN, which was actually an Asiana flight. When I originally called in, the agent told me the flight had been canceled via the web the same day it had been ticketed (Jan 4th), which I absolutely knew was not the case. Upon further investigation, it was confirmed that the ticket had been canceled, but it's not completely clear why (there was mention of the flight changing on Asiana's side and thus the ticket was canceled but not reinstated). This apparently happened on Feb 4th and sadly no notification via email or phone was ever sent out. I've been told that United has contacted Asiana and they are trying to get the ticket re-instated and I should call back tomorrow...I have my fingers crossed until then.

Note that in my case, everything was all set all around (reservation was showing up on United website from Jan 4th until presumably Feb 4th) and it was fine on the Asiana side at the end of Jan when I called them to get my seat assigned...then for whatever reason it disappeared.

I have another friend who has the same flight/class, but as one leg of a larger mileage ticket, and her reservation appears to be intact.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by uhezay
I'm scheduled to fly to Yangon on Friday from SFO and when I looked at my reservations this morning, I was greeted with an unpleasant surprise...one of my flights had disappeared. I had booked a revenue ticket from SFO to ICN and then a business class mileage ticket from ICN to RGN, which was actually an Asiana flight. When I originally called in, the agent told me the flight had been canceled via the web the same day it had been ticketed (Jan 4th), which I absolutely knew was not the case. Upon further investigation, it was confirmed that the ticket had been canceled, but it's not completely clear why (there was mention of the flight changing on Asiana's side and thus the ticket was canceled but not reinstated). This apparently happened on Feb 4th and sadly no notification via email or phone was ever sent out. I've been told that United has contacted Asiana and they are trying to get the ticket re-instated and I should call back tomorrow...I have my fingers crossed until then.

Note that in my case, everything was all set all around (reservation was showing up on United website from Jan 4th until presumably Feb 4th) and it was fine on the Asiana side at the end of Jan when I called them to get my seat assigned...then for whatever reason it disappeared.

I have another friend who has the same flight/class, but as one leg of a larger mileage ticket, and her reservation appears to be intact.
Please let us know how it gets resolved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.