Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's $75 Late Booking Fee? (Close-in Booking Fee)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United's $75 Late Booking Fee? (Close-in Booking Fee)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
was this within 21 days? (a PMCO rule and added to PMUA once they alinged the award charts) or to an international destination (airport fees)?
I believe the 21 day advance rule was put in place sometime last June. I remember because shortly after (and not having received any kind of notification from UA) I booked 4 reward tickets and was charged $75 for each. I called United and after being very polite but firm and being transferred to various supervisors, I was able to have the fees waived. This was only because the policy had just become active and they had not sent any customer communication. Now I know...
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:46 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Close-in booking fee; booked vs ticketed?

I booked an *A award with UA on 10 September for travel in mid-October. It turns out that they never ticketed it for whatever reason, and finally got around to calling me today after a 3-day weekend to "confirm" my credit card details. However, I was informed that I would now have to pay the $75 close-in booking fee since I am now within 21 days of travel.

I did not have time to argue as I'm at work, but is this correct? I thought the booking fee depended upon the date on which the flight was booked, not when it was ticketed. And since this seems like an error on UA's part (they never thought to email me in the week since the 10th), shouldn't I be exempt from paying this? I don't redeem much with UA, so I'd appreciate any advice.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:53 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
When you say they didn't ticket it "for whatever reason", what was the reason? You forgetting to ticket it? Or them having taken payment, but not ticketed it because of an error?
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by TA
When you say they didn't ticket it "for whatever reason", what was the reason? You forgetting to ticket it? Or them having taken payment, but not ticketed it because of an error?
How can I "forget" to ticket it? I booked it, then received the standard "We are processing your reservation and will send you an e-ticket confirmation once this has been completed...." message. I would think that it's then up to UA to swiftly ticket the award or contact me ASAP if there is something amiss. When they finally did contact me, all they asked was if I indeed wanted to go through with purchasing the award (and the additional miles required) and asked for my credit card details and UA PIN. I had already put in my credit card details when I booked the award with no hint of trouble, so I'm still a bit baffled why they needed to call me.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by armagebedar
How can I "forget" to ticket it? I booked it, then received the standard "We are processing your reservation and will send you an e-ticket confirmation once this has been completed...." message. I would think that it's then up to UA to swiftly ticket the award or contact me ASAP if there is something amiss. When they finally did contact me, all they asked was if I indeed wanted to go through with purchasing the award (and the additional miles required) and asked for my credit card details and UA PIN. I had already put in my credit card details when I booked the award with no hint of trouble, so I'm still a bit baffled why they needed to call me.
why the "additional miles"? If its a case that they screwed up and didn't ticket it properly I'd say you're due a refund, but the fact they also needed "additional miles" makes me wonder what happened.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
why the "additional miles"? If its a case that they screwed up and didn't ticket it properly I'd say you're due a refund, but the fact they also needed "additional miles" makes me wonder what happened.
I had less than the required number of miles for the award in my account, so I elected to purchase additional miles when prompted at the time of booking. I was charged both the taxes/fees for the ticket itself and the separate fee for the additional mileage.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I did not have time to argue as I'm at work, but is this correct? I thought the booking fee depended upon the date on which the flight was booked, not when it was ticketed. And since this seems like an error on UA's part (they never thought to email me in the week since the 10th), shouldn't I be exempt from paying this? I don't redeem much with UA, so I'd appreciate any advice.
I will say your case has merit for a fee waiver. You need to get a right person to get that waived.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
I will say your case has merit for a fee waiver. You need to get a right person to get that waived.
I've contacted UA by email to start, so I'll see what they say and follow-up with the Tokyo office as necessary.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by kwildnj
As a 1K, these fees would be waived, however. As a 1K who "hasn't booked a reward in 5 years", that must a nice little cache of miles
Or he has a lot of magazine subscriptions, stereos, and other consumer electronics!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:30 pm

I emailed MP and received a reply 3 days later apologizing for the error and promising the fee would be refunded. No muss, no fuss. Kudos to MP for their hassle-free follow-up!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:38 pm

reward see fee of $85. Whats this?

trying to book a reward flight. its charging me $85 in addition to the miles.

is it because the booking is to close in? the trip would start on wed Nov 21st.

Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by dlen111
trying to book a reward flight. its charging me $85 in addition to the miles.

is it because the booking is to close in? the trip would start on wed Nov 21st.

Thanks.
If you move your mouse over the fees, it clearly lists all of them.

Yes, this is the close in booking fee of $75, plus the two $5 9/11 security fees.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
award tkt booking < 21 day from departure date incurs $75 for general members, $50 for 2p, $25 for 1p, but free for platinum and 1k.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
On a related issue, I was hit for a $50 close-in fee (Premier Silver rate) but have the Presidential Plus card (and use it to pay for anything UA-related); everything about that card says the close-in fee is waived. Tried messaging UA Insider about it but haven't heard back. Can't get anyone else to help. What do do about it? Dispute with Chase? Hmm.

UA's page about the close-in fees doesn't mention it but should.

Last edited by UAzip; Nov 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm Reason: clarified that Pres Plus card is not only held but also used for tix
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by UAzip
On a related issue, I was hit for a $50 close-in fee (Premier Silver rate) but have the Presidential Plus card (and use it to pay for anything UA-related); everything about that card says the close-in fee is waived. Tried messaging UA Insider about it but haven't heard back. Can't get anyone else to help. What do do about it? Dispute with Chase? Hmm.

UA's page about the close-in fees doesn't mention it but should.
Email to UA Insider?

Why don't you simply call an agent and get them refunded? It is way much easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.