Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the rules for non-rev upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:25 pm
ufo
Original Poster

What are the rules for non-rev upgrades?

Had an interesting experience over the past couple of days with using a SWU (I guess GPU) for my wife.

We used them on an international W fare to Europe. The return leg was available at time of ticketing but the outbound was not.

At the 24 hour mark, the waitlist in the reservation expired, as expected and when we checked her in and she showed up on the 'stand-by' list that you can see right now only on the mobile site (mobile.united.com)

What was interesting, was that there were some other names on there, some of them above her on the list, and all the other names on there also on the flight general (coach) standby list and cleared. I called reservations to check my wife's standby was listed as a 1K per the GPU that was used, and the agent confirmed it was correct, and let slip that at least one of the others on the list was a 'pass rider' - which explains why they had cleared the coach-standby list and were added to the BF standby-list. (BTW, there were ample coach seats, so no reasons for someone who was a paying customer to be on the standby list)

So here's my question.... is there any circumstance that a non-rev can be higher up the standby list for Business class than a 1K GPU passenger?

Thanks,

UFO
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ufo
is there any circumstance that a non-rev can be higher up the standby list for Business class than a 1K GPU passenger?
NRPS (business related travel)?

Last edited by jhayes_1780; Apr 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:35 pm
ufo
Original Poster

but would this mean that they were just booked into business, or would they show on the general standby list as confirmed, and then end up on the business standby list despite there being available seats?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ufo
but would this mean that they were just booked into business, or would they show on the general standby list as confirmed, and then end up on the business standby list despite there being available seats?
Good point, I am not sure.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by ufo
.... is there any circumstance that a non-rev can be higher up the standby list for Business class than a 1K GPU passenger?
No, not in a ghetto chance!

BUT I'm sure many will say that there was foul play involved and that nonrevs are the devil etc etc. they can't have their water, they can't have their benifits they can't have their souls amirite?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Perhaps the non-rev was offered a TOD for tens of dollars?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ufo
Had an interesting experience over the past couple of days with using a SWU (I guess GPU) for my wife.

We used them on an international W fare to Europe. The return leg was available at time of ticketing but the outbound was not.

At the 24 hour mark, the waitlist in the reservation expired, as expected and when we checked her in and she showed up on the 'stand-by' list that you can see right now only on the mobile site (mobile.united.com)

What was interesting, was that there were some other names on there, some of them above her on the list, and all the other names on there also on the flight general (coach) standby list and cleared. I called reservations to check my wife's standby was listed as a 1K per the GPU that was used, and the agent confirmed it was correct, and let slip that at least one of the others on the list was a 'pass rider' - which explains why they had cleared the coach-standby list and were added to the BF standby-list. (BTW, there were ample coach seats, so no reasons for someone who was a paying customer to be on the standby list)

So here's my question.... is there any circumstance that a non-rev can be higher up the standby list for Business class than a 1K GPU passenger?

Thanks,

UFO
what flight?
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by ufo

Thanks,

UFO
I'm slightly confused due to how you worded it, but how far out from departure where you when you called?

Non-revenue pass riders are never automatically cleared prior to departure (even into coach). They are cleared at the gate, and only if its an especially empty flight do they even clear before boarding begins. This gives ample time for someone to make a SDC, be swapped over from another flight, etc. If there are pass-riders that are on a cleared standby list and standing by for business, they are likely positive space.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Hachiko
I'm slightly confused due to how you worded it, but how far out from departure where you when you called?

Non-revenue pass riders are never automatically cleared prior to departure (even into coach). They are cleared at the gate, and only if its an especially empty flight do they even clear before boarding begins. This gives ample time for someone to make a SDC, be swapped over from another flight, etc. If there are pass-riders that are on a cleared standby list and standing by for business, they are likely positive space.
but doesn't this change when they're flying positive space (for company business)? i had a family member last month that was flying positive-space and they had their seat assignments (in coach) well before check-in. in fact i remember clearly that my family member was changing seat assignments as better coach seats opened up.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 4:39 pm

no

non-revers on positive space (generally employees who are traveling for a business purpose) are ALWAYS behind revenue standbys. There would be no circumstance under which a non - rev positive space traveler should get an upgrade before a revenue employee.

non rev space available (generally those traveling for "fun" or commuting for work) are behind non rev positive space travelers for upgrades. They are at the bottom of the list after all positive space and revenue travelers are accommodated.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by ufo
No. But a NRPS/NRSA can bypass C and be cleared into F, if a seat is available, after all revenue pax are cleared.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
I know for a fact that SR MGMT at ual goes F even if it means pimping out upgrades..... i was on ua977 from DXB in jan and a s.v.p. from ual was seated across the aisle from me and initiated a "why do you fly ual conversation" about 30 mins after blast off from the emirates.... after i told him my likes and dislikes he gave me the typical response of we are aware of these issues, after arriving in iad he thanked me again and we went our seperate ways.

btw...a industry colleague was attempting to ug from full J and was told sorry...would have been nice if mr MC@#$%^& could have taken a J seat and listened to the real road warriors
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by cosflyer
I know for a fact that SR MGMT at ual goes F even if it means pimping out upgrades..... i was on ua977 from DXB in jan and a s.v.p. from ual was seated across the aisle from me and initiated a "why do you fly ual conversation" about 30 mins after blast off from the emirates.... after i told him my likes and dislikes he gave me the typical response of we are aware of these issues, after arriving in iad he thanked me again and we went our seperate ways.

btw...a industry colleague was attempting to ug from full J and was told sorry...would have been nice if mr MC@#$%^& could have taken a J seat and listened to the real road warriors
Senior management always goes first, to the best of my knowledge. I'm sure its part of their compensation/benefits package.

Employees who are traveling positive space (deadheading, traveling for a meeting/training/etc) are top priority in coach but still bottom priority for upgrading. An employee traveling positive space will have a seat assignment before arriving at the gate (unless the flight was sold out at time of booking, in which case they will have to get a volunteer/bump), and shouldn't appear on the stand-by list for economy, however they will appear standby for a higher class of service.

Unless he was calling somewhere around an hour from departure, I don't know who those people were that were cleared into economy. I had friends traveling two days ago and when I checked the standby list from home just to make sure things were square, I noticed there were 10-15 passengers "cleared" with seats, and they weren't nonrevs. The flight had about 40 open seats when I listed them, and even with those "cleared" standbys there were still about 40 open seats, so I'm not really sure where/why thats happening.

Who knows.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:46 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Shares is not designed for 3 cabin aircraft, after all, when has anyone recenly flown on a 3 cabin CO plane? This can make the upgrade list difficult to understand as it may show double upgrades, which since they are not permitted, requires a skilled (not me yet) agent to correct this.

Sr managers do not trump anyone of any status. They come after revenue and before space available. On the other hand certain officers and BoD book into whatever cabin they need/want. There is no need for some to be on the ug list, as they book as revenue, with a revenue price tag (there are IRS implications to ual corp on this.). As to their "status", I'll let you guess what the senior officers of UA have for status.

My guess is the ug list display was "corrupt" due to the 3 cabin issue, with y people listed for a double ug.

Last edited by fastair; Apr 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm Reason: added word "recently" to reflect that CO has not had 3 cabin aircraft "recently"
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:19 pm

Before the introduction of BusinessFirst, CO flew aircraft with 3 cabins.

I loved First Class on our 747's. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.