Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New UA Long Haul Route Changes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:27 am

Note that in the Summer 1 daily IAD-LHR is downgraded from 763 to 752. I still don't see any note of the EWR-FCO winter suspension. IAD-FCO goes to a 763 for the winter, still 3 class
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:35 am

That's just great, have an Aeroplan award booking on IAD-ACC in July. What a pain. Any guesses as to how soon the cancellation is going to hit the UA system? I want to proactive in getting rebooked, but right now it still appears possible to purchase IAD-ACC.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: SKEBB, UA Plat. , Club Carlson Red, Hilton Diam.
Where did you see EWR-CPH is shutting down? This is really bad news. Now only option to fly direct is on SAS with their torture hot cabins and patronising self-centered and arrogant stewardesses, that has no knowledge of focus or services for their passengers. :-(

Originally Posted by CALMSP
IAD-ACC service ends July 1. EWR-CPH ends Sept 23
Suspended service for the winter season for some trans-Atlantic markets, such as EWR-FCO and IAD-DME.

And, as known internally, redeploy some of the Boeing 763s freed up by these changes to replace Boeing 757s now on certain trans-Atlantic routes such as EWR-FRA, IAD-AMS and one EWR-LHR aircraft. Well, one is better than the two I was expecting.

More changes still to come, but haven't been published.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Yes but is that front cabin full of full-fare passengers or upgrades? If it's more upgrades than full fare than that is why the route is losing money.
It's mostly corporate fairly-full fare - so very surprised and disappopinted at this move.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
SK doesn't seem to have the problem CO/UA have on this route and they are all part of the same airline alliance.
To be fair, SK seems to have problems everywhere and I wouldn't hold them up as a model of success against UA.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They are ending the CPH service?

What a terrible move
+2
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by DBCme
Week #5.
And we continue down the list of changes we're gonna like.
we've just been "jeff'd up". Again.

http://www.airlinecrew.net/vbulletin...-so-Jeff-d-up-
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Thumbs up IAH - JNB...

I was told by a MP Agent that IAH - JNB was "in the queue" for the Dreamliners when delivered. Anyone else hear this?^
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sxf24
To be fair, SK seems to have problems everywhere and I wouldn't hold them up as a model of success against UA.
To be fair, SK hasn't had the benefit of declaring bankruptcy like UA/CO and yet SK has managed to stay in business as long as it has with a daily CPH-NYC route despite being based where higher labor market costs are a given, having somewhat higher other variable costs than CO/UA, and having no extraordinary breaks on capital costs.

I'm not holding up SK as a model of success in general, so who knows what utility is there in bringing up the canard of holding it up as such a model. I consider SK to have been a relative failure compared to various others, with an exception being in regard to a route that SK seems able to maintain in a way that UA/CO cannot despite having smaller metal birds and the benefit of US bankruptcy code to stay in business by restructuring despite what would have passed for insolvency in most of the other OECD countries. This route is NYC-CPH/CPH-NYC.

Originally Posted by ExRSA
It's mostly corporate fairly-full fare - so very surprised and disappopinted at this move.
When it came to non-stop flights connecting NYC with CPH, the back of the flying CO/UA bus wasn't being filled up well enough to make the route a success despite the action in the front of the flying bus. SK has been able to fill up the business class and economy class cabins far more reliably than CO/UA on this route despite flying much larger planes than CO/UA.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 3, 2012 at 10:40 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie
I was told by a MP Agent that IAH - JNB was "in the queue" for the Dreamliners when delivered. Anyone else hear this?^
Nope, and it's kind of an insane route: 9023 miles (vs 8134 from IAD) is a very long way. Compare with the IAH-AKL (which is a real route that's announced) at only 7415 miles, and you're talking about 20% longer.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
To be fair, SK hasn't had the benefit of declaring bankruptcy like UA/CO and yet SK has managed to stay in business as long as it has with a daily CPH-NYC route despite being based where higher labor market costs are a given, having somewhat higher other variable costs than CO/UA, and having no extraordinary breaks on capital costs.
I would call government funding an extraordinary break on capital cost.

Originally Posted by cl.lurker
we've just been "jeff'd up". Again.
Yes, because the airline is being run with a personal vendetta against certain customer groups and no regard for what is a sustainable business practice.

Either the idiocy in this forum is astounding, or we're seeing increasingly poor uses of sarcasm.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Probably because SAS is eating CO's lunch on it. Why fly a 757 Atlantic Regional Jet when you can fly on a real airplane on a better airline like SAS?

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
They are ending the CPH service?

What a terrible move
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
Probably because SAS is eating CO's lunch on it. Why fly a 757 Atlantic Regional Jet when you can fly on a real airplane on a better airline like SAS?
When SK only awards 967 miles for the segment, but charges you exactly the same as UA, I can find a real financial reason to fly UA. Now SK has a new earning scheme in the works starting in may (no more 25% earnings), so that may change my SK avoidance. It will be great to be back on the late ORD-CPH flyer.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So could a vendetta against certain customer groups include something like selling upgrades out from under your most elite customers for tens of dollars and then denying the practice?

Or like saying that the integration process has run as smooth as silk, while Mileage Plus balances are screwed up, upgrade systems not being run and mileage awards not being redeposited

Or like demanding upfront co-payment for upgrades plus miles and then not refunding upgrade co-pays when the upgrade doesnt clear? Just a few hypotheticals.

Naw, nothing like that could consitute a vendetta against certain customer groups.

Originally Posted by sxf24
Yes, because the airline is being run with a personal vendetta against certain customer groups and no regard for what is a sustainable business practice.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
So could a vendetta against certain customer groups include something like selling upgrades out from under your most elite customers for tens of dollars and then denying the practice?

Or like saying that the integration process has run as smooth as silk, while Mileage Plus balances are screwed up, upgrade systems not being run and mileage awards not being redeposited

Or like demanding upfront co-payment for upgrades plus miles and then not refunding upgrade co-pays when the upgrade doesnt clear? Just a few hypotheticals.

Naw, nothing like that could consitute a vendetta against certain customer groups.
A vendetta is a prolonged series of retaliatory, vengeful, or hostile acts. While there have undeniably been changes that we don't like, I think you're misguided about the motivation of recent business decisions.

Perhaps we could focus on constructive conversation rather than silly finger pointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.