Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice - 20Feb2017, loss paid F seat aassignment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Hi friends, always enjoy reading the posts.

Trying to keep this short. - 4 paid tix in F, equipment change in October, assigned seats 2 A,B,E,F. Last night, checked as my outbound is tomorrow. All seats on the return dumped. Now only 3 of 4 seats remain in row two. I call Exec. accounts desk and am told that they don't know why all 4 dumped, but they needed 2B for "operational reasons". I suppose a marshall, or something. Who knows. Now no seat to assign in the F cabin (757-200) 16BF seats. Advised cabin not oversold, but no seat to assign my 7 year old.
Putting him in the back...alone...is not an option. I'll go sit there if need be, but i'm looking for input from anyone here as to how i should argue this, if i get to the point where there is no seat in F for one of us. - I received no intelligent answer to my question of "if you need one seat for ops reasons, why not bounce a single traveler?".
Thoughts? Advice appreciated.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by conquistador74
...I received no intelligent answer to my question of "if you need one seat for ops reasons, why not bounce a single traveler?"....
Why would you think it is fine to discriminate against a single traveler? Totally inappropriate. Are you and your party all Global Services passengers on full F fares who bought your tickets 330 days before the flight? Seems to me that would be the only way your party of 4 would have priority to stay.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

As a matter of fact, not globals, but full fare and 330, yes. And i do believe it is entirely appropriate to pull one person, versus one out of a family of 4, and that one is clearly indicated as a minor.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Just because a seat isn't available for picking doesn't mean there aren't any seats available....?
Just wait till closer to departure time and if the flight isn't oversold, a seat will open. You'll just have to play musical chairs to try and sit together.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:32 am

Advised cabin not oversold, but no seat to assign
I don't see an issue yet. What's the flight?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Just because a seat isn't available for picking doesn't mean there aren't any seats available....?
Just wait till closer to departure time and if the flight isn't oversold, a seat will open. You'll just have to play musical chairs to try and sit together.
Thanks LAX. - Didn't need to be scolded before. Appreciate it. I fly enough to know musical chairs. Don't need to be together, just would like to be in the cabin, as paid. Exec. didn't make me feel more comfortable when I asked, "if the cabin is not oversold, I should assume that there will be a seat for him?" and the response received was "you can't assume anything!"

Just trying to be prepared as to what would be an appropriate request on my end if for some reason there isn't a seat.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I don't see an issue yet. What's the flight?
I wouldn't either, but didn't feel comforted by the agent at the Exec. desk.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2017 at 10:14 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a matter of fact, not globals, but full fare and 330, yes. And i do believe it is entirely appropriate to pull one person, versus one out of a family of 4, and that one is clearly indicated as a minor.
One of the other adults could be moved back. Solo business travelers should not be discriminated against just because they are travelling solo. Hopefully you eventually do get that seat, but demanding that you stay together as a family should work both ways. If the seat does not become available, would you demand all 4 be moved back to coach? Ah - I see - the "family together" only works one way...
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
One of the other adults could be moved back. Solo business travelers should not be discriminated against just because they are travelling solo. Hopefully you eventually do get that seat, but demanding that you stay together as a family should work both ways. If the seat does not become available, would you demand all 4 be moved back to coach? Ah - I see - the "family together" only works one way...
Did you read my message entirely? I said I have no problem sitting back there alone. I have a problem when it is not what I paid for and was questioning what my rights are if it were to happen.

Relax a bit. Try decaf. This wasn't singling out the business traveler, rather, why a family of 4 was plucked from, particularly an indicated minor. I do know 5 others in the same cabin and they weren't as lucky as I. They all have their seats.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
When you look at the reservation on line, are all four still in the same fare class? Or did they actually bump one of the four to a "Y" or below fare class? If all are still in some variation of F, you haven't yet been bumped. It may be a little stressful but should all work out in the end.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On the 16J 752, they will open 4A/B for assignment approximately 2-3 days prior to the flight.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Thanks LAX. - Didn't need to be scolded before. Appreciate it. I fly enough to know musical chairs. Don't need to be together, just would like to be in the cabin, as paid. Exec. didn't make me feel more comfortable when I asked, "if the cabin is not oversold, I should assume that there will be a seat for him?" and the response received was "you can't assume anything!"

Just trying to be prepared as to what would be an appropriate request on my end if for some reason there isn't a seat.

Thanks
It's good to prepare. I'd be asking the same questions if I was in your position. Yes, it's an inconvenience and I'd highlight that to the gate agent. But they often have little control as to when/how passengers seat assignments get removed. Although they should be able to tell you who did it, when, and why. (The why may just be "operational" if it's an air marshall, pilot rest seat, etc).

The Exec didn't give you the 'right' response I would've wanted to hear if I was a parent. Yes, there's a small chance that a downgrade could occur, but I'd just argue with the fact that if they downgrade the 7 year old minor, then they'd have to downgrade you too, because he's not sitting alone in economy. Given that information, UA 'should' ask another passenger to downgrade rather than downgrading 2.

But who knows how these things work! Let us know how things play out.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This thread should answer all your questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tc-2016-a.html
Old Feb 13, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
When you look at the reservation on line, are all four still in the same fare class? Or did they actually bump one of the four to a "Y" or below fare class? If all are still in some variation of F, you haven't yet been bumped. It may be a little stressful but should all work out in the end.
Dawgman, still in F. I appreciate your input! I'll enjoy, just didn't want to have to worry about it.

Originally Posted by Kacee
On the 16J 752, they will open 4A/B for assignment approximately 2-3 days prior to the flight.
Kacee, good to know. Thanks so much.

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
It's good to prepare. I'd be asking the same questions if I was in your position. Yes, it's an inconvenience and I'd highlight that to the gate agent. But they often have little control as to when/how passengers seat assignments get removed. Although they should be able to tell you who did it, when, and why. (The why may just be "operational" if it's an air marshall, pilot rest seat, etc).

The Exec didn't give you the 'right' response I would've wanted to hear if I was a parent. Yes, there's a small chance that a downgrade could occur, but I'd just argue with the fact that if they downgrade the 7 year old minor, then they'd have to downgrade you too, because he's not sitting alone in economy. Given that information, UA 'should' ask another passenger to downgrade rather than downgrading 2.

But who knows how these things work! Let us know how things play out.
LAX, for sure, I will! Thanks.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This thread should answer all your questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tc-2016-a.html
Thanks, mahasamatman. By reading those, i'm starting to rethink my decision to always select row two, straight across for my family of 4 on a narrow body. Seems that they are the first to be plucked from!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2017 at 11:15 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
This.

The explanation given is about the strongest acknowledgment of a bump for an air marshal possible (they are forbidden from explicitly acknowledging it). FAMs almost always sit in 2B or 2E, so it's not a question of targeting a single pax versus family of four.

Even if the flight is oversold, official policy is to solicit volunteers for the downgrade and then go by status and fare class, although lazy GAs will bump the F pax with no seat.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
This.

The explanation given is about the strongest acknowledgment of a bump for an air marshal possible (they are forbidden from explicitly acknowledging it). FAMs almost always sit in 2B or 2E, so it's not a question of targeting a single pax versus family of four.

Even if the flight is oversold, official policy is to solicit volunteers for the downgrade and then go by status and fare class, although lazy GAs will bump the F pax with no seat.
Ark, thanks. I do hope they'll open up row 4 and we can all be up front. Just would make life easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.