Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

I'm UA Gold, but UA.com is asking for money for E+ Seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So the fare was purchased via Expedia (not by me). I enter the RL and it shows up in my account, but when I try to change seats it charges me.

BTW its bloody expensive to buy E+. over $300 for a return trip to the east coast!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Expedia probably sold you a Basic Economy fare.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Have you tried calling in? That would seem to be way to take care of it if the website isn't doing it for you.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Expedia probably sold you a Basic Economy fare.
BE fares are not for sale yet.

Probably user error.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inpd
So the fare was purchased via Expedia (not by me). I enter the RL and it shows up in my account, but when I try to change seats it charges me.

BTW its bloody expensive to buy E+. over $300 for a return trip to the east coast!
Is your MileagePlus number on the reservation? If you had to enter the record locator, that suggests that it might not be. (You can put any reservation into your account, regardless of who's on it, if you know the record locator and a passenger's last name).
Old Feb 16, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
User error. Even though you could find the reservation logged in, your Mileage Plus account doesn't make the connection that the Expedia ticket is you. You need to add your MP# to the reservation. Just logging in and finding the reservation doesn't do it.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Or you can call UA and ask CSR to add your MP# in your reservation and assign you in E+.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
User error. Even though you could find the reservation logged in, your Mileage Plus account doesn't make the connection that the Expedia ticket is you. You need to add your MP# to the reservation. Just logging in and finding the reservation doesn't do it.
Got it. Thanks.

Is contacting United the easiest route? I didn't book the expedia flight someone else did for me.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Got it. Thanks.

Is contacting United the easiest route? I didn't book the expedia flight someone else did for me.
I just went thru something similar to this. I entered my MP numbers in an Amex Travel booking but they disappeared. Just call UA and get them reinstated and then you can grab those E+ seats.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
If you have a Known Traveler Number, check your reservation. If it is missing, enter it. I set up my profile with my KTN at ultimate Rewards, somehow it did not transfer to my reservation.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
If you have a Known Traveler Number, check your reservation. If it is missing, enter it. I set up my profile with my KTN at ultimate Rewards, somehow it did not transfer to my reservation.
This is definitely something that might have been needed...but KTN's have absolutely zero impact on whether or not you can get a free seat in E+. It's 100% tied to your mileage number
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Is contacting United the easiest route?...
Probably
Old Feb 16, 2017, 12:08 pm

I believe it is possible to add MP number online, once you have looked up the reservation.
I've done this with a number of reservations made through 3rd party sites. As long as your name and DOB on the ticket match MP account information, it should work.
There is a link on the reservation page to "Edit traveler information" - follow that link and at the bottom of the page you will see "frequent flyer information" section. Enter the number there, apply, and you should be able to instantly select E+ seats.

On the other hand, you may have to call to add the KTN to reservations not made on United site. When you add the KTN to such a reservation on United.com, it will most certainly *not* appear on the passenger information page (i.e. you will enter it, exit, return to the information page and KTN field will be blank). When I called about it, United CS usually told me they "see" the information on the record. However, not to miss TSA Pre, I always made sure they added it on their end. When they do so, it will appear on the passenger information page and, usually, in the additional details on the reservation page (and TSA Pre worked every time that way)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.