Longest route with a RPU

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Longest route with a RPU

In the spirit of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1-flight.html

I'm wondering what the longest possible itinerary that could be upgraded with a single RPU. And to paraphrase bhmlurker:

Upgradable with one RPU by everyday UA customers, no super circular routes, no zig zags, just a normal routing that UA call center would sell you. No weird routing that'd cause select UA employees to curse you out Oh yeah, the whole route must have F or C of some sort.

Is LIM-EWR RPU eligible? Otherwise what S. America origin gets you the longest RPU eligible flight to EWR (BOG? Quito only goes to IAH).

Then on to Hawaii. Does the single RPU then continue to be eligible on the island hopper flights?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
You could probably add on extra segments within CONUS - but how about something like HNL-SFO-IAD-STT or somewhere else in the Caribbean

Or - HNL-SFO-SEA-ANC-IAH-ORD-IAD-EWR-AUA
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:48 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

BOG-EWR-HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM-HKG-SIN...

GCMapper

However, I am not too sure if it is permissible under the fare rules... They might force you to buy BOG-IAH-NRT-SIN or BOG-EWR-HKG-SIN.

Last edited by golfingboy; Mar 29, 2012 at 11:50 am Reason: Wrong Origin oops
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by golfingboy

GCMapper

However, I am not too sure if it is permissible under the fare rules... They might force you to buy BOG-IAH-NRT-SIN or BOG-EWR-HKG-SIN.
The idea of using one RPU to get to SIN is pretty amazing, if permissable.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
The idea of using one RPU to get to SIN is pretty amazing, if permissable.
It is

We have CO Mike to thank for making this possible

The challenge will be trying to book the island Hopper between HNL and GUM..

Routing rules:

/VIA THE PACIFIC/
DOM ROUTE VALIDATION APPLIES WITHIN ORIG/DEST COUNTRIES
1. BOG-CM/UA-PTY-CO/UA-CHI/CLE/DEN/EWR/HOU/WAS-CO/UA-CHI/EWR/
LAX/NYC/SEA/SFO/SNA/WAS-CO/UA-HNL-CO/UA-GUM-CO/UA-HKG-UA-
SIN
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

RPUs are valid on CM, too, so you should be able to start even further south and route via PTY on the trip. :-:
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
RPUs are valid on CM, too, so you should be able to start even further south and route via PTY on the trip. :-:
Was not sure about that, so I stuck with UA

Nice to know, but they don't clear in advance?? Or you can upgrade in advance or waitlist on Copa flights? That means the furthest starting point will be EZE

EZE-PTY-EWR-HNL-GUM-HKG-SIN... Epic!

ETA: EZE is not possible due to routing rules...

BUE-CO/UA-CHI/CLE/DEN/EWR/HOU/WAS-CO/UA-CHI/EWR/LAX/NYC/
SEA/SFO/SNA/WAS-CO/UA-HNL-CO/UA-GUM-CO/UA-HKG-UA-SIN
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Good answers here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...izing-rpu.html
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS
Here is one I actually did under the old UA system with a GPU (FKA SWU).....(I realize this is a RPU question)

LHR-ORD-SFO-SYD-MEL-LAX-IAD-FRA

GCM
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
When you use an RPU and mix COPA and UA, the UA rules then apply.

For example, you could use an RPU on an all-COPA routing for EZE-PTY-ORD. You could not use an RPU for EZE-PTY-IAH-ORD because the legs on UA would force you to use a GPU.

Last edited by coolcoil; Mar 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm Reason: Provided better example
Old Mar 29, 2012, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
When you use an RPU and mix COPA and UA, the UA rules then apply.

For example, you could use an RPU on an all-COPA routing for EZE-PTY-ORD. You could not use an RPU for EZE-PTY-IAH-ORD because the legs on UA would force you to use a GPU.
I do not believe this is accurate. The eligibility of the upgrade is based on the segment to which it is being applied, and for flights ex-PTY the RPUs are valid.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Island Hopper!

GCMapper

As someone who has taken the island hopper (upgraded to F upon booking) and spent some time in Kwajalein and Ebeye, I'd have to say this flight is definitely one to take just as an experience. A daylong flight with 6 stops full of local islanders, many whom have never flown before, getting on and off the plane at each stop. The runways on these islands are a little two short for the 737 and the plane definitely goes hard on the brakes and reverse thrust on each touchdown. There is a mechanic onboard who the flight in coach who gets off and checks the plane at each stop as well...
Old Mar 30, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Nice to know, but they don't clear in advance?? Or you can upgrade in advance or waitlist on Copa flights? That means the furthest starting point will be EZE
They don't clear as far in advance so Uncle $misek can offer upgrades for cash.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I do not believe this is accurate. The eligibility of the upgrade is based on the segment to which it is being applied, and for flights ex-PTY the RPUs are valid.
You are correct, but I was talking about going all the way from EZE to ORD on one RPU.

You could use an RPU on UA for PTY-IAH-ORD. However, if you tried to use it for the full routing EZE-PTY-IAH-ORD you will get shot down. The UA reservation system will see that as a deep South America routing and require a GPU. This would be true even if you book through COPA with codeshares.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by coolcoil
You are correct, but I was talking about going all the way from EZE to ORD on one RPU.

You could use an RPU on UA for PTY-IAH-ORD. However, if you tried to use it for the full routing EZE-PTY-IAH-ORD you will get shot down. The UA reservation system will see that as a deep South America routing and require a GPU. This would be true even if you book through COPA with codeshares.
I still maintain that this is incorrect. RPUs are valid for EZE-PTY and PTY-anywhere. The online system might choke on it but an agent should be able to push it through without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.